FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: woodtics  (Read 2112 times)

Keith becker

• borntofish
woodtics
« on: Jul 05, 2009, 07:30 PM »
omg i went fishing today at a local fishing hole from shore for something to do today every 2 mins i was picking one off.any one else getting them like this.

skulldugary

Re: woodtics
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2009, 07:53 PM »
I live in 1000's of acres of woods and have'nt had any on me or found any on my dogs but I do know other mushroom hunters that have had problems with them this year....I would'nt worry too much about wood ticks but deer ticks are another story....

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2009, 09:15 PM »
Back in the early 1980's I had two jobs that put in me in tick territory. One was putting in telephone cable - underground. Walked the ditches of southern Indiana. The other I worked a hiking trail in southern Indiana. Wasn't uncommon to get as many as 50 before lunch! Just know you are in their territory and to get them before they get you. I have had ticks attach to just about every part of my body you can imagine - andlets leave it at thaat!!! :o :o :o

Steelie Slayer

• Serious Steelhead NUT!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2009, 09:40 PM »
That is GROSS!!!  I've never had a tick before, but i know that if i got one on me you would pry hear me scream.....  Im surprised i've never had one, i literally spends thousands of hours in the woods each fall, winter, spring and summer.
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

"We drank all this fish..... And we caught all the beer, err we caught all the fish...... And drank all the beer!"

hunterdan1

« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2009, 11:07 PM »
They are usely done for the year around the 4 of july so I been told.

DR.SPECKLER

« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2009, 07:58 AM »
my brother in  law had to do community service on 131 over by wayland and the cops told the inmates to walk in some tall grass and pick up garbage and all the inmates were picken ticks off them and refused to go back in there.lol

Fish Killa

« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2009, 10:41 AM »
I fought the tick battle during Turkey season in late May. My wife was upset. Before I realized that I had gotten into some I transferred them into the house and her car. Whoops LOL. ;D

Gambler

« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2009, 10:56 AM »
I have been pickin deer ticks off of me and my dogs for 8 or 10 years now. We never used to have them. Two years ago was the worst. I would actually pic 6 to 12  off of my dog every evening. I went hunting last fall and I picked probably 30 off of me while in the woods and another 7 or 8 off of my skin once I got home and removed my clothing. They are a royal pain but if you check yourself and your children every evening you don't get bit often.

This may help identify
http://www.oes.org/html/how_2_identify_different_ticks.html
Take Care and God Bless!

Rick

teamtwosticks

« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2009, 02:44 PM »
i have never had a tick on me in the woods. but i did change a tire on the side of the highway and on my way to the bar i felt something on my neck and it was a tick.  i pulled over in the middle of town and stripped down to my boxers on the side of the road.  i wasn't going to take any chances!

Keith becker

• borntofish
« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2009, 09:04 PM »
is there a way to keep them of u ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2009, 09:13 PM »
is there a way to keep them of u ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Nope! Deet helps but many are unaffected.

Boomer

« Reply #11 on: Jul 06, 2009, 09:31 PM »
You can ask your vet for some stuff that will keep them off your dog but humans have to pick them off themselves. Remember to pick one off to grab it by the head with some foreceps or tweezers - DO NOT squeeze the body. Don't go crazy if you get one, just get rid of it.

Gambler

« Reply #12 on: Jul 06, 2009, 10:45 PM »
I give my dog flea and tick meds every month. They still bite the dog but they die before the lyme can be transfered. It takes roughly 24hrs I think. Plus the dog gets a lyme vaccine every year. I have these nifty little tick removal tools. They look like tiny crowbars and they work well. I don't like the ticks but I deal with them. All of the ticks I find on my dog or my family are the deer ticks. If you develope any of the symptoms the standard practice with the docs in the area is to be tested for lyme disease.
Take Care and God Bless!

Rick

JCaughtem

• Warning....These fish bite!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2009, 08:07 AM »
bug spray with deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.proven to work trust me.

Fish Killa

« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2009, 09:47 AM »
Sawyer® Permethrin Premium Insect Repellent Aerosol Spray for Clothing works about the best.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.