FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623767 times)

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #420 on: Jul 25, 2011, 11:41 PM »
Did you learn how to post pictures??         ;D ;D ;D ;D

Slam.... Good one Dom. :laugh:

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #421 on: Jul 25, 2011, 11:43 PM »
  you   need   bug   bodys   ??????  we   can  hook  ya   up  ;D

Willing to trade automotive knowledge for some quality flies. :laugh:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #422 on: Jul 26, 2011, 01:35 AM »
I grew up with our family cottage on Lake Ontario. It was in the only cove for miles in each direction. The cove was a Locust Tree grove. Those ugly spuds lived in the trees by the thousands. I'll have to super size my hoppers to match those heavyweights ;D

I wasn't aware that upstate was part of the 13 year brood. There are hundreds of varieties of cicadas. Not all are 13 or 17 year periodicals.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #423 on: Jul 26, 2011, 06:01 AM »
RG  the  more   you  read  about  this     large  fellow   the  more  interesting      it   becomes    there  are  annual    13  and   17  years   cycles  ,we  have  17  years   here and   dog  day  or  annuals ! here  is  a  gereal  map    but  remeber   they   do  appear  to  show  up    other  places   and   that     we   will  have  the  anual  hatch  ....  it's  really fasinating    ;D

heres  the  data   base    http://www.flyflinger.com/cicada.php

but  remeber     anual  hatches  happen   everywhere !
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

surflizard

« Reply #424 on: Jul 26, 2011, 07:52 AM »
Thanks for posting that Trap, that is a cool looking pattern !  :thumbup_smilie:

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #425 on: Jul 26, 2011, 07:53 AM »
Yes that is a Very cool looking pattern there Trap!!
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

KingPerch

« Reply #426 on: Jul 26, 2011, 06:35 PM »
if   you  can't    get  them  or  there  out    kp   you  can   borrow   mine  of      stop  and  grab  a  bag  of   precut   bodys    beaver  ,beetle  chernobyl ant   stp  frog   may   fly   bodys  and    wings   ;D....   feel  free  to  help  yerself   man    ....and   don't  give  me  a  hard  time  ...  there  for   JR   and  he's  our  lil  pal ;D
I didn't do it....GAMMA did! ;D  Thanks Trap! They have the body cutters up in Pulaski....I'll do a Banzai run there tomorrow!--KP ;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

KingPerch

« Reply #427 on: Jul 26, 2011, 06:36 PM »
Slam.... Good one Dom. :laugh:
Almost put me in the barrel FM....ALMOST....nice try! ;D--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

fishhooker

« Reply #428 on: Jul 26, 2011, 07:26 PM »
nice  cast!!!!! 

as  summer   slides  on  we  have  a  great  selection  of  new   "bugs"  to   copy  and   make  offerings  to  the  fish  Gods  ...one  that  is  seldom  used  and  i  don't  understand  as  they are  everywhere  and  in great  numbers  is  this  little  fellow  ...the  tent  caterpiller  ....

made  with  a  mustad  9672  streamer  hook  in  size  10  .....  3   slices  of  craft  foam  and  a little  sharpie  marker  work  and  a  pale  ginger  or  any redish  brown  hackle  ...... 

simply  attach  foam  to  hook  (dap  of   super  glue  helps)  segment  body  and  then  wrap  hackle  up  segments   ,little  head  cement  and  yer  done                                                                                                                                                            life  is  goooooooooooood

I'll be stealing this pattern...nice one!
Enjoy outdoor literature? Check out my blog here: www.artrafus.blogspot.com

trapper2000

« Reply #429 on: Jul 26, 2011, 07:49 PM »
hey   fish   do  me  a   favor   let   me   know   how  it  works  ...  thats    actually     my  own  pattern  although  i'm  sure  others    ty   the   same   ....been   great    on  trout  and  gills   for  me

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #430 on: Jul 27, 2011, 01:15 AM »
Almost put me in the barrlel FM....ALMOST....nice try! ;D--KP 8)

Never on purpose KP. ;) I just had to make a comment here because  haven't had any quality time on the bench in quite a while. Just wanted to let you fly guys know i'm still paying attention.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #431 on: Jul 27, 2011, 01:25 AM »
KP jr,
That pattern ties almost the same as the Hopper I'm sending you instructions for. A little more wing, a bit bigger and the legs are further forward. You'll have this one down i no time.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #432 on: Jul 30, 2011, 06:02 AM »
has  anyone  tried  the  new   fuzzy   foam?   it   makes  some  awesome   crayfish  patterns  ...   i  never  used  it   but  it  looks  good

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #433 on: Jul 30, 2011, 07:21 AM »
Looking for some advise on what dry fly to use for sunfish.  My experience is that they are much more picky than bluegills.  Bluegills will usually slam a foam or cork popper but alot of the sunnies come up for a close inspection and then veer away.  I figured they might want something smaller so I tried a humpy.  It definitely made a difference but it gets destroyed or waterlogged pretty quickly.  Would a foam ant hold up better?  Any suggestions on what flies to use would be greatly appreciated.  Nothing like battling a nice sunfish on a 3 wt. rod!!

trapper2000

« Reply #434 on: Jul 30, 2011, 08:06 AM »
i  don't  really  have   mush   problems  with  sunfish  taking   poppers   or   foam,  io   have   found  that     a  dry   fly   such  as  a  adams  works  well  if  they  look   but   dont    take   twitch  it  ....   parachutes   stay   floating   longer   or  use   foam   body  and   wings   instead  of   hackle  ,  i  have  also    used  a   drope   just   below  the   floater    ,  usually  a  hares   ear   if   one   don't  do  it  the  other   does   ;D  good  luck  and   let  us   know   how  you  make  out

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.