FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Big Carp Chronicles  (Read 14033 times)

fontona19

Re: Big Carp Chronicles
« Reply #60 on: Jun 14, 2021, 09:35 PM »
your post have got me thinking of carp fishing.  i came in this morning and was checking out some vids.  came across this one of carp taking baits.  its amazing how many reject the bait.  it must be in heavily fished waters or something.

You might think so, but it generally takes a few pick ups before successfully hooking one most times. I have a water wolf camera, and have watched carp pick up baits countless times before being hooked. I have prioritized rigs that reset themselves and it has paid dividends.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #61 on: Jun 15, 2021, 06:06 AM »
What are “prioritized rigs”?
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fontona19

« Reply #62 on: Jun 15, 2021, 07:52 PM »
What are “prioritized rigs”?

As in I have made it a priority to only use rigs that reset themselves.

As far as not knowing your bait has been picked up. Most times you would never know. As tight as you can get your lines the carp can still spit your bait before it registers at the rod tip.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #63 on: Jun 16, 2021, 04:51 PM »
Lots of ways to skin a cat…….although I’ve never skinned a cat.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #64 on: Jun 17, 2021, 10:15 AM »
You might think so, but it generally takes a few pick ups before successfully hooking one most times. I have a water wolf camera, and have watched carp pick up baits countless times before being hooked. I have prioritized rigs that reset themselves and it has paid dividends.

According to many who fish for them they are a very intelligent species.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #65 on: Jun 17, 2021, 03:12 PM »
Well, they ain’t got no thumbs….so in my book….intelligence doesn’t apply.

Rg

taxid

« Reply #66 on: Jun 19, 2021, 09:48 AM »
Well, they ain’t got no thumbs….so in my book….intelligence doesn’t apply.

Rg

For a fish they are "intelligent." So it's a relative thing.

There are things fish are good at we couldn't dream of doing. Heck my dog can smell things 10,000 to 100,000 times better than me due to my 6 million olfactory receptors vs. a dogs 300 million, and my dog's brain specializes in smell to the tune of 40 X better.

Don't even get me started no how much better my dogs can hear than me.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #67 on: Jun 19, 2021, 09:50 AM »
BTW a fish can distinguish water temps as little as 1/10 a degree.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #68 on: Jun 19, 2021, 03:58 PM »
I’m trying to curb  my natural tendency to be factual…but…..intelligence and intellect are human traits and do not apply to other creatures. Simply because only human beings have that inherent self awareness and the ability to react upon feeling and fact.

I always taught my children that only humans have babies. Cats have kittens, deer have fawns, foxes have kits…..etc. There’s  a reason for this. I felt they needed to know their place in this world….and they do.

I’ll agree that carp can be very difficult to catch under certain circumstances. Stalking them in a clear water stream is difficult. Presenting a fly in a way that they see as food can be difficult. But not impossible for a logical, thinking, human being with intelligence and intellect.

Rg

taxid

« Reply #69 on: Jun 19, 2021, 08:55 PM »
I agree to a certain extent Rgfixit but I also believe we don't give animals enough credit.

If teenagers had predators we would've gone extinct a lot time ago.  ;D

PikeKing23

« Reply #70 on: Jun 20, 2021, 03:17 AM »
Lol. True!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #71 on: Jun 20, 2021, 06:41 AM »
A lot of the time they’re their own worst enemies.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #72 on: Jun 20, 2021, 06:42 AM »
A lot of the time they’re their own worst enemies. Gotta get back to carp one of these mornings. All of a sudden I’m very busy.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #73 on: Sep 04, 2021, 06:32 AM »
Was just down at the canal tossing some top water stuff. No takers but the carp are jumping……time to warm up the gear. Tournaments are over at the club so I’ll probably be back to 3 days a week. Weather is finally getting nice.

Need to catch up on some chores around the home. I’ll be out tomorrow morning.

Carpe diem!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #74 on: Sep 05, 2021, 09:07 AM »
Only for one in the rain this morning.

Not too big maybe 20” 4-5 lbs. but….it’s a start. Might switch over and try some cats later.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.