FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513851 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #2640 on: Sep 20, 2018, 09:07 PM »
I got 6 tomatos from plants I never planted  .... plants grew from tomatoes left on the ground  so I staked them  just to watch them grow ....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #2641 on: Sep 20, 2018, 10:04 PM »
I picked the last of my cherry and grape tomatoes this evening, going to camp as snacks for the girls this weekend.

Habanero and cayenne peppers are still going strong, will have a batch of hot sauce to make soon.

Going to miss grabbing tomatoes and cukes for salads before work. But, all good things must come to an end

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2642 on: Sep 24, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Last harvest of peppers and zucchini..
Just cut up another double batch of relish thats sitting .......

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2643 on: Sep 25, 2018, 04:02 AM »
Mmmmmm....made sauce the past couple days.

It'll hold us for a little while. Pulled all the tomato plants but the yellow cherry. It's still producing my daily lunch. I'm about ready to turn over the beds, empty the compost bin and plant some radishes and greens. I've been waiting for a good couple days of rain which we're getting right now.

Then it's time to put the winter cover on the trough planter and get some spinach going. When the birds have picked over the sunflowers, I'll pull them,  fire up the chipper and get to work on the pile of stuff I'll use to refill the compost bin.

I'm sure gonna miss my fresh tomatoes for lunch. With any luck I can switch over to fresh green salads instead.

Another season slowly fades away.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2644 on: Sep 25, 2018, 01:36 PM »
Looks great Bob. I still have cherrys and a few green hairlomes left...
Google. Why not to till a raised bed garden...
From not stepping in them and compacting the soil , to turning over and releasing nitrogen to poping up new weed seeds..
Just add compost every fall and spring..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2645 on: Sep 25, 2018, 03:38 PM »
Thanks, I'll take a look at that Dom
I topped off the beds with compost this afternoon.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2646 on: Sep 25, 2018, 05:39 PM »
I think I'm ok using the little tiller I have. It only works stuff into the top 3-4" or so. Makes it really friable and allows the water to go deep as they were describing. Also, my compost isn't exactly complete. There's a lot of coarse matter in it that needs to be broken up to work over the next 6 months till planting.

I kind of fly by the seat of my pants, but it seems sensible to me to give it a moderate tilling. I could be wrong...I was once......I think 😀

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2647 on: Sep 25, 2018, 07:13 PM »
Yum...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2648 on: Sep 27, 2018, 03:31 AM »
Yum! I've tasted that relish👍👍

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2649 on: Sep 29, 2018, 03:32 AM »
Well, I got out the chipper the other day and reduced a pile of garden and yard waste to a half bin of happily composting stuff. It was already steaming yesterday afternoon.

I'll pick the jalapeņos today  but leave the plants. They're still blossoming.

I'm off to the farmers market for apples after my walk this morning. Gonna make applesauce tomorrow.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2650 on: Oct 01, 2018, 06:04 AM »
Hope this month is sunny and warm.
We have LOTS of mums that are not even flowering yet....I bet 100's will be thrown away in a couple weeks... :-\

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #2651 on: Oct 01, 2018, 07:36 AM »
Not from the garden but went for the first apple picking trip of 2018. did up 3 batches of dehydrated apple slices and a 6qt pot of apple sauce

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2652 on: Oct 01, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Apple season is one of our favorites. Picked up a bushel on Saturday and canned 28 pints on Sunday. The last 5 pints were kicked up with some jalapeņos from the garden and a cup of bourbon.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2653 on: Oct 01, 2018, 05:53 PM »
Yup its apple season . We will be making apple sauce this weekend..... :D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2654 on: Oct 02, 2018, 06:46 PM »
Dom, the jalapeņo bourbon apple sauce I'd really good. This needs further study.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.