FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 519210 times)

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #2010 on: Apr 11, 2018, 04:30 PM »
I have the green beans, peas and sugar snaps about 18” tall. I wish my measly iPhone SE would let me post pictures.

The tomatoes are sprouting, and the vast array of hot peppers are just now busting through.

I hope I can get some of them into the garden in a few weeks, but know I may be buying six packs from the local nursery anyways...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2011 on: Apr 11, 2018, 06:32 PM »
Well, I've been mulling this heated bed idea over all day long. I think a layer of Reflectix buried 3" or so below the surface with 24' of incandescent rope light might do the trick. I'm also gonna try some Reflectix panels fit inside the cover at night. Should be easy enough to try. Cheap enough to do and ....what the heck.....fun!

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

boondox

« Reply #2013 on: Apr 11, 2018, 07:44 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Boon, but I'm looking to heat the soil not the air, or possibly makes a heat platform to set the trays on. I ran across several designs that use incandescent rope light as a heat source. I can buy 24' for around $17 with my discount at Lowes. These were all used in a hot bed where the light string was mounted to foam board in channels and the trays set on top. An adjustable thermostat with a remote sensor runs about &12.

A 24' soil heating cable runs $50 or so with a thermostat that's built in line and not adjustable. I'm still comparing specs, wattage and $/ ft. You know me....I like to do my research.

Really I'd like to heat the soil and once sprouted in the plugs, transfer them to the soil to really get established prior to transplanting them.

Last night the temp in the bed went right down to ambient....23*. That ain't gonna work. Tonight I'm going to try covering the house with a tarp or something and see what happens.
Rg

Was just thinking to bad you don't have a compost pile??  to go geo thermal heating with ??  From how i seen this done is to run a metal hose threw the compost  pile in layers...  then as the fluid in hose  pics up heat from the compost you transfer or convey the heat to the  plant starter house..  threw either a glycol mix or water it's self ..   the pump threw a radiator in the starter house to heat the house.. maybe a project for next year?? Seem this in a article some ware..

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2014 on: Apr 16, 2018, 06:51 AM »

:'(
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2015 on: Apr 19, 2018, 03:42 AM »
 :-\
Stupid snow. It's really slowing things in the garden to a screeching halt. Supposed to get another 2" or so today. Won't stay though. High near 40. Don't think I've ever seen a stretch of cold April like this before. It's been averaging in the low 40's and snowing most every day.  Snows....melts...snows....melts....ugh!

The syrup makers must be working overtime.

The geniuses say there's a change coming next week. Hope they're right.

I'll be building the new cover for the planter this weekend and installing the bed heating and auto vent. Hope to get some seeds started. I guess I'm just anxious to play in the dirt.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2016 on: Apr 19, 2018, 05:24 AM »
Slowing us down pretty good..   Usually we have plants outside on benches by now.. :-\

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2017 on: Apr 19, 2018, 06:24 AM »
Sure is green inside though! Our store has refused delivery of annuals for yet another week. The next two weeks are gonna be a zoo out there.

Rg

tomturkey

« Reply #2018 on: Apr 19, 2018, 08:22 AM »
Raq I almost made it over to your old Michigan stomping grounds the other day. The wife had surgery at Zeeland. We did not get far enough to see the landscape totally covered with green houses. You must have learned good from those Hollanders in Holland.

I was wondering happened to this thread with no one posting. Then I realized any thoughts of planting anything was put on hold with this stupid weather.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2019 on: Apr 19, 2018, 02:25 PM »
Tom hope all is well with your bride.  Hollenders didnt teach me anything about growing flowers. 
My only regret is i never opened a good NY pizza joint in Holland.....   :-\
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

tomturkey

« Reply #2020 on: Apr 19, 2018, 07:00 PM »
Holland is one of the fastest growing places in the state right now. It has been for quite awhile actually. They are redoing the Civic Center and even letting them build a Hop Cat Brewery near by. A NY pizza place would probably go over good there now. I do not get over that way very often. I think the last time I was I took my grandson to Camp Geneva. I think that place might bring back memories if I remember correct.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2021 on: Apr 19, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Yeah I dated a counselor from camp Geneva by the name of Sandy VanDam from Kzoo... No lie....    Thats the closest I will become to a pro fishermen....

tomturkey

« Reply #2022 on: Apr 19, 2018, 09:11 PM »
I thought you said some thing like that a while back. Some of them Reformed Church girls can be some fun girls.

That area has sure changed a lot since I used to hunt New Holland street and east of Zeeland back n the early 60's for pheasant. Did you ever get into Prin's Gun shop in Holland? The owners dad hunted some with Teddy Roosevelt.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2023 on: Apr 20, 2018, 07:31 AM »
Woke up to a blanket of snow this morning.  :-\
Tomorrow I'm building the Tuflex cover and frame for the trough planter. Hope to get it done and the rope lights in the bed for some nighttime warmth. Maybe even get some seeds started.

Sunday my Son and I are burying a water line out to the garden. We're just going to slit the sod and set it down about 6" or so. That way I can pull it up in the fall before the freeze. I'm tired of hauling a 100' hose out there every time I want to water in the summer.

Might just get to toss some horse shoes as well.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2024 on: Apr 20, 2018, 09:24 AM »
No Tom i was more into girls and fishing at that point in my life.......

Bob should be in the 50's and sunny for you tomorrow....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.