FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: pike  (Read 13156 times)

Jackfishhunter

Re: pike
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2007, 07:38 AM »
Another vote for coating and frying them. After filleting cut into smaller cubes and then coat, make your own fish nuggets, the kids love em this way.

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2007, 09:29 AM »
Take the "easy" fillet on the top (from a hammer handle) and throw the rest away.  Deep fry w/ beer batter or fish crisp.  Pretty good!!  A little stronger than eye or perch. 

Skeeder II

• Empty Hook
« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2007, 05:46 PM »
relish mayo and fresh squeezed lemon
cant get much easier mmmm
If you want a little bite add tabasco.

Gamedog

• If it swims,walks or flies, it dies!
« Reply #18 on: Apr 18, 2007, 09:36 AM »
Take the "easy" fillet on the top (from a hammer handle) and throw the rest away.   
There's no need to waste the rest of the fish. If ya don't know how to debone Northerns , maybe try pickling them or try some catch and release . Let em grow up a bit ;D

JackAttack

« Reply #19 on: Apr 25, 2007, 10:58 AM »
Hey there.  I hate to be a party pooper, but can't you guys just eat around the bones!  I've been eating pike for years & have yet to de-bone one.  You don't lose any meat & as long as you are careful, you can still enjoy the great taste of pike.  And by chance you do happen to get a bone caught up,  have a cracker handy & the bone will go down with the cracker.   As for a recipe, I just use bread crumbs & lemon pepper & fry in margerine and my fiance coats fillets with a combo of flour, lemon pepper & seasoning salt & fry in margerine
in a cast iron fry pan over an open fire.  Nothing beats it.

MXFisher

• One more cast!
« Reply #20 on: Apr 25, 2007, 11:08 AM »
PICKLE THOSE PIKE!!! ;D ;D
Pickled pike are great eating. ;D Don't have to worry about Y-bones either. ;D Sometimes I will fillet them and roll in batter and pan fry. :) Not the best eating but not bad either.  ;DThere are some excellent pickling recipes on the sister site www.iceshanty.com. Lots of good info there too. Check it out.

Best way I've ever had them! The are also good fried, but you need to be more careful cleaning them to get the bones out. I can't stand fish with the bones in them to much picking around for me. JMHO
Fishing is not a pastime, it's a way of life.

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #21 on: Apr 26, 2007, 02:43 PM »
There's no need to waste the rest of the fish. If ya don't know how to debone Northerns , maybe try pickling them or try some catch and release . Let em grow up a bit ;D

Why when you can catch a bunch of handles out of lakes where they are over-abundant.  They run small because of this reason...so i'm doing the lake a favor.  No messing around with bones for me.  I had a perch bone caught in the ol windpipe for a week...that really wasn't pleasant.  As for pickling them  :sick:.  Sorry ain't gonna happen.

Gamedog

• If it swims,walks or flies, it dies!
« Reply #22 on: Apr 27, 2007, 08:34 AM »
Good point on clearing out the excess hammer handles, it just a shame to have to waste some good fish meat.

Whatpole

• Whatch you lookin' at dad???
« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 2007, 03:17 PM »
Boil 1 gal. of water, throw in some some salt and sugar. Don't put in to much salt at first, as the salt really boils into the meat. Boil the fish in this for 1 minute. Try a few pieces, and adjust the salt and sugar to where you like it. With the right amount of sugar and salt, tatses just like lobster.  :bowdown:
Nuttier than a squirrel turd.
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!

arcamark

• love them Marble EYES
« Reply #24 on: Feb 29, 2008, 10:43 AM »
filet them, remove the y's, batter them, fry them and enjoy   ::)
<{{{}}<   Keep them lines tight!!!

north54

« Reply #25 on: Mar 05, 2008, 07:19 PM »
Anyway, especially springtime Pike up north.  Can't tell the diff. between them and Walleye.

Skeeder II

• Empty Hook
« Reply #26 on: Mar 21, 2008, 05:29 PM »
Anyway, especially springtime Pike up north.  Can't tell the diff. between them and Walleye.
I never believed this until it was proved to me.

WindKnots

• Tie 'em and fly 'em.
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 07:55 PM »
I've had pike and walleye and I like them both and I like them on the smaller side.  The "good eatin" size are really good.  Y-bones don't bother me, found a lot of videos on youtube on how to deal with it.  See it done and you're good.
Run it wide open or not at all.

aulrich

« Reply #28 on: Aug 23, 2010, 06:05 PM »
Even though this thread is old I though I would Add this bit.

Covered in goop and deep fried is the most uninspired way to eat this fish.

- Ground into burger  and grilled then a application of wasabi mayo (a good use of the fish stick from de-boning)
- Cedar plank pike, put the fillet on a plank and barbeque.
- Smoked

And yes I am spoiled my pike come from a cold northern lake.

eaters are 24"-30"

Walleye the tofu of fish :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.