FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cost of Fish?  (Read 3273 times)

Boomer

Cost of Fish?
« on: Jul 12, 2009, 01:37 PM »
Went shopping yesterday for groceries. Don't mind shopping but hate paying. Went by the meat counter and looked at the prices for fish!!! Catfish - whole $3.99/lb; Walleye fliet - $8+/lb; yellow perch fliets - $9+ / lb.  I gave away some catfish (whole but cleaned and ready-to-eat) to my wife's boss last week. Figured about $50 worth and he wanted to pay her something for our trouble. First, I did not send them to him for money. Second, accepting money would be illegal here in Indiana. Third, we are getting low on catfish and others so I guess I/we will have to go fishing again soon ( >:( :D :D >:(.  Anyone else ever figure the price(?) of their catch? (I keep telling the wife that we need to unlock the jewelry box and put a padlock on the freezer.)

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Re: Cost of Fish?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2009, 01:43 PM »
it is pretty amazing the price of fish. If Im in the mood for a little extra Trout for the table or freezer I have been known to hit the trout farm. The price is about $3.50 a lb at the farm and you can enjoy the process, or go to the grocery store and pay $3.00 for 100g..you do the math.

when on the lake I share my catch with the family. It is illegal here in Ontario to sell your catch as well...I think the prices they charge in the grocery store should be illegal

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2009, 03:22 PM »
I KNOW THAT THOSE JUMBOS ON LAKE MICHIGAN COST ME AROUND 40 TO 50 BUCKS A POUND. WITH GAS,BAIT,LAUNCH FEES,AND LUNCH IT IS A BIT SALTY. BUT, WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY       PRICELESS........

Boomer

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2009, 03:41 PM »
abishop - I would be happy to come up and catch a few of those jumbos with you. My son, wife and I have wanted to do that for some time but really don't know the area. What price do you put on the fun of catching the fish?

kesdadddy7597

« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2009, 03:45 PM »
The real rip off is those who pay $8-10/lb for bluegill fillets.  At that price I think between my dad and I we well over $400-$500 worth in the freezer as we speak.   Sometimes I think that I am in the wrong business!!

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2009, 09:51 PM »
the cost to be taken fishing on another persons boat... be generous to the owner help with gas snacks beverages maybe a launch fee bait you know the obvious things, at least offer its up to the owner on what they will accept some are more generous than others if its my good buddies i have them replace it with a good hunting trip. hahahaha
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

Piggyn

« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2009, 09:13 PM »
The real rip off is those who pay $8-10/lb for bluegill fillets.

I've seen them for even more than that!
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

hook em

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2009, 11:50 AM »

Gentlemen,

The real problem is the American dollar has become worthless,China has ALL our money.........

fishinloco1958

« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2009, 05:58 AM »
The real rip off is those who pay $8-10/lb for bluegill fillets.  At that price I think between my dad and I we well over $400-$500 worth in the freezer as we speak.   Sometimes I think that I am in the wrong business!!

Yeah kesdadddy7597, the cost of pizza, the cost of catchin fish, easy choice! Hopin to liberate a few pounds of those filets from the "the old man" this fall! Maybe swap him some venison!  ;D

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2009, 09:12 PM »

It's not really  a rip off. It's basically supply and demand. There aren't many people producing bluegills for consumption and at least some are wild caught on tribal waters or states or where it's legal to harvest them from public waters.

As a past president of the Indiana Aquaculture Association I've tried to convince people to produce them for consumption but to no avail. I've seen fillets for up to $17.00 per pound at Myers! The potential producers claim they can't get them to food size in a year but that's not true as it can be done with the right genetic stock and if they are raised indoors. Many of those same people attempted yellow perch indoors instead and lost their butts!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

cohobob

« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2009, 05:41 AM »
I glad most of the crooks in Washington don't have time to fish or hunt, or they would be in our back pockets,
they would come up with some type of law so the illegals would have first choice of where to fish, free liscence,and no limits.

rico

• Give me some lovin'
« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2009, 06:06 AM »
This is some dang good reading gentlemen.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2009, 06:46 PM »
I glad most of the crooks in Washington don't have time to fish or hunt, or they would be in our back pockets,
they would come up with some type of law so the illegals would have first choice of where to fish, free liscence,and no limits.

Now tell us how you really feel Bob.

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

hook em

« Reply #13 on: Aug 02, 2009, 02:37 PM »

The price of Fishing is no doubt out of control,It cost us ALL to keep those DNR Officer's driving those
           High priced 4 X 4 SUV's,and of course to keep there tank's full.As people continue to lose there job's
           they still need to put food on there table's,I would rather have them live off the land ,then stick a
            gun in my Face.....As for Fishing,I love our sport, and as long as I can afford to do it,I will......

LOL........

junior88

• Captain Insano Shows No Mercy !
« Reply #14 on: Aug 02, 2009, 03:09 PM »
What is nice about fishing is that one can make it as expensive or as "cheap" as he wants to. Aside of the license fee and fuel for your vehicle. Many of us choose to buy bait and purchase pricey lures, when worms are free for the taking and a minnow trap only costs 10 bucks. I spend winter nights tying my own crappie jigs and worm harnesses. I admit to being a "meat fisherman". If I dont like it as table fare I dont fish for it , with  the exception of river cats. As far as the economics of my fishing for my meals ? I probably could eat Prime Rib three nights a week for what I spend to fish, but I would rather spend the time and money that I do fishing and eat bluegill and perch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.