FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: IFW UPDATE 8/28 FYI RE:No live-Fish rule in Northern Region  (Read 1353 times)

CLAMFARMER

IFW Response to my query by Bio Greg Burr regarding "No live-Fish rule in Northern Region approved by state.”  Next, I’ll request a copy of the newly adopted rules to to post here.

"Hi Joe,

Thank you for your e-mail.  The new fishing regs proposals in the northern zone that will become law starting January 1st, 2020 has many exceptions that allow most of all of the traditional ice fishing waters to still be fished with live bait.  If anglers have questions or concerns about specific waters they should contact the Augusta office at 287-5022.

Good luck this deer season!

Greg
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

CLAMFARMER

Re: Update 8/27 FYI RE:No live-Fish rule in Northern Region
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2019, 09:24 AM »
Talked to IFW Joe Overlock this morning.

He’s going to email me when they are sending out a publication defining the new rule(s). Will be soon.

He was very clear that there are no substantial changes other than how the waters and rules are listed and defined. Where S-codes once defined no live fish waters, they will now define live fish allowed waters.

He said there are essentially NO changes to historically live fish as bait waters, but it sounded like some streams could be effected. Even many ice fishing prohibited waters would still allow live bait during open water.

As soon as I know when IFW will be publicizing the article and new rules, I’ll post them here.
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

CLAMFARMER

IFW UPDATE 8/28 FYI RE:No live-Fish rule in Northern Region
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2019, 12:50 AM »
I have the full list of water including lakes, ponds, river and streams as well. I’ll forward those later.

From IFW Joe Overlock:

Hi Joe,

Thanks again for reaching out with your questions on the recent rule change.  As I mentioned we will be sharing some information on our webpage and on Facebook soon, but in the meantime attached are the lists of waters that will retain the use of live baitfish and smelts.

Also, here are few highlights of the rule change:

This rule passed through the final step of the advisory council last week (public comment period closed on June 27th) and will go into effect on January 1, 2020 (you will see it in the next law book).
The introduction of competing fish species is one threat that has contributed to range-wide population declines of brook trout in the Eastern United States.
Waters currently open to ice fishing and the use of live fish as bait will remain open and be assigned a special regulation (S-11) that will allow use of live fish as bait.  Live fish as bait will continue to be allowed on those same waters during the open water fishing season.  Some additional waters with a tradition of fishing with live baitfish during the open water fishing season will also retain opportunities for the use of live fish as bait.
The rule limits the use of live baitfish in the Northern Region (Franklin, Somerset, Piscataquis, Aroostook, and northern portions of Oxford and Penobscot Counties) to reduce the chance of introductions of baitfish and other fish in the vast majority of flowing waters, dead-waters, small ponds, as well as tributaries of State Heritage Fish Waters.
The goal of this strategy is to develop a balanced approach to enhance protections for native fish while minimizing unintended adverse impacts to anglers, baitfish harvesters, and the fishing law book.
Does not reduce use of dead baitfish and worms, only the use of live baitfish.
This effort does not change the list of waters open to the commercial harvest of bait or smelt.
In total 339 waters will retain the use of live fish as bait

I know most folks have been concerned that they would no longer be able to use live fish as bait while ice fishing.  To reiterate (and hopefully put minds at ease) all waters currently open to ice fishing with the use of live fish as bait will remain that way.

Thanks,

-Joe-

Joe Overlock
Fisheries Management Supervisor
Maine Dept of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife
Fisheries Division
284 State St, SHS 41
Augusta ME 04333
(207) 287-5022

CLAMFARMER

Re: IFW UPDATE 8/28 FYI RE:No live-Fish rule in Northern Region
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2019, 05:29 AM »
Not sure how to post the lists here.

FYI New Live Bait Rules For Northern Maine. Info.

If you would like a list of waters, PM me with your email address and I will forward the email from IFW to you: I have the full lists of waters not changed, including lakes, ponds, river and streams.

The lists are quite extensive!

MarkNFish

Re: IFW UPDATE 8/28 FYI RE:No live-Fish rule in Northern Region
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2019, 01:53 PM »
I know most folks have been concerned that they would no longer be able to use live fish as bait while ice fishing.  To reiterate (and hopefully put minds at ease) all waters currently open to ice fishing with the use of live fish as bait will remain that way.

For now...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.