FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First Fish of the New Season  (Read 4221 times)

BaitWrangler

First Fish of the New Season
« on: Mar 11, 2010, 02:47 PM »
Finally got out for the first time this morning after baiting a few areas. The fish responded well to the warm temperatures earlier in the week. Nice fish to kick things off.

With the rain this weekend I think I am going to try to hit so Cats and wait for reports from my Carp friends.

Ed

BASSMAN STAN

• - CAMP STANLEY -
Re: First Fish of the New Season
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2010, 06:26 PM »
Hey Wrangler, Very Impressive  :o

You are the Multi-Species Man !
Otis & Capt. Bassman          Bay Striper                         6lb.Larry                           River Rainbow

fishermantim4

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2010, 08:43 PM »
off to a good start over there nice fish
"there's no fish in this ditch!"

halfhooked

• anything more would be shopping
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2010, 12:24 AM »
what a sucker    nice fish
                                           Ed

BaitWrangler

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2010, 07:40 AM »
Thanks for the good words guys. I hope this is the begining of another good season.  My friend Nick already has landed a couple in the teens and our state chair has landed a 20 already amongs others. I'm not saying I'm going to get it (not by a long shot) but I think the state record may be in jeopardy again this year.

Also props to my wife - she brought home a surpise Penn CLL 6000 Baitrunner for me last week and thats the reel I landed the fish on yesterday. ;)

Ed keep my up to date on the Catfish bite my friend, I will do the same!

BASSMAN STAN

• - CAMP STANLEY -
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Ed, you ever try eating them ?
Otis & Capt. Bassman          Bay Striper                         6lb.Larry                           River Rainbow

BaitWrangler

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2010, 02:51 PM »

No I haven't, but I've heard they aren't actually half bad provided you have the correct pallete for f/w fish.  I know the Jewish have a special meal they make with them, and the Europeans love to eat them just as much as they enjoy catching them. (Most of our techniques have Euro origins as Carp are top dog on the other side of the pond.)

If you were to keep one from up here it would just have to be from decent water - problem is, most of the places aren't very nice. For example, the place I was fishing yesterday (Mashpaug Pd.) has signs posted explicitly stating the pond is "sick" and to call DEM if you smell any foul odors or your dog happens to perish after drinking from it. Harsh place but good fishing.

Ed

BASSMAN STAN

• - CAMP STANLEY -
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2010, 04:07 PM »
Reason I asked, is I know of a place in Foster where the water is prestine.
I like eating fresh local food....

BaitWrangler

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2010, 07:17 AM »
Reason I asked, is I know of a place in Foster where the water is prestine.
I like eating fresh local food....

That would definently be the right area to sample one from!! Your an outdoors man for sure BMS! (I used to eat Perch and Trout as a kid but no more. Striper and store bought fish and chips only.)

You may know, most people regard Carp as a trash fish. First because they stir up the sediment on the bottom. But the ignorant and uninformed (and the fake fisherman, haha) completely forget that the Catfish do the exact same thing. Second, few people will actually ask "How do they taste?" as you did, and will just regard them as tasting like crap because they are filter feeders.  Well as I said, I have never eaten Carp, I've never eaten Catfish either - but Catfish and Carp have about an 85% similar diet and people love Cats, so once again... the ignorant and uninformed.  Last, in my life I've caught all the "game fish" Bass, Pike, Trout - you name it, I've never experienced a fish that fights with such consistency.

I'll teach you what you need to know some time - just give me a shout. Carp fishing is not very difficult (at least it wasn't for me to learn).  Like all fish you just need to learn their tendencies. The most important thing though is locating fish and getting them used to eating articial bait. (Well, actual food - but bait thats not natural in the water.)  Once you've established a regular feeding source to them that they feel is safe, basically all it comes down to is patience, and a very few miniscule things like attractants to throw off their senses and making sure your rigs (hand tied... mine are at least) are done right. Theres many obsurities you can go into that the Europeans have established to combat heavily pressured waters. But we are much more fortunate here and our fish aren't as smart.  

One more fun fact... Most people don't even know that the Blackstone is one of the most renown Carp waters in the entire country.

Ed

BASSMAN STAN

• - CAMP STANLEY -
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2010, 12:10 PM »
One more fun fact... Most people don't even know that the Blackstone is one of the most renown Carp waters in the entire country.

Ed

I've seen them in the Blackstone before.
We were scouting the water fishing for trout when we saw a huge school of fish.
Once we got a better look we noticed they were huge Carp.
They were running up the river in some fairly thin water, which helped us to identify them. We were'nt rigged up for Carp so we just enjoyed the view.  

halfhooked

• anything more would be shopping
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2010, 01:22 PM »
They are like most any fish it all in how you care and prepare them carp have to be kept cool cleaned as quickly as possible they don't freeze well  fillet them out then on the front end of the fillet there is a dark piece of meat that is their lateral line remove that and season and cook it like you like it
                                                                      Ed

BASSMAN STAN

• - CAMP STANLEY -
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2010, 10:40 PM »
They are like most any fish it all in how you care and prepare them carp have to be kept cool cleaned as quickly as possible they don't freeze well  fillet them out then on the front end of the fillet there is a dark piece of meat that is their lateral line remove that and season and cook it like you like it
                                                                      Ed

Well you did it !
My mouth is watering........................

Fishing_Machine

« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:56 AM »

When I was a kid, my father used to bring home a pond raised carp as part of our Christmas eve dinner.  I don't remember how it was prepared but do remember it had a unique taste, not bad in any way.  Just different.  I was small then (so the fish looked huge)but they would probably be 6-8 lbs live weight.  My father was Polish from the old country and told me it was a traditional Christmas meal.  This went on for a few years until his source for the pond raised fish dried up.  FM

BASSMAN STAN

• - CAMP STANLEY -
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2010, 12:42 PM »
I don't remember how it was prepared but do remember it had a unique taste, not bad in any way.  Just different. 

And he lived to talked about it .
Can't beat that.  :laugh:

BaitWrangler

« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2010, 03:11 PM »
                                                                      Ed

Neat info Ed.  Makes a lot of sense as I've seen a Polish gentleman keep his catch before and he bags the fish and keeps them live. I've seen a lot of Carp tackle stores carry these bags, whether its just for keeping them alive for the best time/place to take a picture or when to kill it to filet it - the bag was the same.

When I was a kid, my father used to bring home a pond raised carp as part of our Christmas eve dinner.  I don't remember how it was prepared but do remember it had a unique taste, not bad in any way.  Just different.  I was small then (so the fish looked huge)but they would probably be 6-8 lbs live weight.  My father was Polish from the old country and told me it was a traditional Christmas meal.  This went on for a few years until his source for the pond raised fish dried up.  FM

FM You mention the unqiue taste.  Maybe your father made one of the Jewish dishes like Gefilte.  That supposivly is funky regardless of what fish you use.  If you've got the taste buds for it its great I guess.  Not me... I don't even eat shellfish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.