FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Monroe 8-8-09  (Read 1469 times)

SkeeterJeff

Monroe 8-8-09
« on: Aug 09, 2009, 02:48 PM »
Jill and I camped at Monroe this weekend and fished about five hours yesterday.  Conditions were as follows:

Partly cloudy, wind 10-15mph
Water temps 78-82 degrees
Depth between 12-18 FOW
Fishing a wind blown point with 1/8 oz roadrunners, orange and bubblegum
Area:  Moores Creek

Most of you know we have struggled here in Indiana getting on the fish.  I put my thinking cap on yesterday and decided to do some searching before wetting a line.  We located what we though was a small pod of walleye on the windward side of the point, waypointed it on the gps, went up wind and did a couple of drifts through.  I caught a short, and was encouraged.  Next drift we had the first double of our lives (including our fishing in Canada), but both were too close to the 14" minimum to keep, so back they went.  Ended up with five between us, biggest being 14.75".  Nothing to brag about, but I now have some much needed confidence that I had lost last year. 

We planned on fishing again today, but I didn't get the sun screen on in time yesterday and am totally fried, so we packed up this morning and came home.  We really wish we could have went back out today, because we didn't get to fish the end of the point yesterday like we wanted.  A guy in a bass boat stuck right on the end of the point all day.  He did make a nice $40k marker bouy though.  :)

Jeff

abishop

Re: Monroe 8-8-09
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2009, 02:56 PM »
Way to go. I have been saying that I am going to fish Monroe for the last 5 years. Now my son no longer gois to Bloomington and it will be really hard now. I have been told that people who fish the lake on a regular basis, do exceptionally well or very poor. I guess the water levels matter  the most. MAYBE ONE OF THESE DAYS I WILL MAKE A LONG WEEKEND OUT. Oh, buy the way; did you try for any crappies?

FishDaddy09

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2009, 08:14 AM »
I used to work with some guy's who went down there Turkey hunting they would really knock the stripers below the dam.

Boomer

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2009, 02:35 PM »
We were down there the first of Aug. Did really well on the bluegill. (pm me if you need a little help) We did not get into the walleye but looks like you did pretty well. Congrats. Try trolling with large spoons for wipers (I do not think that Monroe has stripers in it.). We used a "poor man's" downrigger and had some luck. SkeeterJeff - did you see any wipers in the jumps?

SkeeterJeff

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2009, 05:23 PM »
My wife caught four or five small crappie, but we were targeting the walleye.  Saw a guy at the cleaning station with probably 20 real nice (10-13") crappie.  I hear it is either feast or famine on the crappie there.  Either you get into a bunch of dinks or you get into the nice ones.  I haven't crappie fished the lake myself, so I can't say. 

Didn't get into any wipers either, and surprisingly only two or three of those pesky yellow bass. 

Looking forward to going back someday soon.  Preferably when it is a bit cooler!!

Jeff

camocrazy82

• Watch EM'! Watch EM'! GET EM'!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2009, 09:27 PM »
looking forward to going back someday soon.  Preferably when it is a bit cooler!!

Jeff

No kidding! Bring your boat up North, Its a little cooler but not much. See you on the other side...........

fishinfiend

« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2009, 05:34 PM »
I lived in B-town for 4 years, Monroe is awesome fishery.   Try below the dam for stripers and crappie.

Boomer

« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2009, 09:07 AM »
We were there a few weeks ago and the water below the dam was still very high. Would like to go again when the water is fishable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.