FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: the cicada bite  (Read 1653 times)

rivereddy

the cicada bite
« on: Jun 01, 2021, 08:00 PM »
I took the yak over to the river for a couple of hours this afternoon.  I used a black tiny torpedo and had a fair amount of luck.  The
key was to throw the bait beneath large old trees, let it sit for 30 seconds or so and then just give it a twitch.  It didn't work on every
tree but when it did the hits were major blow ups.  Rock bass, crappie, and smallies provided the action.  I wound up with a dozen or
so in total.  None huge, but none small either but the hook ups were a blast.  I probably had at least as many hits that didn't hook up
as well.  The best one was something that hit the lure so hard that it knocked it a good two feet. I twitched again and it blew up a 2nd
and a third time before it spooked wthout ever getting hooked.  Riprap, grassy banks, and logs in the water brought no hits.  I'm sure the fish were keying on the cicadas.  What a a blast

fish on,

rivereddy

Teacherpreacher

Re: the cicada bite
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2021, 10:04 AM »
Sounds like a BLAST! Tiny Torpedo still one of my go to surface baits for both large and smallmouths. Sounds like perhaps the three strikes without a hook up could have been a spawner just trying to get the disturber away from nest??? Or maybe not? Anyway, good you had some action.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

rivereddy

« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2021, 07:33 PM »
I went over again a couple of hours ago.  The "cicada chorus" is getting louder and the Tiny torpedo got
quite a workout.  I fished for a little less than an hour and had about a dozen hits - landed 7, 4 smallies
3 rock bass.  Comfortable temps, no bugs. crazy fish.  Gotta love it

fish on,

riveredddy

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2021, 09:06 PM »
I have not seen or heard one yet.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Hexagenia51

« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2021, 10:23 PM »
Same here Cecil must be in a dead zone around here! Hex

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2021, 05:29 AM »
Maybe it's the farm pesticides?

Someone did tell me you need to be a forested area. Whether that's the case I don't know.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rivereddy

« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2021, 08:02 AM »
Very spotty here as well

fish on

rivereddy

bigr

« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2021, 11:19 AM »
none in Wabash county

rivereddy

« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2021, 10:01 AM »
Just got back from a lake in Henry county, not Summit, that was in the middle of the cicada breakout.
We noticed mats of dead/dying cicadas wherever the water was calm.  Every now and then we'd hear
a large "SLURP" and see the splash where a fish picked one off of the surface. The gills and redears
are both on the nest and any shallow water that wasn't too weeded up yielded immediate hits.  We
caught good numbers on beemoth released all of them.

It must be noted that every shallow flalt that we paddled over (canoe) was speckled with spawning redds.
We literally saw hundreds of them.  It should also be noted also that some of the female bluegills caught
were bulging with eggs yet were only 4 1/2 -5 inches long.  Same for the redear.

Bug noise is picking up around here.  Another trip to the river is called for.

fish on,

rivereddy

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2021, 06:29 AM »
Go get 'em Ed. Still no Cicadas here in Hobart.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2021, 12:46 PM »
Won’t see cicadas  here till Brood IV emerges in 2034. We do get some annual species that hatch on a 4- 5 year cycle. I remember seeing them in the locust trees at our family cottage on Lake Ontario. That was 65 or so years ago.

Gotta be fun to toss a cicada fly around with a hatch that big. I like the mini Torpedo idea too.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.