FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Scouting Report  (Read 1706 times)

bogtrotter

Scouting Report
« on: Apr 07, 2018, 04:49 PM »
Switching over from ice fishing to open water season - - although, ironically, there was a half inch of snow on the ground - - I did some scouting this morning/early afternoon.

Earlier in the week, I caught a glimpse of a pond that (incredibly) I had never noticed before across Route 8 from the Berkshire Mall in Lanesboro. (Just to show how oblivious I can be to my surroundings, I've passed it hundreds of times before, and never even suspected it existed). It lies along Gulf Road and (according to the online map) is a wide spot in the Hoosic River.

Today, I checked out this Gulf Road Pond (which sits behind the Brook Haus restaurant) - - and it looked promising. The only problem was that it was covered with a thin coat of ice - - which, while much too weak to support my weight, was just thick enough to prevent me from fishing it from shore. Oh, well, I'll save it for another day.

Next, I tried to check out Goodrich Pond in Pittsfield. I found it, but could not locate anywhere you can approach it without passing through someone's yard.

Then, I proceeded to West Housatonic Street in Pittsfield, and fished the SW Branch of the Housatonic, where I fished by the Greendale Avenue bridge and under the Clapp Park trestle. Nothing doing. The water was cold and high, with no signs of any fish.

On my way back north, I stopped by the dam and fished the waterfalls where the 1st Cheshire Lake drops down into the South Branch of the Hoosic River. Once again, the water was high - - in fact, it was roaring, and there were no fish to speak of. Ditto for the little "spillway" pond just above the dam.

Finally, I tried my old stand-by brook closer to home and, after a considerable amount of trial and error, finally managed to land a couple small (5" and 6") brookies.

lowaccord66

Re: Scouting Report
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2018, 07:37 AM »
Way to get out Jim.  Farmington river is very fishable and they are eating so if you want to visit let me know.

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2018, 08:58 AM »
With the snow you guys got up there I bet the rivers are going to be running high and cold for at least a few more weeks.  They will have plenty of cold water for the westfield river canoe race in 2 weeks.  Unfortunately I will be sidelined for the event this year.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2018, 03:18 PM »
Water must be down in your neck of the woods.  Noticed they stocked some of your local streams.  Hopefully you can get out this weekend and land a few.

I've taken a handful of casts in some recently stocked waters and have struck out.  I think the water temps are so low they aren't actively feeding right now.  Friend also said that a stocking truck employee said they typically fill their stomachs before putting them in the rivers.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2018, 10:41 AM »

I want more of these.  Will be hunting them tonight into tomorrows opener.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2018, 11:52 AM »

I want more of these.  Will be hunting them tonight into tomorrows opener.

You going topwater? Always fun.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2018, 01:33 PM »
All jigs for me Mike...all the time.  Used to use rapalas a ton now I either flyfish or jig.  Our topwater brown bite at night is a late spring and summer thing.

bogtrotter

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2018, 05:37 PM »
All jigs for me Mike...all the time.  Used to use rapalas a ton now I either flyfish or jig.  Our topwater brown bite at night is a late spring and summer thing.

How did your closing ice fishing session on Lake George go last weekend?

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2018, 08:38 AM »
7 lakers. For a grand total of 134 for the season!

bogtrotter

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2018, 04:01 PM »
7 lakers. For a grand total of 134 for the season!

Wow, that's quite a haul!  Congratulations.

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2018, 06:40 PM »
Wow, that's quite a haul!  Congratulations.

Thanks Jim.  I had a great season.  Started 29 Nov and ended on April 1.  Looking forward to your river reports. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.