FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Using fish as garden fertilizer  (Read 6149 times)

TroutCrazy

Re: Using fish as garden fertilizer
« Reply #15 on: Apr 13, 2018, 08:39 AM »
I'm gonna try it! 
I don't think the neighbor's dog can get in my garden fence.   Maybe a possum, we'll see...

seamonkey84

« Reply #16 on: Apr 13, 2018, 09:24 AM »
There was a discussion on this over at the ice shanty that had some good advice too. https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=358734.0
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #17 on: Apr 15, 2018, 07:59 AM »
Many many years ago, my father and I buried around 50 carp in the garden I shot with the bow. He used the furrowing attachment for his roto tiller to dig deep trenches. Laid the fish in and covered. That year the pepper plants were over shoulder high. Had to cut them out with an axe that fall. Hardly any peppers though. Found out later pepper plants do better in poorer soil

The rest of the garden grew great for several years after that. Now I just bury my trimmings in the compost heap and use that in the garden.

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Always have thrown any dead minnows I find in the bait bucket on the compost pile.
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

zwiggles

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2018, 04:04 PM »
Thanks zwiggles. My parents are from the old country (Poland) and taught me a few things that the "locals" might not know. Funny thing is I am a "local" since I was born in the good ol' US of A so don't take it the wrong way lol.

And since you are off topic on Fungi, My folks are also avid mushroom hunters. Poland is full of Chanterells as well as King Boletes and many other Boletes. I took their knowledge and with some homework I now pick over 30 different edibles in my region. As far as the Indian Pipe Flowers, its almost that time for them to be popping out of the ground. pretty neat looking arent they?

We just got a dusting of snow this morning. I swear winni isn’t going to melt until May at this rate. I’ve been hunting for new plants popping through the past few weeks, but the weather here in New Hampshire is terrible right now. We seem to be a few weeks behind. Hopefully in a few weeks I can actually work out in the garden and try the fish “planting” technique you mentioned.

The Indian pipe and other native flowers are what I find to be really interesting. Everything else you find that flowers in most gardens is from China, and are all more or less the same.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2018, 10:15 AM »
We just got a dusting of snow this morning. I swear winni isn’t going to melt until May at this rate. I’ve been hunting for new plants popping through the past few weeks, but the weather here in New Hampshire is terrible right now. We seem to be a few weeks behind. Hopefully in a few weeks I can actually work out in the garden and try the fish “planting” technique you mentioned.

The Indian pipe and other native flowers are what I find to be really interesting. Everything else you find that flowers in most gardens is from China, and are all more or less the same.

Yeah, kinda sad that there is still so much ice in NH and you cannot legally fish the salmon lakes. Talk about a tease!
Wicked Wec

bootstrap

« Reply #21 on: Apr 30, 2018, 08:42 AM »
i like to dig some holes in the fall and cover them as i go. i also use large flat rocks and plywood etc as covers to help keep the critters out. when the garden is active be more cautious, dig deeper. or use an abandoned spot that you have future plans for.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.