FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crappie  (Read 1732 times)

rivereddy

Crappie
« on: May 20, 2023, 08:01 AM »
I don't know how its gone for you guys, but for me, this has been one of he oddest crappie runs I've seen in a long
time.  I fish two very similar lakes for crappie and usually when one fires up in the spring, the other heats up as well.
This year, one of them is pretty well done (spent fish) and the other is still prespawn... Size has been good, but depth
seems to vary by the day. I still haven't seen any males in their tuxes.

fish on,

rivereddy

fishinator

Re: Crappie
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 08:34 AM »
Definitely been odd. Last week of April I was finding them bursting with eggs and the males black as could be...but I could only get a couple in each spot before moving on. They didn't seem to be many in groups for how close they were to spawning.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 05:04 PM »
I don't know about crappies, but there are some fish species that will reabsorb their eggs when conditions aren't right. And it is stressful on the females. We had a much above average warm spell in my area a few weeks ago, and I saw my hybrid crappies on the beds in the biggest pond. Then suddenly it got cold again with well below average temps, and even spitting snow. The crappies went off the beds.

So is it possible the crappies reabsorbed their eggs and are done for the year if the change is severe enough or long enough vs. coming back on the beds? At least with bluegills even though the main spawn is in spring they will spawn up to 4 X per year, and I have seen them spawning early fall in my bluegill production pond. Not aware of crappies spawning more than once.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jig_Head

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 05:28 PM »
I don't know about crappies, but there are some fish species that will reabsorb their eggs when conditions aren't right. And it is stressful on the females. We had a much above average warm spell in my area a few weeks ago, and I saw my hybrid crappies on the beds in the biggest pond. Then suddenly it got cold again with well below average temps, and even spitting snow. The crappies went off the beds.

So is it possible the crappies reabsorbed their eggs and are done for the year if the change is severe enough or long enough vs. coming back on the beds? At least with bluegills even though the main spawn is in spring they will spawn up to 4 X per year, and I have seen them spawning early fall in my bluegill production pond. Not aware of crappies spawning more than once.
I didn't know they could reabsorb the eggs like that. Thats interesting. Could they start over again and still spawn after that?

LundProv

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 09:38 PM »
Very strange crappie spring indeed... I live on a 300 acre private lake in Porter County and have been here for 16 years.  Most every spring, I troll twister tails in bays that are about 8' until I find a group of crappies and then spot lock and play catch and release with big numbers of fish.  Sometimes these are smaller fish (8-10") and sometimes these groups can have 11-14" fish with a rare larger crappie.  This year... Well, one here and one there and essentially none trolling.  My best crappie day this spring has been on Stone lake in LaPorte in 8' of water using both minnows/slip bobbers and fan casting twister tails.  Probably caught a limit of 9-11" fish.  I think it is only gonna get better.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 10:12 PM »
I didn't know they could reabsorb the eggs like that. Thats interesting. Could they start over again and still spawn after that?

I don't know for sure if crappies will reabsorb their eggs, but know other species like trout do. And for those species that do, no they won't be fecund until the next spawning season if they don't expire from the stress.

I used to sell live large yellow perch to Bass Pro Shops in Missouri. They told me about a large smallmouth bass that would not pass her eggs in the aquarium, and became "egg bound." They actually surgically removed her eggs so she wouldn't die.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bherr24

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2023, 10:03 AM »
Been the toughest year for me for sure. I mainly  bank fish mississinewa and its been a struggle. I usually can catch spawning crappie off the riprap at the dam thru memorial day. Last two trips i have seen no spawning fish on the banks. I also have yet to catch a white crappie there, just a few blacks. I have no idea if there done, or just never nested there this year. The only good days i had there this year were in the river and that was only one or 2 times.

staubsaugen

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 06:43 AM »
The lake I usually fish spring crappie also has been odd, found a few spawning a couple weeks ago,  but that was it. Managed a good number farther north yesterday pulling crawler spinners for walleye. Fishing just off the weed line. Also caught 3 keeper Walters with some good friends in the boat had a great morning.

bigr

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 08:36 AM »
Quality has been good but numbers way off. Just don't appear to have spawned in numbers so far. Still think we'll see fish spawning in greater numbers in the up coming moon phase. Temps just aren't there yet. Gils seem to be on the same track. No big numbers on the beds yet.

staubsaugen

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 12:31 PM »
The lake I usually fish spring crappie also has been odd, found a few spawning a couple weeks ago,  but that was it. Managed a good number farther north yesterday pulling crawler spinners for walleye. Fishing just off the weed line. Also caught 3 keeper Walters with some good friends in the boat had a great morning.
And after cleaning the crappie today I noticed one was a colored up male, one spawned out female,  and several females still with eggs

Jig_Head

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2023, 09:52 PM »
I don't know for sure if crappies will reabsorb their eggs, but know other species like trout do. And for those species that do, no they won't be fecund until the next spawning season if they don't expire from the stress.

I used to sell live large yellow perch to Bass Pro Shops in Missouri. They told me about a large smallmouth bass that would not pass her eggs in the aquarium, and became "egg bound." They actually surgically removed her eggs so she wouldn't die.
That's crazy. Thanks for the info

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.