FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: trolling rod  (Read 4895 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: trolling rod
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2018, 08:19 AM »
I just got a Penn Warfare reel last season and I'm going to buy 3 more of them to replace all my downrigger and leadcore setups with. 5.1:1 ratio, 29" of line per turn... incredible for leadcore and also great with the rigger rods. Smooth reel, nice. https://www.cabelas.com/product/PENN-WARFARE-LEVELWIND-TROLLING-REELS/2134384.uts?productVariantId=4404460&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=BingPLA&WT.z_mc_id1=04314839&rid=20&msclkid=e48fc8d7d5ad1f4d55b5926f3ab2a689&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=CJHo2_WFitoCFUvWswodbRICQQ&gclsrc=ds

My first really nice leadcore setup was a Shimano Moocher reel on an 8' Ugly Stick and I liked it fairly well but I found I far perfer a levelwind for trolling. Reeling up all that leadcore you have to use your finger to make sure the line all spools correctly or it will all load on one side of the reel and bind eventually. I actually almost lost a nice fish because I was fighting it hard and all the line spooled up on the side. From that point on I am a levelwind guy for life. To be fair, if you have a roomy fishing platform it's a lot easier to spool it back up because you can be facing straight back towards the line pull, at the time I had a small 14' boat that was a little tough for fighting fish- I had to stand at a bit of an angle which screwed up the way it spooled.

The one thing that a mooching reel is really nice for is letting line back out. It happens twice as fast as a levelwind.

As far as trolling rods, that's easy. I'll buy the Ugly Stick Bigwater Trolling rods for everything. They have a nice butt end that has grooves that lock into my rocket launchers on the downriggers, they aren't super expensive and they are durable as can be. https://www.cabelas.com/product/SHAKESPEARE-UGLY-STIK-BIG-WATER-DOWNRIGGER-RODS/2398217.uts?slotId=8

boondox

« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2018, 07:53 PM »
At Jethro I do recomend the warfare my self to but do not recommend the general purpose models..  lIke the 209m  and 309m  there made too cheaply now a days..  I got three warfare  30's for my wall fishing back up rods...  I use 3 penn pursuit 2 in the 8000 size should have bought the fierce 2 series 8000 if I would have know better??  that they have a all metal frame and side plate..  mine are graphite frame with a metal side plate.. but the higher end reels from pen are were people should be looking at Penn..  not the low end.. any how diawa accudepth and sealine are other good reels..  but each  has there purposes.  And reasons any how thanks for bring that up jethro..

fishsluggos

« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2018, 08:42 PM »
Hi all, my leadcore trolling set up finally died. It was a 1970 something outfit. Any suggestions for a replacement set up? Many changes in recent years and lead core isn't as popular as it used to be. I still like it and want a new rod and reel. It should hold at least 12 colors and the rod should be of a medium action. Thanks all.

Based on your specs that's a pretty heavy setup. Unless your chasing Kings on Lake O. Or late season trolling in the thermo-cline for LL salmon that you need 12 colors. At that point I'd use down riggers.  And a different rod reel combo. Straight mono to the DR's then just me and the fish no LC.

Trolling LL Salmon ice out the fish are up top and I like a lighter rod and reel to fight the fish. A 8' Daiwa Kokanee rod with a Abu Garcia 6600 reel 6:2.1 ratio works well and can hold up to 5 colors of the thin 18' LC.

FWIW, I do have a Shimano Charter Special reel Lined with 10 colors of LC on a Shimano Talora rod that is a nice setup but the reel is a slug reeling up a fish at 4:2.1 ratio. ZZZZzzzzzzz...

YMMV

gradysjeep

« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Anyone use a Shimano Talora?  I was looking at maybe picking up the 8' med light for another leadcore setup. 

fishsluggos

« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2018, 06:48 PM »
Anyone use a Shimano Talora?  I was looking at maybe picking up the 8' med light for another leadcore setup.

Mine is a Shimano Talora TLA-80ML-2, 8' 2 pc line wt 8-17' power medium light, action medium fast. Got it when Sports Authority was going out of business for about $50. It handles 10 colors LC no problem. I'm guessing it will be perfect for LakeO kings with a faster reel. Like a Diawa SALTISTŪ LEVELWIND REEL.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #20 on: Apr 13, 2018, 07:08 AM »
Shakespeare Ugly Stick Bigwater rod with a Penn Warfare LC20 is the best leadcore setup I have used so far... I love it so much I am buying another identical to it. The Penn Warfare is a 5.1:1 retrieve, 29" of line per each crank of the handle.   

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/penn-warfare-levelwind-conventional-saltwater-reel

JDK

« Reply #21 on: Apr 13, 2018, 09:00 AM »

I am a huge fan of Shimano but I found that there seems to be absolutely no standardization with their rod ratings.  I looked at 2 side by side one time, both marked medium action.  Same rod in every respect except one was a pool que and the other was much lighter.   That seems to be a trend with their rods.
# SAND

stguy

« Reply #22 on: Apr 13, 2018, 09:16 AM »
I am a huge fan of Shimano but I found that there seems to be absolutely no standardization with their rod ratings.  I looked at 2 side by side one time, both marked medium action.  Same rod in every respect except one was a pool que and the other was much lighter.   That seems to be a trend with their rods.

I have 2 of them labeled exactly the same and they are 2 completely different rods, I thought it was just me.

stguy

« Reply #23 on: Apr 13, 2018, 09:17 AM »
Shakespeare Ugly Stick Bigwater rod with a Penn Warfare LC20 is the best leadcore setup I have used so far... I love it so much I am buying another identical to it. The Penn Warfare is a 5.1:1 retrieve, 29" of line per each crank of the handle.   

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/penn-warfare-levelwind-conventional-saltwater-reel

Also my favorite in the downriggers with a charter special reel

JDK

« Reply #24 on: Apr 13, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Shakespeare Ugly Stick Bigwater rod   

I honestly believe that if I were doing it all over again, I would buy 2, slap a Shimano Trition 100G on each and live happily ever after.  Bulletproof in every aspect and the money I'd save in rods and reels (especially for downrigging) would buy a boatload of gas.

# SAND

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.