FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Downrigger Rod/Spooling Question  (Read 6396 times)

ericbres

Downrigger Rod/Spooling Question
« on: May 11, 2017, 09:51 AM »
I'm trying to get set up for our first (spring) Winni derby ... and our first season giving laker/salmon trolling a try and have a couple questions.
(by the way, the book "Angling in the Smile of the Great Spirit", written about fishing on Winni is a WEALTH of knowledge and a great read for any newbies like me - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0974817120/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

1. I'm getting conflicting recommendations regarding what line to spool on my downrigger rods. I read here many guys use heavier mono then a long flouro leader. But, I've also read (and been told by the guy who has been helping me physically set up the boat) that I can just spool up an entire reel of whatever flouro I intend on using (say, 6-8lb). Thoughts?
To be honest, with everything else I need to "learn" on the boat - I'd lean toward just spooling up the whole thing so tying those leaders is one less thing to worry about. But, I also want to do what's best.

2. For lures based on what I've read here - I've picked up some DB Smelt and Mooselook Wobblers. I've been told (again, by the guy helping me with the boat) to grab some Rapalas - but I'm not reading that advice anywhere else. Any input on what else I should throw in the tacklebox? I understand that colors/size/etc can vary and I should expect to change it up frequently - so I'm just trying to get a general idea of other things I should stock up with?

Thanks in advance.

fishlessman

Re: Downrigger Rod/Spooling Question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 10:09 AM »
12 pound mono on the spool, swivel, then 6 feet of 6 pound seagar blue label flouro works for me.  AJ's bait and tackle can better set you up with colors and i would buy some tandem and single hook streamers before stocking up on rapalas, i do use rapalas but on lakes further up like chesuncook in maine. i go with mono on the spool as it stretches better than flouro for shock absorbtion and because its cheaper, and spend the extra on the 6 foot tippet where the actions at

dickbaker

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 10:58 AM »
I've paid for my registration but I will probably be fishing Champlain instead?     My group always stayed at Ames Farm where two previous big prizes were caught right off the dock!
The Derby still means cold water with fish in the top 20 ft!   If you will have a big crew think about a couple of lead core setups (one to three colors).
It means you have to cut up a full spool of lead core but it works?
We only used live shiners (goldens) but I do like the DB Smelt (Wonder bread for cloudy rainy days).   AJ's replacement for the DB's look good too?
We have always spooled all Trilene mono with swivel 8 ft. back of shiner or lure.   I guess a leader of expensive flurocarbon wouldn't be too bad?
Don't become preoccupied with changing spoon colors?   As soon as you change to a new and exciting color a fish will hit the previous color on another rod!!  Look for fish or bait and troll just above them??
Have fun!  Winni salmon aren't monsters but they can often provide a 20 fish per boat day!
Oh!  Make sure you have attractor spinners attached to you rigger balls and keep the bait or lure relatively close behind?
Dick

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 11:30 AM »
12 pound mono on the spool, swivel, then 6 feet of 6 pound seagar blue label flouro works for me.  AJ's bait and tackle can better set you up with colors and i would buy some tandem and single hook streamers before stocking up on rapalas, i do use rapalas but on lakes further up like chesuncook in maine. i go with mono on the spool as it stretches better than flouro for shock absorbtion and because its cheaper, and spend the extra on the 6 foot tippet where the actions at

X2

ericbres

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 11:39 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.

Dick, when you say attractor spinners ... I read in another thread about Dave Davis spinners and was going to order a few of those (brass/nickel) in the shorter size. Is this correct?

dickbaker

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 01:16 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

Dick, when you say attractor spinners ... I read in another thread about Dave Davis spinners and was going to order a few of those (brass/nickel) in the shorter size. Is this correct?

Dave Davie, brass/nickel in the 48 inch long size.  They will bring salmon up from far below your rigger ball!
Dick

boondox

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Why not run 20 or 30 pound braid??then run a 6 or 8 pound leader ? Unless your running planner boards off these rods I would fill them with braid for down rigger and dipseys type divers..

now if running core off a planer to get it away from the boat use the braid as backing then run mono then lead core.. so you can clamp the planner boaRd on the mono.. so the board don't slip and slide down the line to the lead core  might also want to get the book or the down loads from precision trolling on lead core trolling depths like aprox foot back for core colors used..

by the way if you can't afford a down rigger at first use dipseys divers there cheaper but truthfully the down rigger help find fish! Cause its more controlled depth then a dipseys diver.. why not just buy or make cow bells either vertical or horizontal  they sell a few tools to make them at jannsnetcraft.Com like the net craft tac L tool. 

Theirs so much out there just take it slow and enjoy your self it's fishing it don't have to be complicated..

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 06:58 PM »
Why not run 20 or 30 pound braid??then run a 6 or 8 pound leader ? Unless your running planner boards off these rods I would fill them with braid for down rigger and dipseys type divers..

now if running core off a planer to get it away from the boat use the braid as backing then run mono then lead core.. so you can clamp the planner boaRd on the mono.. so the board don't slip and slide down the line to the lead core  might also want to get the book or the down loads from precision trolling on lead core trolling depths like aprox foot back for core colors used..

by the way if you can't afford a down rigger at first use dipseys divers there cheaper but truthfully the down rigger help find fish! Cause its more controlled depth then a dipseys diver.. why not just buy or make cow bells either vertical or horizontal  they sell a few tools to make them at jannsnetcraft.Com like the net craft tac L tool. 

Theirs so much out there just take it slow and enjoy your self it's fishing it don't have to be complicated..

I agree with Boon.

Only thing to mention is to use braid, and not a super line.
The super lines have Teflon or something that makes them super slippery.
This creates problems with the line slipping thru the releases.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 07:20 PM »

For rigger rods I like to use braid for backing. Lasts way longer than mono.
I follow the braid with 150 or so feet of mono than spro swivel and a rods length of fluoro leader.

Boondox, curious where you get your flasher blade, blanks?
I've never seen them at Jann's or anywhere else.

boondox

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 07:36 PM »
Try www.hagensfish.Com for flasher blades etc.. even spoon blanks etc are sold their if wondering or looking for some products look around I maybe thinking some thing different then you so let me know if iam thinking wrong flasher blades..

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 07:42 AM »

Only thing to mention is to use braid, and not a super line.
The super lines have Teflon or something that makes them super slippery.
This creates problems with the line slipping thru the releases.
[/quote]

Or tearing up the release pads.

ericbres

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 10:18 AM »

Sounds good. I'm looking at braid now (and yes, easy to confuse it with superline which seems to be mixed in with my search). Didn't realize there was such a large amount available.
I've got 2 manual downriggers (loan from Father in Law), so I'll be in good shape there.

Thanks again.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 02:21 PM »
Try www.hagensfish.Com for flasher blades etc.. even spoon blanks etc are sold their if wondering or looking for some products look around I maybe thinking some thing different then you so let me know if iam thinking wrong flasher blades..
Thanks for this boondox. I have their catalog kicking around here.
The terminology does get a little mixed up on "blades".
I'm not looking for flashers or spoon blanks but vertical and horizontal "attractor" blades for a friend.
All that being said, they're pretty inexpensive on the web.   

dickbaker

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 03:37 PM »
 ??? ::)  verical flashers are just a big headache?    Assuming that anybody knows what VERTICAL flashers are?
Dick

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 08:05 PM »
??? ::)  verical flashers are just a big headache?    Assuming that anybody knows what VERTICAL flashers are?
Dick
Dick, you really crack me up.  :rotflol: :rotflol:
If you only had a clue.  ;)

I fish with many, many guys that use verticals.
Most of us use them along with horizontals and have been doing so for many years.
They are not a headache in the least and they are very effective if you know how.

I understand that you don't know how to use them or at least effectively.
You really shouldn't make so many broad statements about stuff you know so little about.   :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.