FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Vexilar in the boat  (Read 7419 times)

BlackIce

• MFF Mod Team
  • R U scared
Vexilar in the boat
« on: Mar 07, 2004, 07:36 AM »
How many of you use your Vexilar in the boat as well as on the ice?
Stop Lurking -  Join today!

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Vexilar in the boat
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2004, 09:02 AM »
I don't even take mine out of the genz box I have for ice fishing. All I do is hook it up to my trolling motor transducer and run it off the same battery I do for ice fishing.
Ken A.

jigerjim

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2004, 12:29 PM »
I rigg my Transducer to a boom on my boat. The transducer is hanging off the side of the boat about 3 feet, I can sit on my pedestle seat an fish right over it just like ice fishen, vertical jiggen I hold my position with my foot controle moter. If it get's to windy I ancor. It's just like ice fishen with out the cold.
All way's keep your line wet

Scott

• Administrator
  • Jig Jig for a big pig
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2004, 09:23 PM »
It's very nice when your in somebody elses boat to have your own locater. I bring mine all the time lost without it.

-Scott

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2004, 01:14 PM »
I've been doing the same as Bean for about fifteen years now. It's easy, you don't have to buy another unit and because it's portable you can remove it each day and don't have to worry about it being stolen.  ;)
Those who are brave are free ..       

BlackIce

• MFF Mod Team
  • R U scared
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2004, 09:19 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I may take the Vex out this summer and give it a try.  Would using an ice rod to jig off the side work or not?
Stop Lurking -  Join today!

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2004, 10:04 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I may take the Vex out this summer and give it a try.  Would using an ice rod to jig off the side work or not?

It will work if you are anchored or drifting very slowly. I've heard of other people doing it so I know it works. I wouldn't do it in any type of wind though.
Ken A.

jigerjim

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2004, 10:21 AM »
I use a 5 1/2' UL rod. The transducer is on a boom 3' out the side of the boat. With that lenght rod I just drop it along side of the transducer

crappieloo

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2004, 05:57 AM »
I use a 5 foot rod when vertical jigging on my canoe, but is a pain because of where i set my fl-8 and clamp-on trans. I have to kinda lean backwards to keep my jig in the cone area. This year i going to buy a 4 footer or 3&1/2 foot jigging rod, that should work perfect for me.
crappieloo

shwung79

• Bite My Worm!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2004, 08:15 AM »
Are you guys still using the ice ducer in the summer?  How good does that work for you?
Kevin McGrath

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2004, 04:04 PM »
shwung79,
      When I bought my Vex it came with the ice ducer. At the same time I bought a separate trolling motor transducer and it is tie-wrapped onto my trolling motor. I leave the ice ducer at home in the summer and just hook up the trolling motor transducer to my Vex. I guess you could use the ice ducer if you clamped it onto a piece of pvc or wood dowel and also had that clamped onto the side of the boat. You don't want the transducer to be swinging around. It has to be stationary for optimum display.
Ken A.

jigerjim

« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2004, 06:32 PM »
I'm useing the ice ducer, I just take the white flote off and use the little black one that's on the cord. I hang it on a I bolt just so the transducer is about 2 -3" in the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.