FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fiddleheads  (Read 22009 times)

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
Fiddleheads
« on: May 13, 2013, 07:31 AM »
Had a few questions about fiddleheads from some members so I am bumping this thread. Good time to go get some.

Had a few PM's about fiddleheads so I bumped this post I did a few years ago. Disregard the times I mentioned now is the time to get them.

I know that this is off topic but I had a few of the members asking about how to identify them from a previous post I did so I took some pictures when I was out on one of the rivers in the area yesterday. Unfortunately most of them have gone by in my area but I am sure up north there are still plenty to pick. Started out picking them quite a few years ago with my father and grandfather in the early 60's. Was a family ritual in the spring for us. Now it is a ritual for only me.

This is what they look like when they are first coming out. The golden coveriing on the heads of the fonds stands out and is a good identifier. The fuzzy ones that you see on the side of the roads are not fiddleheads. Stalks look like celery stalks.

These are good picking sizes. The heads are still tight and haven't started spreading out. I leave a few heads on the fonds to reach full size to allow the plant to continue to survive for the next year.

These are still pickable but are just starting to spread out.

The ones in the back and side are gone by but the ones in the front are still pickable.

Most of the patches I pick are on the edges of rivers and streams although they can be found in other wet locations. Caught two bows here.

Hopefully this helps those who asked for pictures. Great this time of year catching trout and fiddleheading at the same time.

AquaAssassin

Re: Fiddleheads
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:05 AM »
Thanks for the lesson buddy!
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Sinnian

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 09:58 AM »
One of the best identifying markers is the "u"/"v" shaped stalk, like celery.
Sometimes it's better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open you mouth and remove all doubt ~ Abe Lincoln
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument ~W McAdoo

JRA

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 01:10 PM »
X 2 on the groove for ID.  Thanks for the drop off Yesterday Denny greatly appreciated.  Found some new spots this am but to far open. Next year!!

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 02:45 PM »
The fuzzy ones that you see on the side of the roads are not fiddleheads.

Yep, I found that out. Opened my back door and said "Awesome! I have fiddleheads growing right out my door!!" Two days later I realized they were ferns. They look like a fiddlehead before they frond out.

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 02:49 PM »
Thanks for the lesson buddy!

Head west next spring and we can pick some and go for some wallies at the same time.

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 02:49 PM »

Thanks forgot to put that in.

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 02:51 PM »
X 2 on the groove for ID.  Thanks for the drop off Yesterday Denny greatly appreciated.  Found some new spots this am but to far open. Next year!!

Anytime John. Don't tell anyone about those spots except for me.  ;D

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Yep, I found that out. Opened my back door and said "Awesome! I have fiddleheads growing right out my door!!" Two days later I realized they were ferns. They look like a fiddlehead before they frond out.

Jethro did you try any?

AquaAssassin

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 03:06 PM »
Head west next spring and we can pick some and go for some wallies at the same time.

I like that idea buddy, never caught a walleye
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 07:41 AM »
Jethro did you try any?

No sir, but I am planning on taking a trip north this weekend and hopefully will come across some.

Dispy

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 12:05 PM »
Excellent descriptive posting of the well sought after "fiddlehead."    ;D
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 12:16 PM »
I like that idea buddy, never caught a walleye

Frank so head west young man and lose your walleye virginity.

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 12:18 PM »
No sir, but I am planning on taking a trip north this weekend and hopefully will come across some.

Good luck fishing and heading up north. You should be able to find some if the locals haven't beat you to them.

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 12:20 PM »
Excellent descriptive posting of the well sought after "fiddlehead."    ;D

Thanks Dipsy. Do you can a lot of them? I just eat as many as I can and freeze the rest.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.