FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Braid  (Read 5930 times)

joefishmore

Braid
« on: Jul 07, 2018, 10:41 AM »
Anybody tried waxing braid to get less knots ?

stguy

Re: Braid
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2018, 05:38 PM »
I run braid on all my down rigger  rods and every 5-6 trips out I'll cut off about 20' and tie the leader back on,  one of the costs of doing business.

I also run two of the best barrel swivels you can buy and find the line will still twist.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2018, 07:52 AM »
I’m sure I could google it, but what is the advantage of running braid while trolling in Maine?
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2018, 09:18 AM »
I’m sure I could google it, but what is the advantage of running braid while trolling in Maine?

No line stretch
Doesn't go to crap in the sun and ozone like mono, so lasts WAY longer
Small line diameter vs mono which allows it to sink quicker and deeper.
Typically, higher break strength per pound test rating - which I still cannot understand why.

I use braid on all rods except my steelhead rods and leadcore setups.
I then either clip on a floro leader or splice it to the braid.
Unless I'm dragging a diver or dipsey, then I use a leader after the diving device.

stguy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2018, 07:31 PM »
The braid  is half the diameter of the equivalent mono or flouro which equates to the line cutting through the water a lot easier so you get a lot less blow back or ballooning, It makes a huge difference once you get down below 50 feet or so.

Like mac said, it has zero stretch which really makes reading your rod tip easier, if you get a small fish that doesn't set the release off or one that just swims with boat you'll be able to tell.

It is also very abrasion resistant and almost impossible to put a nick in, doesn't kink and looses little or none of it's strength with a knot in it.

It does have some drawbacks, the worst is its ability to twist and get tangled, it is very smooth and slippery so yours knots have to be good and it doesn't work well with the clothes pin style release and with the chamberlains you have to give them 5 or 6 extra twist to keep it from pulling through the clip.

JDK

« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2018, 05:45 AM »
Anybody tried waxing braid to get less knots ?

What type of reel (spinning, conventional, etc) are you using and how are you fishing it (casting, trolling, etc)?
# SAND

joefishmore

« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2018, 07:19 AM »
The question was , is anybody waxing braid.

stguy

« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2018, 11:41 AM »
I'd say the answer is no

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2018, 11:49 AM »

I also say nay , but I’ve never used braid above 10# , but not all braids are as forgiving as others

KingPerch

« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2018, 02:28 PM »
I use braid from 8#-50#.... never had the need to wax it. There are line dressings out there that I use on flouro when filling reels. Never on braid though.
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

KingPerch

« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2018, 02:31 PM »
I might add... that when filling reels with braid... reel it inline off the spool. It seems to help with line twist some. IMO
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2018, 12:32 PM »
Never heard of waxing braid....try it out and let us know lmao!

If you are getting lots of knots with braid...you either overfilled the spool or are creating "wind knots" by reeling in loops of line...usually happens when you are fishing something that you pause and retrieve...

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2018, 04:40 PM »
There are a lot of things that never used to get waxed... We wax our bow strings, maybe he's on to something.

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Jul 16, 2018, 04:44 PM »
People used to wax mustaches

8)

woodchip1

« Reply #14 on: Jul 16, 2018, 07:24 PM »
Braid has more friction than other line . If it is not lubricated it will break in an area that has had the most tip friction . People who do not wax or lub their braid loose a lot of lures with good amounts of line. good quality mono gives better life and does not absorb  feel of what is happening at hook end. ( Sea gar Gatsu)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.