FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: need a new landing net for sebago  (Read 5465 times)

fishlessman

need a new landing net for sebago
« on: Apr 23, 2018, 11:18 AM »
gone thru three rubber nets over the last few years, have the old  braided striper net for backup. do they make a good rubber, big, deep, long handled net with a strong cored inside that doesnt snag hooks. i think i used a whole roll of electrician tape tying the last rubber one together last year

GasBlaster

• Welcomes green fish !!
Re: need a new landing net for sebago
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2018, 11:21 AM »
gone thru three rubber nets over the last few years, have the old  braided striper net for backup. do they make a good rubber, big, deep, long handled net with a strong cored inside that doesnt snag hooks. i think i used a whole roll of electrician tape tying the last rubber one together last year

I wonder if you could coat an old braided net with that flex seal stuff from the TV commercials ???

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Here is a net that i use for doormat fluke in the salt. It extends and so far I am going strong on the 5th season with it. Just add some grease to where the net screws onto the handle.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ego-s2-slider-landing-net?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions
Wicked Wec

fishlessman

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2018, 12:05 PM »
Here is a net that i use for doormat fluke in the salt. It extends and so far I am going strong on the 5th season with it. Just add some grease to where the net screws onto the handle.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ego-s2-slider-landing-net?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions

which one do you have, i have the one with clear rubber and its at the point where slot lakers will fall thru. i see a rubber coated nylon one in that list, that may be the one i buy. overall i like the size

fishlessman

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2018, 12:08 PM »
I wonder if you could coat an old braided net with that flex seal stuff from the TV commercials ???

was talking about flex sealing it this weekend, ive probably had that net 25 years now. might make it too heavy, dont know

fishlessman

« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2018, 12:50 PM »

Turnbuckle

« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2018, 01:20 PM »
i will stop in cabellas this week and take a look, was in kittery last week and didnt like the nets they had in stock. there was one frabil but it was not this one

They had it in stock both times I bought it.  ::) 1st one was stolen....
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

Tunker

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2018, 02:02 PM »
Anyone tried the PVC coated mesh or the polyethylene mesh?  I am in the market and wouldn't mind something lighter than rubber but don't want to deal hooks fouling in the basket.  I have a Cummings that had the same tear issues in the rubber and I put a Frabil rubber bag on it but it is very heavy compared to the Cummings (but so far tear free).  I'll take the weight over the constant repair.  The Cummings bag was practically all zip ties when I replaced it. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2018, 02:05 PM »
which one do you have, i have the one with clear rubber and its at the point where slot lakers will fall thru. i see a rubber coated nylon one in that list, that may be the one i buy. overall i like the size

I have the rubber net and not sure on exact size of handle but up to 60" sounds about right. I absolutely love it.
Wicked Wec

skinnywater

« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2018, 02:30 PM »
I have a cabela's black mesh extendable.  Really nice had it for three years now
greenshack on shanty

gamefisher

« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2018, 03:05 PM »
Someday I'm going to spring for a Stevens net made right here in Maine, beautiful looking piece of equipment. 8)

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2018, 03:26 PM »
I have a couple of Ranger rubber nets and find them great, mainly because they don't weigh a ton, easy to maneuver.

I take the end cap of the pole off and fill it with foam insulation, using a dowel to push the foam all the way down the pole.
if I drop it over the side, it's nice to see it floating on top of the water. A few wraps of red reflective tape just to spot it easier.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

seamonkey84

« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2018, 03:48 PM »
I saw some nice nets at Mardens two weeks ago
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Twolightskid

« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2018, 03:51 PM »

I have the pvc coated 19x21” hoop net and it’s great for togue on Sebago.  Hooks come out easily and it’s both more durable and a lot lighter than the pure rubber nets.  Extending handle works great too. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.