FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: sebago togue  (Read 8076 times)

fishlessman

sebago togue
« on: Sep 03, 2019, 08:23 AM »
is the slot to be lifted,  seemed that the bio/gamewarden leaned that way on the lake this weekend.

TightLinesMaine

Re: sebago togue
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2019, 11:15 AM »
PROPOSED REGULATIONS SEBAGO LAKE, AND ALL DIRECT TRIBUTARIES INCLUDING RIVERS, Naples, etc. (South Region). General fishing laws apply, except: S-1. Minimum length limit on landlocked salmon: 16 inches. No bag limit for togue under 26 inches and no minimum length limit; only 1 may equal or exceed 26 inches. All trout (excluding lake trout) and landlocked salmon caught while ice fishing must be released immediately without removal from the water. Closed to all fishing within 100 feet of White’s Bridge.From October 1 -December 31:ALO. Togue may be harvested as described above.From October 1 -March 31:All trout (excluding lake trout) and landlocked salmon caught while open water fishing must be released alive at once. Direct tributaries are closed to fishing, except for the lower reach of the Muddy River south of the Lake House Road and the lower reach of the Sticky River northeast of the Route 114 crossing. Closed to open water fishing is the “mouth of the Songo River”, which is the area to the north of a line drawn between Bear Point and Outer Island and then along a line to the north shore.

https://www.maine.gov/ifw/docs/Water%20Specific%20Regulation%20Proposals.pdf

fishlessman

« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2019, 12:49 PM »
that must be what he was getting at, drop the slot and allow one over 26. wonder if thats enough to get some of the togue guys back, its been getting lonely out there

gamefisher

« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2019, 01:07 PM »
that must be what he was getting at, drop the slot and allow one over 26. wonder if thats enough to get some of the togue guys back, its been getting lonely out there

This way you have all those pickerel thin togue and 12' salmon to yourself! ;D :'(

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2019, 06:48 AM »
That proposal of one togue over 26" wouldn't amount to a tinkers dam!

The only solution is to have no size or bag limit, get the cooperation of about 50 good fishermen
and harvest as many togue as you can. Even then it will take years to restore that lake to what it was
before they stocked those slimy devils in there. The biologists made a mistake and won't admit it!
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

gamefisher

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2019, 07:06 AM »

The only solution is to have no size or bag limit, get the cooperation of about 50 good fishermen
and harvest as many togue as you can. Even then it will take years to restore that lake to what it was
before they stocked those slimy devils in there. The biologists made a mistake and won't admit it!

Incredibly sad down there Bob.  Just 8-10 years ago very few places we would rather fish! :'(

thedirtydirtyfisherman

« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2019, 09:00 AM »
I agree Bob but they will always have an upper limit because of the money the trophy togue fishery brings in.  they want to keep all the big boys around.  That being said, most of the togue are under that so I think you could still get 50 good fisherman to take out the smaller togue, which could put a dent in the population.

seamonkey84

« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2019, 09:44 AM »
Agreed, not enough people are pulling them out. Removing the slot limit is going in the right direction. I think The idea of a communal donation freezer idea is excellent.
 putting out a psa similar to these shows would be great for public awareness and inform people how to catch them, and maybe how to cook them or what to do with the unwanted fish.

Also this one, just because... man I can’t wait till ice season.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2019, 10:23 AM »
The biologists made a mistake and won't admit it!

yep

fishlessman

« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2019, 08:37 AM »
This way you have all those pickerel thin togue and 12' salmon to yourself! ;D :'(

probably close to 300 of those 12 inch salmon this year, don't think ive actually caught a keeper 16 incher yet this year.

seamonkey84

« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2019, 08:43 AM »
probably close to 300 of those 12 inch salmon this year, don't think ive actually caught a keeper 16 incher yet this year.
Yea, that seems to be the patter the few days that I have spent on that lake with my friend. We hooked into just as many small salmon as we did togue. But that’s a good sign for the future if they get enough food to grow. I caught one keeper salmon, this past spring during the smelt run, but that’s it.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

fishlessman

« Reply #11 on: Sep 05, 2019, 09:36 AM »

I almost think that they need to poison the spawning areas or atleast the major one.  and bring back the smelt stocking, theres no feed in the lake, the baitballs are tiny and far between.  Monday there was just one boat within maybe 4 miles of me and I fished from the nwest all the way to the muddy and past the songo to bear point

fishlessman

« Reply #12 on: Sep 05, 2019, 09:39 AM »
Yea, that seems to be the patter the few days that I have spent on that lake with my friend. We hooked into just as many small salmon as we did togue. But that’s a good sign for the future if they get enough food to grow. I caught one keeper salmon, this past spring during the smelt run, but that’s it.

the problem with those 12 inch salmon is the feed shortage, they should be 18 inches plus right now, they aren't growing

gamefisher

« Reply #13 on: Sep 05, 2019, 09:58 AM »
the problem with those 12 inch salmon is the feed shortage, they should be 18 inches plus right now, they aren't growing

This is the exact issue right here, no feed, they cant grow, and why there should have never been any restrictions on the togue harvest as part of the "plan" from a few years ago.  Should have been unlimited on togue then and now.  Most people just don't keep fish and most people just aren't that good at fishing, there still would have been plenty of trophy togue just for that reason even with no size and bag.  Even the togue have nothing in their stomachs, going to take a good long while for this pond to come back.   

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Sep 05, 2019, 12:48 PM »
Fisheries management experts, have to love them.  Or loath them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.