FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Oliver lake report (fish story)  (Read 2002 times)

A- Bomb

Oliver lake report (fish story)
« on: Nov 09, 2020, 07:46 AM »
Well with the weather being so nice i decided to take care of some boat issues and put on my new lower unit.  Well that all went well but the break in called for 5 hours below 2500 rpm....ummmm how boring is that.  Well i decided the only way i could possibly do that and not be bored to death was to go troll Oliver for trout. 
I hit the water about 9 am and just put it in gear, turned on the electronics and settled in for a long boring day.  At least the scenery is good there was the plan.
So i sent back a bait and the troll was on.  To my surprise after about 100yds i got slammed!!!  i missed it but hey it was a start! As always at oliver i went straight to the windiest shore.  my boat was idling about 4.6 mph...a tad fast so i filled the livewells and tucked the motor and put the trolling motor down.  that got me to 3 mph into the wind, 3.7 down wind.  My spoons were spinning so fast they looked like drill bits!
So broke out the baby x rap and it was at least tracking straight.  i was marking fish about 20' down but nothing higher. i put on side image and started seeing things out about 20-30 ft.  those fish wanted nothing to do with the boat.  i had nothing that would get anywhere close to 20' down so i did the only thing i could think of....dumped the spool od 8# braid!  about 100-150 yds back.
well that was the ticket.  i was sweeping the rod and as it would stop on the fall back is when i would get a hit.  i was going so fast i think they were following it and when it stopped they ran into it. i found most of the fish over 70' of water on the windy side.  if i got under 50 i never got hit.  Just out in the middle of nowhere and could only get hit going down wind.  it sucked as i couldnt just reel up and run i had to idle all the way back up lake, up wind to make a pass again.
All went well with the motor break in and here is the tally!!!
I managed 12 solid hits.
hooked up with 9 fish.  i had no net and never shifted out of gear ( break in rules) and had to fight the fish from 100-150 yds back ( dragging them basically)
i got 8 to the boat, tried swinging them but 6# line, tiny hooks...well only 3 actually made it in...... However....
i had 2 in the 14-16" range that did.
i had one brown up to the boat that was a solid 18+ i just couldnt get a handle on the slippery guy but was definatly pretty!!
and the other one that made the boat...and made my day!
probably my personal best from Oliver.
a beautiful 26.5" rainbow.  about 5.2 pounds!!!
After the long fight in she was a bit loopy.  I didnt want to just dump her back to have her float later so i already had the live well full, added some stay alive, kicked on the fill and aerators and let her hang out in the triton day spa!!
At the end of the day she still wasnt sitting straight and was nose up in the livewell.  well i dont eat fish but i wasnt sure she was gonna make it so she got to come home for an overnite stay. Ran arreators all night and.  Good news!!
i got up sunday, opened the well and she was happy, spunky and splashing.  i shut the lid and headed back to oliver to finish the lower unit break in ( 3 more hours ) and got out to about 70 fow and she just let me pick her up and slide her back in the lake! She torpedoed across the top and then she disappeared.
took her out of the livewell at home for about 30 seconds.  Quick pic, quick wet weight and a tape measure!
So not a bad weekend. Boat is broke in, hit 69mph but ran outta lake lol.  Caught a giant and got her back released all okay
THAT was a good weekend.
if someone wants to post the pic let me know and ill txt it to ya.
And good meeting Buck at the launch as i believe he visits here too!
so she is back out there....waiting for ya!!

Teacherpreacher

Re: Oliver lake report (fish story)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2020, 09:26 AM »
Great report A-bomb.
Strange how some times doing something totally out of the ordinary brings good results.
Glad you got break in accomplished!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2020, 10:44 AM »
Good story, thanks 4 sharing.

A- Bomb

« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2020, 11:12 AM »
ya, i dont think i would have chosen to troll at 3.7 mph under any given circumstance lol
guess it was like just burning a rattle trap for bass....
just a reaction bite as it was flying by overhead!!

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2020, 01:17 PM »
Interesting thing is that fish has held over for at least 4 years. So some are holding over. It doesn't have the body confirmation of a brood fish on pellets and Indiana hasn't had brood fish for several years anyway.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2020, 07:33 PM »
Nice report, and very nice fish!

A- Bomb

« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2020, 06:56 AM »
i was wondering if she was a brood fish the dnr might have slipped in, i was hoping it was a holdover. It was cool seeing a trout with all its fins,  nothing clipped, nothing worn down from the concrete runs. She was pretty pristine.  I wish i would have gotten a pic after a night in the livewell as she was bright and had a full crimson stripe!
I have been wondering how long she has been swimming around in there as i have no clue what the growth rate in that lake is.  With no shad and just bugs, glass minnows and some fry she was very healthy.  It would have been cool to get a girth as she was super thick across the back and pudgy thru the mid section.  But knowing she was going back i didnt want to mess with her just for all that.
four years in Oliver..... that fish has seen her share of corn, worms, spoons and shinny things lol!

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2020, 12:09 PM »
At least four years maybe more?

INDNR no longer keeps brood fish rainbows for inland stocking. They get the sterile diploid eggs (not triploid) shipped to them from Washington state. (Trout Lodge). Elminates any facility needed to hold broodfish and reduces labor.  Therefore reduces expenses. A lot of private trout hatcheries no longer keep broodfish either.

https://www.troutlodge.com/en/

This is a little dated from a proposal I put together back in 2000 to get a special trophy reg on brown trout, but it can give you an idea of growth rates. The data is from the INDNR. Brown trout might not grow as fast now as there were smelt in the lake at the time. OTOH brown trout can adapt better to a lack of coldwater forage vs. other salmonids. I.e in New England coldwater forage are imperative for landlocked salmon to do well. Not so with brown trout. Brown trout also handle marginal water quality better. 

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

A- Bomb

« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2020, 02:16 PM »
Thank you,
They grow faster than I thought!
My pb bow before this was about 22”
She sorta blew that away.

I hope someone gets to enjoy her again as much as I did!

On a side note: hmmmmm triploids....
Well since they don’t reproduce anyways that could be fun if they stocked those eating machines.  Got a few pics from the late 80’s, 1989 I think , of a couple I caught from trail creek. Kings I think, darn I’m getting old! You could put a saddle on those things!!!

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2020, 09:15 PM »
Not triploids.

Sterile diploids. Normal chromosome numbers but sterilized somehow. At least that is what the report says and one biologist aid tells me.

Max growth for trout according to one of my trout culture books is 1.5 inches per month. Gary Hudson northern regional supervisor once told me they grow about a half an inch a months in the lakes when temps are optimum.

Here's lots of information on the trout program in Indiana.

https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Inland_Trout_Strategic_Plan.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3CVbEfUKN6D8BSh-rsQSe3jDGA3zBdvHX7m7FwVx57cPwaaCeIKXxoPNI

staubsaugen

« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2020, 04:56 PM »
Well that fish story might make me give Oliver another try yet this fall. last trip I took my boy landed one trout on a spinner after several hundred casts. I managed a couple decent gills and some small bass.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2020, 09:27 AM »
The only reason I would fish the lakes would be to target outlier browns like this one pulled from Oliver years after the smelt were gone. Or target the few monster pike in the lake chain. Interestingly I have seen it mentioned several times in Maine Fish and Wildlife surveys that browns are capable of getting large without a coldwater forage like smelt in comparison to their landlocked salmon. And they plant browns in waters that get too warm from other species of trout. Of course a coldwater forage would be more optimum.

OTOH having my own private trout pond has ruined trout fishing for me in the public lakes. Anything under 5 lbs. is ho hum for me as I can produce double digit browns and bows easily in just three years, and brook trout twice the weight of the state record. When I pull in a skinny 14 inch rainbow from Oliver or troll all day and catch only stocker size trout I am underwhelmed.

bogtrotter

« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2020, 05:01 PM »
Our hearts go out to you, Taxid!

We'll play the world's smallest violin for you.  :laugh:

It must be a terrible burden having your own trophy producing trout pond.   ::)

Talk about your First World problems! LOL

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2020, 05:19 PM »
Our hearts go out to you, Taxid!

We'll play the world's smallest violin for you.  :laugh:

It must be a terrible burden having your own trophy producing trout pond.   ::)

Talk about your First World problems! LOL

Thank you. I really appreciate that. Now I feel better.

:rotflol:

Keep in mind I can't fish the pond anytime I want. I raise them to sell and harvest is once a year at most. It takes about 3 years to get them to the 4 to 7 pound range.

Catch and release kills some of them no matter how careful I am or how quickly I bring them in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.