FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ? For the fly guy’s.  (Read 5354 times)

Stickbait

? For the fly guy’s.
« on: Apr 07, 2018, 06:46 AM »
My question is, will a fly rod of higher quality cast further than one of lesser quality?
I have a cheap sci. Angler rod,5/6 wt.9’, paired with matching weight,weight forward line, and can only seem to cast out to 25’or so.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

seamonkey84

Re: ? For the fly guy’s.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Short answer is no. Casting takes a lot of practice, and harder to do correctly if you don’t have someone to coach you. Most fish are caught within 30ft anyway (at least in rivers and streams). I’m on my third year with a fly rod, and I can barely cast out more than the weighted half of my line (I have a line with two colors to show weighted half vs running line) It took me almost a full season and a broken rod before I started to get the feel of what a proper cast feels like with. Then learning that casting weighted flies and nymph rigs have a different technique too.
Here’s a post about the “value” of expensive rods
https://www.maineflyfish.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30840-why-do-i-need-a-high-end-rod/
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

joefishmore

« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2018, 08:52 AM »
Just like any sport, its the ability and a lot of practice. You can practice at home, you don't have to be on water.
Lee Wulff could cast 40 feet without any rod. The rod and the line should match.
I could never see an awful lot of benefit of a fly rod over a spinning rod in this state. More status.

seamonkey84

« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2018, 09:13 AM »
Just like any sport, its the ability and a lot of practice. You can practice at home, you don't have to be on water.
Lee Wulff could cast 40 feet without any rod. The rod and the line should match.
I could never see an awful lot of benefit of a fly rod over a spinning rod in this state. More status.

Casting without a rod?!
 The “benefits” don’t really show unless your trout fishing and there’s a hatch going on. When that happens, I could hardly ever get a bite when throwing lures or worms. Other than that, fish just feel like they fight harder with longer rods. I personally don’t get the snobbery, I still go out with gear and bait depending on my mood. I enjoy casting a fly rod, and going a step beyond that, it feels even more satisfying if you catch a fish on a fly you tied yourself.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

JDK

« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2018, 10:19 AM »
Agree with seamonkey.  I also tend to think it is a function of rod action and line rather than the cost of equipment.  Inexpensive rods are pretty good now a days
# SAND

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Yes, but it largely depends on your skill as a caster.

the biggest advantage of a $500+ rod I imagine is you'll probably put less physical work in (false casting, hauling, shooting line) to get the same distance that's about it. 

I've never used a fly rod over $100 and I've caught lot's of nice fish... jus' sayin'...  ;D

grgs

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2018, 11:50 AM »
To your question, if you are an expert caster you would see minimal gains by buying a very exspensive rod ( $500-$800) and matching line. To me your present setup (rod and line weight) are what it is suppose to be. This setup should be capable of casting 60-80 ft in the hands of a very good caster.
I would go to youtube and look up Kelly Gallup Flyfishing Videos, I am confident that he can help explain some of the questions you have about flyfishing.
Hope this helps.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2018, 12:37 PM »
x2 on using YouTube as a resource, I would've been lost without it learning to fly cast as well as other advanced techniques (hauling, shooting, mending, roll casting, etc).

boondox

« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2018, 01:21 PM »
Ever think after you watch those you tube  videos.. to video record or video tape your casting a few seconds and post it up here to ask what your doing wrong??  Most of the time it's not feeling the rod load on the back cast  or knowing were the starts and stops are..  acceleration into that stop.. 

just let out about 10 to 15 or more  feet and and false cast forward and back wards a few times.. as you go forward accelerate in to the forward stop point!!  the rod should not dip below two  o-clock in front of you..  if 12 o clock is sttight above you and no more then 11 o clock behind you.. do not brake wrist  unless you landing line and laying it on the water..  that is the only time you lower the rod tip and let line settle on water.. how I learned to cast is you got to practice this till you feel the rod load...

if the rod is to stiff like the 500 extra fast action broom sticks they sell you won't feel it load and makes it harder to learn your timing of when to do the forward cast
.. you do this as soon as line tugs back a bit you do the forward cast.. that  tug  is what is know as loading when the rod loads you will feel a tug or jump or bump on the back ward pause ..  that when you accelerate forward in to the stop.. always I try this and when ready  and you know your ready ..

Next try the single haul when you start to feel it load..  how single haul is done you let our line like before..  do the fore and back cast but have extra line trapped under a index finger as you accelerate in to the stop  in front of you..  like before you let go of the index finger and shoot line this takes timeING , patience, and practice to do.. 

after this is the double haul you tug after yhe load on the fore and back cast..  after you  feel the rod load and usally shoot line of forward cast..  it takes time to learn but is reAL fun and easy..  once you get on that bike you will never forget it..

seamonkey84

« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2018, 01:36 PM »
Another thing that really helps is to make sure your rod guides and line are clean. Abrasions and dirt generate a lot of drag and takes the energy from your casts. 

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2018, 04:46 PM »
If you can lay out a nice cast 25 feet with a soft landing for the fly, you'll be all set.  Very few circumstances where you'll need more length than that.  A "frozen rope" at 15 feet is better than a flail and splashy landing at 40 feet.  Fishing pocket water is a lot like a thief working a crowd.  Get close (often within a couple rod lengths), be stealthy, and you'll pick the pockets.

An expensive rod may be an easier casting rod, but that is rarely the deciding factor for a successful fishing day.  I have noticed that less expensive rods load up and cast better when I set them up with a line that is one weight heavier that the one recommended.  I wasn't thrilled with how my 3-weight rod was laying out casts.  "Overweighting" and going up to a 4-weight line was real helpful.

robbfishing

« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2018, 05:22 PM »
Everything Jim said  8) also not all flylines are created equal . Wf shooting taper double taper ect all cast different . Brand specific also .... Stay away from Wally world line

gauge

« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2018, 05:41 PM »
The best advice I was given was to tape my casting so I could see what I was doing right and what I was doing wrong.
I had a friend tape me and I could see my rod tips and watch my loops. Than I could adjust as I saw what I was doing not what I thought I was doing.
Good luck and enjoy!! Ita so much fun once you've nailed it!!

robbfishing

« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2018, 05:56 PM »
It's all in the wrist  8)

fishsluggos

« Reply #14 on: Apr 07, 2018, 09:40 PM »
I once saw Lefty Kreh ( RIP & tight lines) cast 90* around a pole. I asked him what did you just do? He just looked at me and smiled. 

Honesty I prefer casting my TFO 8wt rod than my 9wt Sage RPLXi "rocket launcher" that was more than double the money. Same distance. My favorite was my old retired Fenwick glass rod. It sits on a shelf because I don't ever want to break it. It was a gift from Dad, too many memories.   

My St. Croix 4 wt is a dream to trout fish with. And it was about $100.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.