FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Quabbin tonight (update)  (Read 1890 times)

stripernut

Quabbin tonight (update)
« on: Jul 03, 2018, 09:26 AM »
I am heading out to the Q if anyone would like to join me for a long walk and a bunch of fish on topwater... I want to use my night vision camera and can't fish and film at the same time... It is very cool how the fishes eyes glow when hit with the IR light! PM if interested...

Baitbucket

Re: Quabbin tonight
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2018, 01:46 PM »
Wish I could make it man. Water temps were 78deg Sunday down our regular stretch.

bigbellybilly

« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2018, 04:51 PM »
Would like to join but wife made plans heading out in morning

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2018, 06:50 AM »
No takers last night so I headed down alone. Since I was alone I wanted to try an area that that was iffy in terms of fishable shoreline. I walked in dressed in my mosquito bite proof clothes, wishing it would cool off faster... I got to the water and the light breeze did not help with the bugs. 98% of the time the mosquito stop being a bother by 10:00, but it was still a little early and I was worried that I would get carried away. I had my head net on and plenty of DEET on the back of my hands, so I did not get bite much... It was one of the first times I had a mosquito bite me on the pad of my index finger... The water was higher than I thought and I ended up with only about 100 yards of shoreline to fish. I did get one nice Smallie that gave a great fight, it hit way out and jumped like crazy (even for a Small Mouth). I could not bring myself to walk a couple miles to the next spot I had in mind, so early night it was... I do think that if I had hit one of my "normal" spots, I would have cleaned up...

It has been a tough year to get out fishing with a new job taking up ALL my time... But I am looking forward to my next trip down to the Q!

Baitbucket

Re: Quabbin tonight (update)
« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2018, 09:20 AM »
Nice job Allan. Thats more than ive caught my last two trips in the boat lol

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Nice smallie 🎣

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2018, 09:25 AM »
Nice Allan!  Where can I find the bite proof clothes? DEET made me very sick Sunday...I actually still have some burns on my arms from it.  My body doesnt like that stuff anywhere near me.

stripernut

« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2018, 10:21 AM »
New jeans and soft canvas long sleeve shirt... Hot but keeps 99% of them from getting me.

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2018, 11:06 AM »
Id rather be hot.  Have a great 4th!

dumbba

« Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 2018, 11:46 AM »
Nice smallie Allan.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #10 on: Jul 04, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Id rather be hot.  Have a great 4th!

Jon
 If your going to use long sleeve clothing with pants,get the Sawyers tick and mosquito spray for your cloths sneakers and hat. I use it for hunting and believe me it keeps the ticks,mosquitos and black flies away. I do use a net over my face turkey hunting mostly for camo and the black flies.
Hang your clothing and spray them in a well vented location.Wait two hours before wearing your clothing
 Each application will last up to six weeks and you can wash your cloths up to three times.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #11 on: Jul 04, 2018, 11:52 AM »
Nice fish Alan.
No bear this time?

stripernut

« Reply #12 on: Jul 04, 2018, 12:48 PM »
No bear this time... After all the years I have spent out there, night and day and only having one close encounter I should not spend so much time at night when I am alone looking behind me...

The worst part about the mosquitos last night was the noise/buzzing, it was nearly deafening and it went on the whole time I was fishing... Not as bad as one-night fishing the Q (about 35 years ago), the crickets were going at it so loud, that I would put my rod down and cover my ears for a little break. At least they don't bite!

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Jul 05, 2018, 06:11 AM »
Thats a shame Allan.  I chased one day before yesterday.  He was very close to getting into the trash.

Baitbucket

« Reply #14 on: Jul 06, 2018, 08:28 AM »
Nice Allan!  Where can I find the bite proof clothes? DEET made me very sick Sunday...I actually still have some burns on my arms from it.  My body doesnt like that stuff anywhere near me.

Jon, try Picardin. It doesnt use DEET and is more effective than DEET.  Its also safer on plastics and synthetics (clothing) than DEET. Also repels Culex mosquitoes, which can spread West Nile disease and deer ticks, which can spread Lyme disease. I use the spray can.

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP564-Repellent-Picaridin/dp/B01G9G9KEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530882855&sr=8-1&keywords=picardin&th=1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.