FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Setting up the boat to troll...  (Read 30939 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Setting up the boat to troll...
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2018, 09:21 PM »
OMG, that's a nice boat! Mine is rated to 225hp so I think it should be able to handle a small kicker.

Just trying to think of what I should do first... the I-Pilot or the kicker? The trolling bags are getting ordered today for sure. I want the I-Pilot but my first big trip of the year is a remote camping situation where I will be off the grid for 4 days. I do this a few times a year so electric won't do me much good there.

burgerunh

« Reply #16 on: Mar 27, 2018, 07:39 AM »
Sweet boat Jethro!!!  I saw that one on CL and thought it was a great deal for someone!

I have a very similar Lund Fisherman 2100.  I don't think you will think it is too big once you start fishing out of it.  Especially once you add in the 3rd fisherman.  I have even fished 4 guys and 7 rods without issue out of mine.  Its all about rod holder placement and spreading things out with otter boats and downriggers.  If you would like some suggestions let me know.

As far as your question I would recommend a kicker as well.  I run a merc 15 hp 4-stroke and it works well.  I kind of wish it was a 9.9 but that is what came with the boat.  Be sure to go with a 2-cylinder motor.  The single cylinders vibrate like crazy and will drive you nuts.  It is also definitely a good idea to have one that will charge your battery while it is running.  I also bought the lowest pitch prop I could find for mine on Ebay.  I can get mine to about 1.8 with the prop.  I am going to look into getting the diameter cut down like one person suggested in this thread.  I have issues with carbon build up in the head of my kicker and it would be nice to run at a slightly higher RPM.  I save the big motor for running between spots.  Call around to marinas and see if anyone has any leftover previous model year small outboards they are looking to sell.  Good luck with the new boat hope to see you out there!

Jethro

« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2018, 09:30 AM »
Yup, I jumped on it. About 6 months ago someone posted a '95 Lund Tyee that was set up nice for close to the same money and I slept on it one day too late, so I called this guy immediately and set it up. I've learned it is next to impossible to find a decent 18' or bigger aluminum walkthrough that isn't underpowered and/or with the wrong trailer. Not that I need something with big power, but what is up with all these heavy, 18' to 20' boats with 40 or 50 horse motors on them? If I'm on big water and I need to scoot for some reason I want that ability.

I am hoping I can grab a 9.9 somewhere used in the next month, but judging how hard it was just to find the boat, that may be tough.

And yes Burgerunh... happy for any suggestions on rod holder placements! I am struggling over the downrigger placement right now as well. This boat has recessed cleats and I don't want to interfere with them.

Mac Attack

« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2018, 10:12 AM »

I am hoping I can grab a 9.9 somewhere used in the next month, but judging how hard it was just to find the boat, that may be tough.

8 will work too.

electric start required
alternator output for the battery required
power trim/tilt is nice as is a remote throttle, but not required.
Mine is a tiller, but I'm considering a Trollmaster

http://trollmasters.com/

fishlessman

« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2018, 10:46 AM »
make sure whatever trolling motor you get that its covered in the install section of trollmaster or the itroll.  had a trollmaster on my old 6hp evinrude for years, broke it last spring and the newer ones will not work with that particular motor. it drives me nuts using the tiller again, really inaccurate speed control with the tiller and walking 10 miles a trip from the steering to the tiller and back gets extremely old

stguy

« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2018, 11:19 AM »
Yup, I jumped on it. About 6 months ago someone posted a '95 Lund Tyee that was set up nice for close to the same money and I slept on it one day too late, so I called this guy immediately and set it up. I've learned it is next to impossible to find a decent 18' or bigger aluminum walkthrough that isn't underpowered and/or with the wrong trailer. Not that I need something with big power, but what is up with all these heavy, 18' to 20' boats with 40 or 50 horse motors on them? If I'm on big water and I need to scoot for some reason I want that ability.

And yes Burgerunh... happy for any suggestions on rod holder placements! I am struggling over the downrigger placement right now as well. This boat has recessed cleats and I don't want to interfere with them.

I've always had my downriggers toward the stern like everybody else..... my new boat they are going to be just forward of midship, seems like it would be a lot easier to work them on the downstream side from the cockpit.

If you can swing it, install one of the track systems, then you can put your rod holders anywhere you want them, same with your downriggers.

Mac Attack

« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2018, 02:34 PM »
8 will work too.

electric start required
alternator output for the battery required
power trim/tilt is nice as is a remote throttle, but not required.
Mine is a tiller, but I'm considering a Trollmaster

http://trollmasters.com/

I just ordered a Trollmaster Pro2 for my Honda.

fishsluggos

« Reply #22 on: Mar 27, 2018, 07:08 PM »

I just ordered a Trollmaster Pro2 for my Honda.

I've heard these are a far better unit than the Trollmaster.

http://www.itroll.us/itroll.buy.html

I have the same unit (new install in 2011) you just ordered and I already had to replace the servo motor on the kicker and last year the remote control wasn't working at the beginning of the season. Not sure what was wrong with it but finally got it to run. 

Mac Attack

« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2018, 07:38 PM »
I've heard these are a far better unit than the Trollmaster.

http://www.itroll.us/itroll.buy.html

I have the same unit (new install in 2011) you just ordered and I already had to replace the servo motor on the kicker and last year the remote control wasn't working at the beginning of the season. Not sure what was wrong with it but finally got it to run.

I heard they are good too.
But about $150 more than what I paid.

Sorry you have had so many problems.
A bud of mine has had one for 4 yrs now and zero issues and trolls like 100X more hours than I do.
One unit doesn't create a great overall review however.
Mine is ordered, and shipped.
Wish me luck.

Jethro

« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2018, 08:28 PM »
So here is a question.. I've done some work on my budget, I have a lot of gear to buy so I don't think I'll be able to afford a big dollar kicker let alone a throttle controller just yet. If I buy a cheap, older 6 or 8 horse, tiller controlled kicker, can I lock the throttle? All tiller motors I've used have been return to idle when you remove your hand. What is the low budget solution here for throttle control? I'll trade up likely next season but want to stay off the big motor as much as I can and have the added security of a spare gas motor when I'm remote camping off the grid.

Mac Attack

« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2018, 08:41 PM »
So here is a question.. I've done some work on my budget, I have a lot of gear to buy so I don't think I'll be able to afford a big dollar kicker let alone a throttle controller just yet. If I buy a cheap, older 6 or 8 horse, tiller controlled kicker, can I lock the throttle? All tiller motors I've used have been return to idle when you remove your hand. What is the low budget solution here for throttle control? I'll trade up likely next season but want to stay off the big motor as much as I can and have the added security of a spare gas motor when I'm remote camping off the grid.

Everything 4-stroke I have ever used had a throttle tension device.
Even the 93 Honda 8hp 4-stroke I had way back on my 25' Trophy.

Bowmandan

« Reply #26 on: Mar 27, 2018, 08:51 PM »
Possibly remove the return spring

fishsluggos

« Reply #27 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:52 PM »

fishsluggos

« Reply #28 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:56 PM »

They typically have a set screw on the throttle handle. Get a two cylinder engine.

Jethro

« Reply #29 on: Mar 30, 2018, 07:40 AM »
I think I have set up a Merc 6 hp four stroke for fairly short money. Looking at it today. It's a single cyl.. am I going to go crazy with the vibration? The plan is really just get by for this season and maybe some of 2019 until I can afford a remote start, power trim unit. Is there some other reason that I'd want to avoid a single cyl motor other than just how much it vibrates?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.