FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: what do you use for horizontal flashers or such for running off downrigger cable  (Read 3925 times)

tracker2011

• I'm NH piker on IceShanty
I heard of guys putting some type of horizontal spinners or flashers I'm thinking like Dave Davis's or something onto their downrigger balls then running a stacker for you fishing line.  I would like to try this on Winni but was wondering what exactly to buy since I do not have anything like that in my arsenal.  How do you set this up?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  You used to hear years ago about ford fenders, cowbells, Dave Davis's, etc.  I've never tried these. 
Fishing is my first passion, just don't tell the wife!

zwiggles

Go to AJs. He has horizontal, and vertical flashers and he even knows which ones are working on winni.

dickbaker

For a decade or more we have run 48" brass/nickel Dave Davis spinners directly off the ball.   Set a little above marked fish or bait they bring fish up and when the salmon drop back they find a lure or live bait!    Bait or lure is set about 15 feet behind the release which is set two feet above the ball.    No stacking, just a standard release above the ball.    I personally don't like the vertical flashers??    I've never tried mylar flashers but they sure come in pretty colors.  My Dave Davis spinners are simply snapped to the ball with an oversize snap swivel.   Hard to imagine fishermen not using these??  Early in the season we drop the rigger ball down just 8 to 12 ft with the lure back 15 -20 ft.   Exciting when a salmon hits this close!!
Dick

DT5150

get in touch with chris at chappy's guide, he'll hook you up.

http://www.chappysguide.com/index.html

ishoot308

I'll second Chappy's attractors and recommend you get and use both vertical and horizontal flashers. Here is how I set mine up... Downrigger cable attaches to my Chamberlain release, release then gets attached to vertical 2' flashers, vertical flashers get attached to forward top of ball. Horizontal flashers get attached to rear top of ball. Set your lure so you are at least 4' back from the last horizontal blade when in water. If your not using a Chamberlain release, just set whatever release your using just at the top of the vertical flasher.  You want your line to be 2' above your horizontal blades and lure at least 4' behind the last trailing horizontal blade.

Once you get some blade practice in and if you really want to try something different that works, get your self a 4 way 20" spreader and hang 4 sets of horizontal blades off it!  Makes for a beautiful presentation and attractant!

Hope this helps and good luck!

Dan

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Can someone post a picture of a vertical flasher? A google search doesn't seem to help me out at all. I am pretty sure I know what is meant by horizontal flashers, but vertical is totally new to me.

fishlessman

Can someone post a picture of a vertical flasher? A google search doesn't seem to help me out at all. I am pretty sure I know what is meant by horizontal flashers, but vertical is totally new to me.

jim from the jigging boxes used to make some really nice ones. chappys has the stack of smelt. you can simply attach a daves davis inline from the downrigger cable to the ball.  it works great but if it breaks and the will eventually,your also out a ball.  i go with the horiz dave davis and two releases on the same rigger for two lures now, if you find a combo working, do not change the lure not producing, it may be the attractor that triggers the strike on the other lure. top lure usually produces best

ishoot308

Here's a video showing Chappys "Stack-O-Smelt" (vertical) and "School-O-Smelt" (horizontal) in action.

http://www.chappysguide.com/attroll.mp4

Dan

dickbaker

??? fishlessman and I agree.  Start with 48 inch Dave Davis spinner directly off the ball.   Lower them into the water and try to tell me that they won't attract all the salmon that you could possibly want??  Unlike questionable vertical spinners, at the end of the day you just crank up the ball and lay it next to the gunnel along with the horizontal flashers ready for the next morning!  I use brass/nickel Dave Davis because we Mainers have big fights over Brass, Copper, Silver, so I get brass/nickel?    We were using downrigger spinners decades ago when even the pro guides hadn't discovered them??   
Dick

Jethro

Here's a video showing Chappys "Stack-O-Smelt" (vertical) and "School-O-Smelt" (horizontal) in action.

http://www.chappysguide.com/attroll.mp4

Dan

Oh I totally understand now. Not exactly cheap to set up both my riggers with these, but I am going to dive in.

What patterns do people like most? I'm considering the sexy smelt pattern.

fishlessman

Oh I totally understand now. Not exactly cheap to set up both my riggers with these, but I am going to dive in.

fish307 was carrying verticals for about 15 bucks.  i find these a pain to use though, tangled lines when a salmon grabs a lure so close to them, breakoffs losing the downrigger ball/vertical flasher/horizontal flasher/ sometimes the release.  if you want more flashy action down there put a big dodger behind the horizontal

dickbaker

;D ??? Jethro,   Get one set of Dave Davis spinners and set them on one ball and give a test?
Just remember to set flashers above marked fish because they are to bring fish up. 
Dick

ishoot308

I use the "coolwater" pattern the most and trail with something of similar color or at least with orange in it...works well!

Good luck!!

Dan

zwiggles

Pearl colored was my best producer last year, with orange being right behind it.

Jethro

fish307 was carrying verticals for about 15 bucks.  i find these a pain to use though, tangled lines when a salmon grabs a lure so close to them, breakoffs losing the downrigger ball/vertical flasher/horizontal flasher/ sometimes the release.  if you want more flashy action down there put a big dodger behind the horizontal

My god, I can't afford to lose any gear. I just spent a fortune on new riggers, swivel mounts, balls, releases... I think I'll hold off on verticals. I already have some dodgers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.