FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: sebago togue  (Read 8080 times)

seamonkey84

Re: sebago togue
« Reply #15 on: Sep 05, 2019, 03:58 PM »
Well, my friend and I plan on stressing out as many as we can during the spawn  :P
If they will just save themselves the headache and back peddling, but still want big togue, just say unlimited under 29”. That still won’t help if people aren’t keeping them.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 05, 2019, 04:11 PM »
I almost think that they need to poison the spawning areas or atleast the major one.  and bring back the smelt stocking, theres no feed in the lake, the baitballs are tiny and far between.  Monday there was just one boat within maybe 4 miles of me and I fished from the nwest all the way to the muddy and past the songo to bear point

If that body of water was a pond, they could reclaim it but obviously that isn't the case, being the second largest body of water in the state. They can't introduce any chemicals in a major drinking water supply.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

woodchip1

« Reply #17 on: Sep 05, 2019, 06:07 PM »
When a law such as it is the larger fish are projected. and they lay more eggs. law as is makes no sense at all!!!

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #18 on: Sep 05, 2019, 06:13 PM »
When a law such as it is the larger fish are projected. and they lay more eggs. law as is makes no sense at all!!!

IFW data says the lake trout in the low 20"s lay more eggs &/or are more frequent spawners than the older 30"+ fish.  Pretty sure there was a discussion on this topic recently or within the past year.

SilverSides

« Reply #19 on: Sep 06, 2019, 12:15 PM »
Headed down this weekend to fish in the Fall Derby......If someone wants to tell me where they all are, I'd be happy to kill every one of them! 8)

stguy

« Reply #20 on: Sep 06, 2019, 01:04 PM »
Headed down this weekend to fish in the Fall Derby......If someone wants to tell me where they all are, I'd be happy to kill every one of them! 8)

Shallow water feeding on yellow perch.

Good luck and be safe, hopefully it doesn't  blow to hard.

fishlessman

« Reply #21 on: Sep 06, 2019, 01:47 PM »

what was mentioned, shallow water and yellow perch. im finding them between 20 and 35 feet near colder water drop offs near river mouths.  this is a first for me, ive never actually seen yellow perch in the big bay.  the perch schools are tiny, move 20 feet and you passed over them

SilverSides

« Reply #22 on: Sep 06, 2019, 02:11 PM »
Thanks for the info! It looks like I'll be hugging the North shore pretty tight tomorrow regardless, with the wind forecast

gamefisher

« Reply #23 on: Sep 06, 2019, 02:19 PM »
Thanks for the info! It looks like I'll be hugging the North shore pretty tight tomorrow regardless, with the wind forecast

Good luck Glenn!

SilverSides

« Reply #24 on: Sep 08, 2019, 07:27 PM »
Had a pretty good weekend. The weather changed enough Saturday that we had no problem finding water to fish without getting beat up too bad. Only ended up with 3 togue along with 6 pesky little salmon. Today we got into fish within the first 20 minutes, and stayed busy most of the day, boating 10 more togue.

No size at all to any that we caught. All were given a good whack in the head, and are now ready for the grill, and/or smoker.

Thanks again to all who provided info on where to locate fish. It was spot on. I fished the 40 foot contour line all weekend.

fishlessman

« Reply #25 on: Sep 16, 2019, 08:47 AM »
getting real easy to catch them right now in 40 feet and shallower water.  they seem to be coming in at 24 inch cookie cutters.  full of smallmouth this weekend and packed with eggs.  seeing alot more bait as well and a few bigger salmon

stguy

« Reply #26 on: Sep 16, 2019, 09:14 AM »
getting real easy to catch them right now in 40 feet and shallower water.  they seem to be coming in at 24 inch cookie cutters.  full of smallmouth this weekend and packed with eggs.  seeing alot more bait as well and a few bigger salmon

I've got a bunch of females lately with most of the eggs dead, have you seen that?

fishlessman

« Reply #27 on: Sep 16, 2019, 09:23 AM »
have not noticed the dead eggs but im usually salmon fishing and not catching many togue, this weekend was different as we had someone in the boat that wanted to smoke a bunch.  what i did notice was that the fillets looked more mushy than normal. smelt and alewives in the salmon, only small mouths in the togue.

fishlessman

« Reply #28 on: Sep 16, 2019, 09:28 AM »
also, saterday had lots of diving gulls which is the first good sign for the baitfish ive seen this year

stguy

« Reply #29 on: Sep 16, 2019, 09:54 AM »
have not noticed the dead eggs but im usually salmon fishing and not catching many togue, this weekend was different as we had someone in the boat that wanted to smoke a bunch.  what i did notice was that the fillets looked more mushy than normal. smelt and alewives in the salmon, only small mouths in the togue.

The ones feeding on baitfish, (white meat) have been mushy all year, some I don't even clean, the ones bottom feeding (orange meat), are the ones you want for smoking.

I went out for a couple hours yesterday and fished some of spawning grounds and got 1, this week last year we were filling 5 gallon buckets with togue in the same places.

Noticed the birds last Sunday in the derby

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.