FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Reel maintenance Time  (Read 1174 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Reel maintenance Time
« on: Mar 17, 2020, 04:41 AM »
Every year I go through all my reels and do a thorough cleaning along with any repairs they might need.

My faithful Penn 450ss broke a bail spring last season. Picked up a couple replacements and tore it down for service.

I've had this reel for more than 30 years I'd guess and it's still a work horse in my arsenal. Wish they made them as good today.

Working on my Pfleuger Presidents now. They don't need much. Just a cleaning and greasing.

They're wonderfully simple reels as long as you don't have to get into the anti-reverse mechanism. I took one apart once. A real pain to get back together. So, I pretty much leave them alone. Haven't had one fail yet. If one ever fails, I'd probably just buy a new reel.

2 more to go and I'll get into my Fly reel collection.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

Re: Reel maintenance Time
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2020, 05:09 AM »
Good job Bob
Only 4 non-fly reels.
Excellent self-control my friend.
I don’t even know how many reels I own.
I’d say somewhere between 30-40.
Lol

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2020, 07:36 AM »
 Oh, there's more than 4 Mac. Six on the bench and another 2 pr 3 I used ice fishing. Fly reels are another story. There might be 25 or so of them. 6 or 7 that are dedicated to a particular rod  and the others mostly collectibles. I have a pretty complete collection of South Bend Finalists.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2020, 10:42 AM »
I know where you are coming from when you say those anti-reverse mechanisms are fun to reassemble. Never again.

seamonkey84

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2020, 01:40 PM »
I know where you are coming from when you say those anti-reverse mechanisms are fun to reassemble. Never again.
Omg those are a nightmare to put back together, even with rather aid of a magnet that fit perfectly inside the center.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.