FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fiddleheads  (Read 22011 times)

AquaAssassin

Re: Fiddleheads
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 02:15 PM »
Lol! I was missing a comma, I'm on my phone. What I was saying is I had venison meatloaf for lunch, the Swordfish looks much better. Now you see?  ;D
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Dispy

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 02:16 PM »
AMEN and may your belly lack the fine taste of fiddleheads ;D  You know I am only having fun with you Frank ;)
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 02:37 PM »
Lol! I had venison loaf that looks better. Venison isn't as appealing when you eat it 5 nights a week your whole life

If I ate venison 5 nights a week I would buy stock in Ducolex. Just wondering about the other 2 nights? Quiche?

AquaAssassin

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 02:47 PM »
You build up a immunity to it. I ended the season with 165 lbs. deboned last year. It's about gone. The other two nights from here out will consist of striped bass and Flounder. Can't wait Til the garden starts producing

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Dispy

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 02:53 PM »
You build up a immunity to it. I ended the season with 165 lbs. deboned last year. It's about gone. The other two nights from here out will consist of striped bass and Flounder. Can't wait Til the garden starts producing
Frank?? Does this mean at your young age ,that you depend upon "Depends" for your fishing outings?  :blink:
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

AquaAssassin

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 03:09 PM »
Nah, immunity I said :D. Even my Pabst doesn't irritate this garbage gut 8)

Dispy

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 03:16 PM »
Nah, immunity I said :D. Even my Pabst doesn't irritate this garbage gut 8)
You must eat a lot of cheese and rough-age ;)

Sinnian

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 04:44 PM »
Fiddleheads should go through a hard boil before you do anything with them (except perhaps pickling?) ~ there are some nasty bacteria and pathogens that like to live on and around them.
Sometimes it's better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open you mouth and remove all doubt ~ Abe Lincoln
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument ~W McAdoo

outdoorsman

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 05:58 PM »
I like to give fiddleheads a blanch before I do most other types of cooking with them to kill potential foodborne pathogens that could be present due to their prevalence to live in silty/sandy riparian zones.

There are so many things you can do with fiddleheads.  Here are some of them!

When you get a lot of them like this, there is room for experimentation.

Pickled.

Breakfast, in scrambled eggs.

More breakfast...with bacon and a cream sauce, on toast!

For lunch (or anytime), sauteed, boiled, or steamed on their own.

The classic brook trout with fiddleheads.

(Sorry, no pic, I eat that one too fast to get a picture)

Striper with ramps and fiddleheads (tonight's dinner)

With a side of fresh crappie and cold beer.

Fiddlehead Mac and Cheese

With some parmesan cheese, and a side of fried morels!

Quiche (extremely good).  My personal favorite.

And my other personal favorite:  salmon stuffed with fiddlehead stuffing.

Before cooking:

The finished product:

Gotta love fiddleheads (and everything else wild)!
"I just want to get the work over as soon as possible so I can do some fishing. Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except that I still get to kill something."

AquaAssassin

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2013, 06:12 PM »
Wow!

Sinnian

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2013, 06:36 PM »
WOW is right!

I don't remember you showing off these talents on the Maine Board  ;)

Quiche is my personal favorite as well.  Though the Mac & Cheese has my curiosity peaked to a feverish pitch!
Sometimes it's better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open you mouth and remove all doubt ~ Abe Lincoln
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument ~W McAdoo

AquaAssassin

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2013, 06:57 PM »
Dispy got some competition :P

outdoorsman

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Quiche is my personal favorite as well.  Though the Mac & Cheese has my curiosity peaked to a feverish pitch!

I added blanched fiddleheads to a generic homemade mac and cheese recipe before I baked it (sort of like adding onions or anything else for that matter before baking).  Came out quite well actually, and I also added cooked fiddleheads to a homemade parmesan alfredo (that doesn't get baked) and that was good too although not as photogenic.
"I just want to get the work over as soon as possible so I can do some fishing. Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except that I still get to kill something."

outdoorsman

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2013, 07:27 PM »
I don't remember you showing off these talents on the Maine Board  ;)

I think I posted a couple here and there, but probably not all at once!   8)  I'm definitely missing Maine and the abundance of fiddleheads...although I have found a few good patches here.  Plus, fiddleheading isn't as popular down this way, so nobody picks them!

Dispy

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 06:11 AM »
Dispy got some competition :P
For sure...those dishes look absolutely tasty :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.