FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Want to get into Fly Fishing...A Newbie Question  (Read 2667 times)

Dankenstein

Re: Want to get into Fly Fishing...A Newbie Question
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2018, 10:54 AM »
Gauge-Thanks for the tip. That's my plan is to set up something in the yard and practice that way. I seen to remember someone using some kind of rubber plug that is for practice casting? Is that a thing or is my memory Hazey from too many Moosehead trips?

That could work.  I just tie a small colorful piece of yarn to the end of my leader.  Easy to see and does not get snagged, plus has a similar weight to a fly. Plus I always seem to be able to come by a piece of yarn or something similar so there is no cost for a special piece to practice.

Jumbos

« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2018, 10:59 AM »
Good call. Thanks. You all have been very helpful. I'm like a sponge right now I can't get enough info!

caught_the_fever

« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2018, 01:09 PM »
Jumbo - after watching ponds boil and nothing in my 50lb spinning tackle bag could entice a bite during hatches, I made the plunge to fly fishing as well.

I'm certainly not an expert but looks like you've received some great advice so far.  I echo Seamonkey's feedback regarding fly fishing specific boards - much like these forums, a wealth of knowledge and experience there.  I have a post re: newbie fishing gear that addresses your "breaking the bank" concern, and a number of individuals far more experienced than myself have commented.

As an owner of an array of LL Bean's outfits, I'd recommend inquiring with them regarding their intended warranty for fly rods going forward.  The price at which I purchased mine was set with the lifetime guarantee.  If this has been cut to one year, you'll likely find some better value elsewhere, though I anticipate LL Bean will continue to stand by its customers with legitimate product quality concerns.  There are a few fly fishing expos that are held each year that enable you to test cast a number of different rods - be sure to consider what line is on each rod when casting and match it if you feel proficient with that set-up, assuming it matches how you wish to fish, as it makes a big difference.

Expecting Bean's remains customer centric w/ their policies, and you can afford it, I would recommend the Double L outfit.  If you're passionate about fishing, the additional monies spent initially will be well worth it for the long term.  My Double L is much more enjoyable for me to fish than my Streamlight - improved casting, feel, etc for me personally - yet forgiving enough for those still learning to cast.

Speaking of which, the most difficult thing for me between spinning rods (as well as years of participating in throwing sports) and fly fishing is not overpowering your forward cast.  If you hear a whip, ease off the throttle a bit.  A casting lesson from Bean's is affordable and beneficial in this regard. 

Dave Whitlock's LL Bean fly fishing book was also helpful to me, and my neighbor to whom I've lent it has also expressed it helping him get into fly fishing as well. 

Good luck and most importantly, have fun! 

Jumbos

« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2018, 01:50 PM »
Man thanks so much for taking the time to respond like that. I am getting so jacked up and I haunt even gotten anything yet haha

robbfishing

« Reply #19 on: Apr 16, 2018, 02:39 PM »
Jumbo's where are you located?

derik

« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2018, 08:54 PM »
I've been fly fishing for a while now, wouldn't say I'm an expert but certainly very proficient.  I've got rods from cabelas, redington, sage, and a few that I've built.  I've cast rods from a bunch of other manufacturers too.  For just getting started there's plenty of entry level rods out there that would suit your purposes.  I'd go with brand names, cabelas, bean, redington, st. Croix.  They all have entry level stuff that's close to the 100 dollar mark or less.  Cabelas has sales going all the time, I started out with the cabelas three forks rod and it's caught tons of fish and I still use it or loan it out sometimes.  The redington classic trout is another rod that I have that I got for like $75 on sale, I still use it all the time.  It's easy to get caught up in how much you can spend, but at the end of the day probably 75% of the fish you catch will be within 3-4rod lengths so a super expensive rod and reel though nice, is not necessary.

I don't think you can go wrong with a combo from cabelas or beans, but personally I wasn't happy with the reel that came with my three forks rod.  There was a gap between the spool and frame of the reel that allowed the line to slip between on the old prestige reels that is annoying.  It may have been addressed with their newer models, but something that you might want to be aware of with combos that come with cast aluminum or composite reels.  Just looking quickly online you can find an affordable combo from cabelas for under 200 easy, even less than that with some of their stuff right now.  I will say that the only rod I ever got rid of was an old crystal river combo that was given to me, and as far as I'm concerned it didn't cast well and it was trash.  That's the only rod I would give a thumbs down to, I caught fish with it but it never felt right casting.

Jumbos

« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:34 PM »
Sweet. I'm taking my time and really learning a lot from you folks. It's good to have options. I guess it's a little easier that the people selling this gear from the sounds of it are very approachable

fishlessman

« Reply #22 on: Apr 17, 2018, 08:42 AM »
i believe tfo still has a no fault warranty, i would probably start there. a liitle pricier than some suggested but really nice casting rods.

seamonkey84

« Reply #23 on: Apr 17, 2018, 08:55 AM »
i believe tfo still has a no fault warranty, i would probably start there. a liitle pricier than some suggested but really nice casting rods.

+1

I love the feel of my TFO pro special  5wt, I got it when it was on sale making it an excellent value. They strive for quality rods without the inflated price.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

sisabdulax

« Reply #24 on: Apr 17, 2018, 09:01 AM »
I agree with TFO great rod, plus the warranty is unbeatable. I own 2 and love them. Its best to start with a decent rod. Best of Luck..

Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.