FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fiddleheads  (Read 21953 times)

AquaAssassin

Re: Fiddleheads
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 12:21 PM »
How far down the chute do you break them off? I assume you leave the roots for the future? Also if you take them all off one plant will it die? And what about preparing them? You can PM all that if you like lol
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 12:22 PM »
I was out last night scouting birds for a friend and came across a Ton of them but they looked to have gone by, they were all around a small stream that dumped out of a little pond in some really wet soil?

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Dispy

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 12:30 PM »
Thanks Dipsy. Do you can a lot of them? I just eat as many as I can and freeze the rest.
Yes I can as many as I can pick. I serve them up many different ways too. Love those iron rich ferns ;)
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 01:06 PM »
How far down the chute do you break them off? I assume you leave the roots for the future? Also if you take them all off one plant will it die? And what about preparing them? You can PM all that if you like lol

I leave about an inch at the stem but it depends on how far they are out (see pic). You can't get to the roots becasue of the base of the fond. They come up at different times out of the fond. I try not to strip them all. I steam them for about 5 minutes or till they are tender. You can also boil them. I'm sure there is other ways to prepare them. Dipsy?

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 01:08 PM »
I was out last night scouting birds for a friend and came across a Ton of them but they looked to have gone by, they were all around a small stream that dumped out of a little pond in some really wet soil?

Sounds like a prime location. Take a pic next time you might have found a good spot.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 01:09 PM »
ok great, so all parts picked are edible then? No trimming?

Dispy

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 01:09 PM »
I leave about an inch at the stem but it depends on how far they are out (see pic). You can't get to the roots becasue of the base of the fond. They come up at different times out of the fond. I try not to strip them all. I steam them for about 5 minutes or till they are tender. You can also boil them. I'm sure there is other ways to prepare them. Dipsy?

Nothing better than pan seared in butter :laugh:  But ?I must admit there are other ways..including steaming etc...
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

Dispy

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 01:13 PM »
Picked or pickled cause those are great too....sorry but you have piqued my cooking senses..Now I am hungry to serve up potato fried Salmon or trout with a nice red sauce including fiddleheads..thanks Franky for making me hungry ;) Now I just need to go out and catch a few :P

AquaAssassin

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 01:15 PM »
Save some of that meal for me lol!

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 01:22 PM »
Yes all edible. Just a good washing is all that is needed. If they are in the frig for a few days the ends will need to be pinched off.

Dispy

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 01:40 PM »
Yes all edible. Just a good washing is all that is needed. If they are in the frig for a few days the ends will need to be pinched off.

Yummy pickled red sauce served over swordfish :)

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 01:48 PM »

Yummy pickled red sauce served over swordfish :)

Are you eating that now? Where's the heads?

Dispy

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 01:50 PM »
Are you eating that now? Where's the heads?
In my belly ;D

AquaAssassin

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Lol! I had venison loaf that looks better. Venison isn't as appealing when you eat it 5 nights a week your whole life

Dispy

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 02:05 PM »
Lol! I had venison loaf that looks better. Venison isn't as appealing when you eat it 5 nights a week your whole life
Geesh, I was only posting a meal to answer meatandmetal's question. Sorry your palette does not like fish :laugh: :laugh:  Especially ones you have not caught ;) No I said "Pespi no Coke"  :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.