FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Halibut season is here!!!  (Read 5159 times)

Scalloper

• 73 lbs Atlantic Hal june 2009
Re: Halibut season is here!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jun 01, 2021, 09:16 PM »
good luck!
Odds are slim but if I have a hook in the water I have a chance.
Its a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Jun 09, 2021, 08:57 PM »

I have some fishing to do. Planning on the first trip later this week.

So those are tags you are given for your quota?

Sorry about all the questions but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishless12

« Reply #17 on: Jun 16, 2021, 01:57 AM »
The tags issued are your allocation for the season. More rules about the state waters halibut fishery can be found at https://www.maine.gov/dmr/science-research/species/halibut/documents/DMRHalibutComplianceGuide%202021.pdf

It's a little murky, but you have to keep in mind that these requirements apply to the state waters only, EXCEPT that if you are fishing in federal waters, OUTSIDE the state fishery you still need halibut tags to legally land the fish in Maine.

Scalloper

« Reply #18 on: Jun 21, 2021, 01:35 PM »
The tags issued are your allocation for the season. More rules about the state waters halibut fishery can be found at https://www.maine.gov/dmr/science-research/species/halibut/documents/DMRHalibutComplianceGuide%202021.pdf

It's a little murky, but you have to keep in mind that these requirements apply to the state waters only, EXCEPT that if you are fishing in federal waters, OUTSIDE the state fishery you still need halibut tags to legally land the fish in Maine.
Correct. Now that the state season is over if we want to fish we need to get a federal hand gear B permit (Free) and only allowed 1 per trip. That also needs to be tagged with the state tags shown. I did reach out to DMR and asked them why the recreational season did not go longer then the commercial season. There would be a few taking advantage of this fishery if they could stay up inside during the good weather months. The reply i got was the normal BS about over fishing blah blah. And I say that because recreational fishing for halibut with rod and reel or handline would have little or no impact on the stocks as success rate is quite slimm.

joefishmore

« Reply #19 on: Jun 27, 2021, 07:14 AM »
Did anybody get a halibut ?

joefishmore

« Reply #20 on: Jun 27, 2021, 07:15 AM »

woodchip1

« Reply #21 on: Jun 27, 2021, 11:52 AM »
They got a lot of TAGS!!!!!!!!

Scalloper

« Reply #22 on: Jun 30, 2021, 12:46 PM »
I have only had one opportunity to get out

taxid

« Reply #23 on: Jul 02, 2021, 05:49 PM »
I hope no-one minds I share this. This is a large halibut replica a fellow taxidermist did. (Matt Welsh) And no I am not advertising, just thought it looked massive and well done. I only mention his name to give him credit for the picture as he gave me permission. The replica is 6 feet 2 inches.

I didn't ask but probably cast from an Alaskan Halibut?

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

joefishmore

« Reply #24 on: Jul 10, 2021, 06:52 AM »
Woodchip, you could make one of those !

woodchip1

« Reply #25 on: Jul 10, 2021, 05:14 PM »
When there out of wood they are hard to eat!!!!

taxid

« Reply #26 on: Jul 14, 2021, 08:58 PM »
When there out of wood they are hard to eat!!!!

Fiberglass too which is what that is made of!

filetandrelease

« Reply #27 on: Jul 15, 2021, 04:35 PM »

Great replica 👍

lowaccord66

« Reply #28 on: Aug 11, 2021, 07:26 AM »
Correct. Now that the state season is over if we want to fish we need to get a federal hand gear B permit (Free) and only allowed 1 per trip. That also needs to be tagged with the state tags shown. I did reach out to DMR and asked them why the recreational season did not go longer then the commercial season. There would be a few taking advantage of this fishery if they could stay up inside during the good weather months. The reply i got was the normal BS about over fishing blah blah. And I say that because recreational fishing for halibut with rod and reel or handline would have little or no impact on the stocks as success rate is quite slimm.

No recs go to the ASMFC meetings and the commercial fishermen lobby hard for the season they have.  Try to go to a meeting...always weekdays during the workday.  Same madness with stripers.  Continue to reduce rec harvest while commercial harvest numbers remain very robust.  Spring inshore dragging banned last season and reversed this season.  Federal fisheries management is such a joke I stopped participating in the meetings.  All about $$$.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.