FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Summer cabin rental recommendations  (Read 2536 times)

purduebass

Summer cabin rental recommendations
« on: Apr 14, 2018, 08:42 AM »
I am trying to plan a week long trip with my wife and 2 kids somewhere with a cabin/cottage on a lake that has decent fishing and other activities.  Shoreline fishing or rental boats are a plus if available.   Looking to stay somewhat close, 5 hours or less drive form NWI.  If anyone has positive past experiences, I would love some recommendations.  Thanks in advance, Purduebass

Hankfan24

Re: Summer cabin rental recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2018, 11:08 AM »
Ludington Michigan is a good family spot. All kinds of cabins on the area to rent.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2018, 11:43 AM »
Yep not in Indiana that's for sure.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

abishop

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Hamlin Lake is a great spot. I fished there for 20 plus years. The fishing isn't what it used to be but still a great lake with lots of things to do  near by. Highly recommend it. The state park has all sorts of water toys to rent for the kids.

Daybreak

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2018, 12:19 PM »
Have you looked into cabin rentals on Lake Shafer or Freeman?
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

abishop

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2018, 07:53 PM »
many other places much better. I would not even waste my time. Just me and my 2 cents. LOL

LundProv

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2018, 08:26 PM »
I think this really just depends on what your goals are.  Potato Creek cabins, Sullivan lake cabins, and I am sure there are other state parks - I have had several families come through my office praising their experiences with the cabins right on the water at Patoka and they even could fish right from the cabin.  Now, when it comes to catching,  you will probably catch a few and you might be fortunate and do really well.  I do not think you goal is to fill the freezer but to just chill with your family and not break the bank doing it.  Patoka and Potato creek have nice beaches and good bike trails.  You can find plenty of family cabin/outdoor activities right here in Indiana if you just do a little digging. I would start with the state parks and then look at Sullivan and then Patoka.  Good luck and enjoy your family...

fishingfreak

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2018, 09:40 PM »
Look at Minocqua Wi.  They have hundreds of lakes to choose from in that area.  It is a six hour drive from NWI.  Great fishing in the Northwoods.

Boomer

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2018, 10:14 PM »
In Michigan look around Pentwater. Just south of Ludington. The state park there (Charles Mears) even has one or two rentals.

Potato Creek S.P. in Indiana?  Look quick!  Our rental cabins are really nice and clean but they do fill up very fast. If you have your own boat(s) then maybe Whitewater State Park. You can fish from shore for really good catfishing in Brookville Lake and there is good fishing in the park lake as well as Brookville Lake.

I hear the Patoka has cabins that sit on the water. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Good luck.

kfishdoctor

« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2018, 08:00 AM »
Hamlin lake is a weed pit in the summer and the weather is real hit and miss. Dont go north go south. I will never waste my summer in MI or WI ever again!

lovetfish

« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2018, 08:07 AM »
check out VRBO vacation rentals by owners in the areas you would like to go some great rentals have used for years

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2018, 08:14 AM »
I had trailer on North Bayou on Hamlin Lake back in the day. Good lake but upper lake does get weedy in mid summer.
 3hr drive from Hobart.
Another minus. Non- resident License is $62.00 each!!!!!! Bummer!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

abishop

« Reply #12 on: Apr 15, 2018, 08:30 AM »
I had trailer on North Bayou on Hamlin Lake back in the day. Good lake but upper lake does get weedy in mid summer.
 3hr drive from Hobart.
Another minus. Non- resident License is $62.00 each!!!!!! Bummer!
Teach
Have to watch out for those stumps. I always went in late May or June and the weeds never seemed all that bad. Being a very clear lake you fish just on the edges.

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2018, 08:38 AM »
I think this really just depends on what your goals are.  Potato Creek cabins, Sullivan lake cabins, and I am sure there are other state parks - I have had several families come through my office praising their experiences with the cabins right on the water at Patoka and they even could fish right from the cabin.  Now, when it comes to catching,  you will probably catch a few and you might be fortunate and do really well.  I do not think you goal is to fill the freezer but to just chill with your family and not break the bank doing it.  Patoka and Potato creek have nice beaches and good bike trails.  You can find plenty of family cabin/outdoor activities right here in Indiana if you just do a little digging. I would start with the state parks and then look at Sullivan and then Patoka.  Good luck and enjoy your family...
We stayed at Potato Creek once with the kids and I thought it was really nice. Have friends that do Shakamak 2 a year and love it.

bigr

« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2018, 03:48 AM »
Shakamac st park has good fishing, boat rentals, swimming, hiking, biking.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.