FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Very slow day(s)  (Read 3269 times)

maxma

Very slow day(s)
« on: Jul 01, 2018, 10:53 AM »
Have been fishing quabbin reservoir for bass for a couple days since Thursday.

Got a 2 pounder on Thursday after 5 hours on the water. And just one baby bass on Friday. Nothing on Saturday.

Is it just me or it was because of the hot & humid weather? Usually my friend and I should get at least several bass during any quabbin trip....

Any opinions guys?

CMD1987

Re: Very slow day(s)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2018, 11:29 AM »

Got a 2 pounder on Thursday after 5 hours on the water. And just one baby bass on Friday. Nothing on Saturday.

Is it just me or it was because of the hot & humid weather? Usually my friend and I should get at least several bass during any quabbin trip....

Any opinions guys?

Heat/high pressure = bad daytime fishing

At least that’s what I’ve found

Baitbucket

« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2018, 12:07 PM »

Any opinions guys?

Ive been out 3 times in the past week. The fishing has been VERY slow. In talking to all my buddies who also fish it, and are d**n good fisherman, it has been slow for them too.  You can pound the shore lines for the 12in Male smallies who are still trying to spawn, but im all set with that. I wont be heading back out there till there is a break in this weather.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2018, 12:08 PM »
Bluebird skies and bright sun turn off a lot of fish species. Walleyes out my way are notorious for shutting down completely on days like that. With the water clarity of Quabbin (I was there last Thursday thanks to Bait Bucket) I wouldn't be surprised if the bass just hunker down on the bottom just below secchi dish clarity which I'd guess is about 25 feet on Quabbin? If you could fish at low light periods morning and evening there I'll bet it would be a whole different ball game.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2018, 08:41 AM »
I agree Cecil, below 25ft is where I get them. I get loads of bass there when its hot.  Sometimes the hotter the better.  Structure in 40-60 sometimes deeper.  Ive caught smallies in large schools as deep as 80ft.  Bonus is we get a number of lakers in the process.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2018, 09:39 AM »
I also agree with Cecil and Jon. Go deep or go home. 25-35' is where I would target them especially in sandy areas around sparse rock cover.
Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2018, 09:40 AM »
I agree Cecil, below 25ft is where I get them. I get loads of bass there when its hot.  Sometimes the hotter the better.  Structure in 40-60 sometimes deeper.  Ive caught smallies in large schools as deep as 80ft.  Bonus is we get a number of lakers in the process.

That's amazing they are down there in that cold water but I've seen it out here too. I'm sure they are after the same thing the lakers are -- smelt. Years ago when I did an outdoor column I went out gill netting with a local biologist. We were netting smallmouth at 40 feet, which was deeper than even the rainbows. Another thing I learned on that trip I would never have guessed, is common white suckers don't just feed on the bottom. We got them in the gill nets and they were suspended far up off the bottom and feeding on zooplankton. Would not have even thought they were suited for that due to the position of their mouths. Never say never in nature!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2018, 09:42 AM »
BTW anyone know if Quabbin has crayfish? Baitbucket assumed so, but didn't know for sure. Seems it would be great habitat for crayfish and crayfish and smallmouth bass go together like kids and a pool.

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2018, 09:43 AM »
Yup.  You can even buy them at some of the baitshops.  Deep diving cranks in crawfish pattern work well!

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2018, 09:47 AM »
Yup.  You can even buy them at some of the baitshops.  Deep diving cranks in crawfish pattern work well!

I thought so. When I skin out smallmouth they ALWAYS have crayfish in them. ALWAYS! No exceptions.

maxma

« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2018, 11:56 AM »
Thank you all guys!

Never thought of going deeper for bass. I knew they must be somewhere hiding from the sun but did not think they can still be feeding.

As Baitbucket said, it may not be a good idea to go fishing until a break in this weather comes.

Most of the time we were only fishing surface. And fishing surface under 90 F, sucks.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2018, 12:14 PM »
If you try again...drop shotting deep is the ticket.  I bump up the weights to 1oz or sometimes a bit more if its windy.  We will usually use 2 drift socks and cover structure drifting the boat sideways.  Lots of offshore structure to be hit this time of year.   Taking a break definetly equals no fish...keep in mind there's a lot of favorable water temp to fish...its just deeper than the average joe is comfortable fishing.  Lakers for example we catch on the bottom in 90-130 now.

Baitbucket

« Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Did 6 hours on the Q Sunday. Fished depths from 5ft to 90ft. Using drop shot, bladebait, ned rig, jigs, and shiners. We couldnt get a sniff. I saw one fish caught all day. It was a 12in smallie on the bank.

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Jul 02, 2018, 12:36 PM »
Did 6 hours on the Q Sunday. Fished depths from 5ft to 90ft. Using drop shot, bladebait, ned rig, jigs, and shiners. We couldnt get a sniff. I saw one fish caught all day. It was a 12in smallie on the bank.

Sucks. Stop fishing 2 and 3 my man!   When it gets that slow we dont drop lines until the finder is stacked.  Sometimes it takes 6 hours of searching...better luck next time.

Baitbucket

« Reply #14 on: Jul 02, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Odd part is, we were marking fish, they just weren't eating

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.