FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623783 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3600 on: May 11, 2018, 05:53 PM »
it's  steve farrars  sf fiber flash blend think I  ordered that on  line ...I see  ebay has  a  good  supply  I really like it

big al I  think I  used   zap a gap  or  super  glue gel
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

boondox

« Reply #3601 on: May 11, 2018, 07:58 PM »
@seamonkey84

Not sure if your the one going to Canada soon?? but try some lefty's decivers and clouser minnows  then combine the two and make some  half and half's  and maybe a bend back or two..if you need know how on any of those just ask.. white and red or chartruse or orange .. and black and similar  colors also olive and yellow with barred olive hackle makes a good perch deciver..

Also orange and  bright greens like fire tiger etc do wonders to I always use five minute epoxy on mine for head cement make them last that much longer... when vicious stike form salt and fresh speices..

bigal409

« Reply #3602 on: May 11, 2018, 08:42 PM »
Thanks trapper. I think I used gorilla glue. Didn't hold after being in water for a while. I'll try the super glue gel.

bigal409

« Reply #3603 on: May 11, 2018, 09:27 PM »
Any body ever use combed out yarn to make craft fur? I'm making some real nice stuff with it .

seamonkey84

« Reply #3604 on: May 11, 2018, 11:17 PM »
Boondox- no I’m not going to Canada but that sounds like an interesting fly, I’ve already done deceivers but don’t have the dumbbell eyes for the clousers. I love the orange and green combo, I was going for a fire tiger color on those last flies. For building the head and cementing the eyes, I used Sally’s 3D gel coat since I didn’t have uv resin or epoxy.

Bigal- I once saw a video of someone combing out lengths of yarn to make fur and dubbing material. They used a dog slicker brush, the ones with lots of little metal teeth.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

boondox

« Reply #3605 on: May 12, 2018, 12:50 AM »
Boondox- no I’m not going to Canada but that sounds like an interesting fly, I’ve already done deceivers but don’t have the dumbbell eyes for the clousers. I love the orange and green combo, I was going for a fire tiger color on those last flies. For building the head and cementing the eyes, I used Sally’s 3D gel coat since I didn’t have uv resin or epoxy.

Bigal- I once saw a video of someone combing out lengths of yarn to make fur and dubbing material. They used a dog slicker brush, the ones with lots of little metal teeth.

No problem was thinking your going to canada with all the pike flies your tieing?? what aboUT bead chain they use for pull chains on lights?? Found at most harware stores?? same with 5 minute Devcon epoxy??  I cut two beads off the chain and wrap a x threw it..  that or get some glass seed beads at walmart and some heavy monofiliment and melt the ends so the beads don't fall off.. then wrap a x threw center of beads to hold to shank.. if you use Glass beads there heavier then  steel bead chain.. I like bead chain cause in shallow weed beds the fly stays up in the top of the water colum.. with the heavy beads you get a more eratic swimming action . Like a fall and rise as you strip the fly in and pause in between strips .. don't forget eyes like 3D molded eyes my favorite for decivers I put tem in the epoxy when I make the head.. if you have powDer paint or any kind of coloring dye epoxy can be dyed to match thread wraps.. just thrown out ideas..

bigal409

« Reply #3606 on: May 12, 2018, 04:53 AM »
Your correct seamonkey.That's how I do it. There's a few YouTube  clips out there showing how to do it. Can only use certain kinds of yarn as some don't come out good. I've got some great colors out of mine.

MattyP123

« Reply #3607 on: May 12, 2018, 07:43 AM »
What kind of yarn comes out best bigal?

Bartman44

« Reply #3608 on: May 12, 2018, 08:15 AM »
I haven't contributed much lately but here's a few I tied recently for striped bass  with dragon tails. These are about 6/7 inches long

seamonkey84

« Reply #3609 on: May 12, 2018, 08:20 AM »
I have my share of seed beads already, just haven’t used them as eyes like that yet. I used the glass beads in place of metal bead heads and to build bodies, just for fun and to do something different. Here’s some bead flies I tied almost two years ago

Top left going clockwise: shufelt special (minus the golden pheasant tail), then my favorite Landlocked Atlantic salmon fly the Montreal wh*re, an orange and black woolly bugger, and a green caddis with peacock herl.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3610 on: May 12, 2018, 03:34 PM »

....I believe we use the same kind

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3611 on: May 12, 2018, 03:42 PM »

..this is good to I think it's better it's more straight of a yarn not as much of a twist

bigal409

« Reply #3612 on: May 12, 2018, 05:30 PM »

I find the lion brand works the best. I get it at Walmart. Comb it out with a dog brush.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3613 on: May 12, 2018, 05:45 PM »
Boy....you guys have the bug bad.  :laugh:

It's addicting ....isn't it?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

MattyP123

« Reply #3614 on: May 12, 2018, 07:31 PM »
Thanks big guy and big al. Bob I havn't even ordered the pike fly line and I've got slutty pike flies on the brain  :w00t:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.