FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey there Pond People  (Read 1112 times)

TennesseeFreeze

Hey there Pond People
« on: Apr 20, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Hey taxid, Hankfan24, and all you fisherman with ponds.... Do you find your fishes behave the same as "Wild" fish? I realize there are many variables at work here, and the question is not as simple as it sounds. But in general, is there a pretty direct correlation between what you see happening in your fishes more controlled environment, and say a  DNR run property? It should be noted that I do not own a pond.

Super Curious Fellas  ;D

Hankfan24

Re: Hey there Pond People
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2018, 07:54 PM »

Yes and no. The spawning activity takes place around the same time. The difference is that the crappie are a lot less picky about presentation of the lure, and they grow much bigger than average. You can literally catch fish on a bare hook during spawning time.

TennesseeFreeze

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Thanks Hankfan24, very cool  8). Beautiful slice of heaven you have there brother!

MC_angler

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2018, 12:02 PM »
Fishing pressure on a public small lake can drastically alter fish behavior and size structure. There have been studies done on small lakes that were closed to fishing, and then subsequently opened to fishing. Size structure often takes an immediate hit, and in highly pressured lakes even bass that get caught and released start getting very picky and harder to catch

There's a reason that the fishing is amazing way up north in Minnesota, the UP, Canada, even though most of those bodies of water are way less productive and have lower biomass. They have way lower fishing pressure

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Largemouth get tough to catch in smaller bodies of water where there is catch and release as they get conditioned to avoid baits. This happens in lakes that are hit heavy by tournaments every weekend but not as much as the ponds as there is more water and more fish in the larger bodies of water. 

My ponds are different than typical as my fish are feed trained and fed pellets and I don't mess with them until it's time to take them out and sell them sold whole froze to taxidermists and replica makers.

My bluegill and yellow perch spawn earlier than the natural lakes as the ponds are smaller and hence warm faster.

I haven't had bass in my ponds for several years but will start rearing them again this year.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.