FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Counting down...... Annual Canada Walleye Trip  (Read 2372 times)

SkeeterJeff

Counting down...... Annual Canada Walleye Trip
« on: Jul 06, 2009, 06:46 PM »
Jill and I leave in 17 days for our annual trip to Garden Island Lodge on Lady Evelyn Lake in NE Ontario.  We are pumped and ready to get on that elusive 30+ inch 'eye.  I caught a 29.75" 'eye last year, and a 29.5" 'eye in '07.  Jill got into a 29.5" 'eye last year, so we have been soooooo very close, but unable to break that elusive 30" barrier. 

I will post a report and pictures when we get home on the 2nd of August.

Jeff

fishinfiend

Re: Counting down...... Annual Canada Walleye Trip
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2009, 07:52 PM »
Sounds like fun, you will get the 30in. eye  ;D

SkeeterJeff

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2009, 10:03 PM »
All packed and ready to head out before noon tomorrow.  We will be on the water fishing by noon Saturday.

We will gt some pictures and a report posted when we get back.

Jeff

gill gitter

« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2009, 03:25 AM »
good luck jeff! hope you accomplish your goal.

wallin

« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2009, 07:42 AM »
Good Luck Jeff, I seen pictures of them Hogs you catch up there, dress warm this year and bring plenty of pics.
Tom
Wallin

SkeeterJeff

« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2009, 07:09 PM »
We are back safe and sound after another great week of Walleye and Smallmouth fishing on Lady Evelyn Lake out of Garden Island Lodge in Ontario, Canada.  Our goal was to break that elusive 30" Walleye mark and one of us met the goal.  :)

The week was cloudy with rain off and on all week with moderate winds.  Excellent Walleye fishing conditions.  Temps were in the low 70's every day and only one night was cool enough to fire up the propane heater in the cabin.  Water temps were in the 66-69 degree mark which is low for the end of July. 

Here is the view from our cabin, #5 that we stay in every year.  The front deck is literally 10' from the water and you can hear it lapping at the rocks all day and night.

We had a good week, catching and releasing over 100 Walleye over 18".  We estimate we caught somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 for the week between the four of us.  Here is a video of Jill picking up her THIRD!!! 27.5" 'eye of the week on Thursday.

The highlight of the week came early.  On Sunday evening, our second day there, Jill hooked into this one.

32" and 11 3/4# using 6# test Trilene XT and a Bubble Gum colored Road Runner 1/8 oz with a willow blade, Shimano Spirex 2500 RD reel and Shimano 7' Convergence Medium/Fast spin casting rod.  It took 20 minutes to land.  It should have only taken 15 minutes, but I missed it with the net the first time and it took off to the bottom one more time before giving up.  :-[

My biggest of the year was 28", so I still have not broken that 30" barrier, but it was awesome to watch Jill fight that fish and be the first in our group to officially break the 30" mark. 

All in all we had an excellent week, ate fish almost every day again, and brought some nice fish home.  We made or reservations for next year before we left on Saturday morning.

Anyone wanting any additional information about Lady Evelyn Lake and/or Garden Island Lodge, just shoot me a PM.

Here is a link to our photo album from this year's trip:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s305/SkeeterJeff/Canada_2009/

Mr. gill

« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2009, 10:52 PM »
Now thats what I call a walleye trip. GREAT pics.

john t.

« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2009, 11:19 PM »
Thats a very nice fish.

Eye Popper

« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2009, 11:33 AM »
A few of my buddies & me used to go up to Lady Evelyn back 25 years ago, wow I'm getting old. I've tried several times to get the wife to go but once she heard about going to the restroom in a garbage bag lined trashcan & getting your drinking water from the lake, she decided differently. Of course I'm sure things have changed.
I'm glad I read this post, brings back memories.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.