FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Thinking of all the Veterans this weekend, who have served and sacrificed...  (Read 5821 times)

Roccus

Hey Roccus,

Did we grow up in the northern New York together or what. Your comments brought me back to my teens when I went hunting with my Gramps and my best fried up in the Adirondacks.

Your comment about partridge brings back some great memories of thundering wings, feathers in your face and their amazing ability to put a tree in the way. Putting those things aside, they were great times and a real good meal.

Now for wood cock, they are so darn fast. They gave you a chirpy skreetch, feathers in the face, straight up to the canopy and off they went. When you were lucky you got a few and that was about enough for a sandwich.

Thanks for reminding me of the good old days when we all learned to hunt and create some great memories

John
only in spirit, we grew up in a time when young boys hunted and fished ( I trapped as well), and when they weren't hunting and fishing , they were thinking about hunting and fishing.. I grew up along the banks of the concord river in Chelmsford, back then it was all farms and fields, with dense canopy and alder tangles  along the river...I wasted a lot of shot on those screeching puffballs that never fly straight...Dad taught me to reload my own shells, he gave me a .25 bounty on wood chucks and crows, that is how I funded my escapades( and with my fur money)   I gave my grandson my old single shot  20 gauge Stevens, best upland bird ( and squirrel) gun I ever owned. Killed a lot of deer with it too...for a small gauge gun that thing kicked like a mule..

Johnnh

My first gun was an old Stevens 12 gauge single shot (actually it's was my Gramps gun and he gave it to me on my 14th birthday).

I trapped as well for muskrat, mink and racoons. Muscrat pelts were 25 cents,  mink about $1 if you did a goog job skinning them and racoons about 50 cents.One of the large farm owners gave us a quarter for each chuck as well.

Trap lines are not easy. Get up at 4, hike along swamp edges, bring the critters home and go off to school. After school skin them and hang them on clothes hanger wire. Brush off the fat and residue, bring them to a tannery and get your money.

Good old days living in the northern adirondacks = life was simple

John

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
Some really good stuff in this thread... My uncle fought in Korea, pops in Vietnam, both have a pair of purple hearts... I've heard a few stories. Neither of them outdoorsman though, my big brother taught me how to make my way through the woods without getting lost and how to fish, forage and camp. I remember being 5 or 6 years old and my brother (he's got 14 years on me) set my bike up with a rod holder and bracket to tie my tackle box to, that opened my world, toss the rod in the holder strap down my box and get peddling, got yelled at more than a few times for going to far to find new ponds and even got brought home by the police once when I told him I lived 3 towns away, I think he was actually a game warden but I was too young to know at the time.
Your so right Joe, every day that passes seams just a touch shorter than the last... If only we could learn to get more hours in a day as easily as it is to learn new hobbies.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
Good stuff, Stealth!
I have a lot of respect for your father and uncle.  :flag:

taxid

I think it's great that we veterans get respect these days, although I don't think all of us are heroes. If we were there wouldn't be stockades and Court Martial.

What's sad is when my father came back from Vietnam he was instructed not to wear his uniform on a train or any other pubic transportation as he might get verbally or even physically assaulted if he was outnumbered. My how times have changed.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
I think it's great that we veterans get respect these days, although I don't think all of us are heroes. If we were there wouldn't be stockades and Court Martial.

What's sad is when my father came back from Vietnam he was instructed not to wear his uniform on a train or any other pubic transportation as he might get verbally or even physically assaulted if he was outnumbered. My how times have changed.

Lost a few friends in that fiasco two cousins did tours there and made it back. Shouldn't have been there in the first place. Almost went my lottery ball was #3 my year. Signed up, had my draft card and was ready to enlist in the Air Force then Nixon (my greatest president along with Reagan) stopped the draft. You did not want to be drafted back then it was not a good time to go in. Went to college to play football instead often wonder what would have happened if I had enlisted in the Air Force. I saw first hand how they were treated when they got back it was a disgrace. A low point in our history.  >:(

taxid

Lost a few friends in that fiasco two cousins did tours there and made it back. Shouldn't have been there in the first place. Almost went my lottery ball was #3 my year. Signed up, had my draft card and was ready to enlist in the Air Force then Nixon (my greatest president along with Reagan) stopped the draft. You did not want to be drafted back then it was not a good time to go in. Went to college to play football instead often wonder what would have happened if I had enlisted in the Air Force. I saw first hand how they were treated when they got back it was a disgrace. A low point in our history.  >:(

Another thing that the was a disgrace about Vietnam was how people with connections didn't have to serve or get deployed to Vietnam. A lot of poor boys came back in coffins while the rich and connected stayed here. Some of those same people are all patriotic now. Easy to be patriotic when your butts not on the line.

But yes that war was totally unnecessary and a waste of lives. But I still respect those that served without question when their number came up. Although I'm a veteran, the Vietnam War ended while I was still in high school.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
I saw first hand how they were treated when they got back it was a disgrace. A low point in our history.  >:(
I agree Denny, definitely a bad stain in our history.  :(

Another thing that the was a disgrace about Vietnam was how people with connections didn't have to serve or get deployed to Vietnam. A lot of poor boys came back in coffins while the rich and connected stayed here. Some of those same people are all patriotic now. Easy to be patriotic when your butts not on the line.
I agree with this also, taxid! Pretty hypocritical if you ask me.
It wasn't a new practice though. The same thing happened during the civil war.
War can bring about the best and the worst in people. 

Streamfisha

• Poolguy on IS
only in spirit, we grew up in a time when young boys hunted and fished ( I trapped as well), and when they weren't hunting and fishing , they were thinking about hunting and fishing.. I grew up along the banks of the concord river in Chelmsford, back then it was all farms and fields, with dense canopy and alder tangles  along the river...I wasted a lot of shot on those screeching puffballs that never fly straight...Dad taught me to reload my own shells, he gave me a .25 bounty on wood chucks and crows, that is how I funded my escapades( and with my fur money)   I gave my grandson my old single shot  20 gauge Stevens, best upland bird ( and squirrel) gun I ever owned. Killed a lot of deer with it too...for a small gauge gun that thing kicked like a mule..

Also grew up along the banks of the Concord River in Billerica Joe when most of the shore line was littered with old camps...fond memories of fishing with my brother.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
Good stuff, Stealth!
I have a lot of respect for your father and uncle.  :flag:
I know you would CD, as do I...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.