FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: BOOM goes the Battery!!  (Read 3699 times)

Baitbucket

BOOM goes the Battery!!
« on: Jul 07, 2018, 01:45 PM »
Last trip out i noticed one of my 24v battery banks for the trolling motor was acting up. I checked them out and all looked fine. So i figured I must have forgotten to hook them to the charger. So i hook them up to my onboard charger last night, get out on the water, and i got no juice. I open the battery compartment to find the top of the battery blown off! Im not sure what caused the issue.

As you can see by the manufacturer date (9/15) this is a pretty new battery. Especially considering that i didn't buy it till 4/2016. With only 6 months of use per year at the Quabbin, this thing has seen about a full year of use.

Ill be bringing it back to WalMart to see what they can do for me...

The scary part is, i have 3 more in the boat right now... :o

zwiggles

Re: BOOM goes the Battery!!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2018, 03:40 PM »
Good luck sir, that looks like a whole lot of bummer... at least you weren’t stranded anywhere.

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Glad all is ok.
Would it possibly be a case of over charging? Faulty charger?
I have personally seen this happen to a over charged battery.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

boondox

« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2018, 04:56 PM »
Still made by Johnson controls??  Had one internally short and die on me this year my self in my van??  bought it  less then a year ago so they damaged swapped it out.. that was the nice thing.. mine was a max with 3 or 5 year full replacement warranty ...I was smelling hydrogen gas LIke cloreaen from a swimming pool smell and then it croaked a month or two later.. might have been internally shorted?? Funny thing is my old ranger my mothers car even have two batteries for the boat that are good??  and have been reliable the old batteries were made by Johnson controls questions is yours??

boondox

« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2018, 05:06 PM »
Also some newer battery chargers have different setting like slead lead acid/agm ,conventinal low maintenance ,and deep cycle.. each is a setting on my charger if you try charging a agm battery with the low maintenance charge circuit it could do the same or even deep cycle with a low maintenance setting. Might but not sure would have to look ..

Baitbucket

« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Glad all is ok.
Would it possibly be a case of over charging? Faulty charger?
I have personally seen this happen to a over charged battery.

I have a 2 bank onbaord charger from cabelas made by Pro Mariner. I bought them last year.

How can you tell if its over charging?

TT

« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2018, 06:11 PM »
Make sure you wash down and rinse out the compartment well and rinse the bilge well.

Baitbucket

« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2018, 06:34 PM »
Make sure you wash down and rinse out the compartment well and rinse the bilge well.

Covered everything with baking soda, which neutralizes the acid, then scooped out what i could. Everything got a good rinse afterward.

boondox

« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2018, 07:06 PM »
Hope you got a fire extinguisher on borad too cause you said you got 3 more??

boondox

« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2018, 07:19 PM »
If replacing with a different battery how about optima ?? Twice the price $232.99 for the 75-25 model number.. that's just for one replace them as they go out? Here is a link to the battery at auto zone it has 3 yr warranty..  I belive there a sealed glass Matt type battery??  so use caution with your charger.. make sure it will work with it..   if you go with them had one going on 6 year before I sold it with the car a taurus it was in...the regular duralast batteries only have one year warranty and are around $95 so that from $232 Is what if you replace the battery every year?? Or so.. oh by the way is this in a low lying area of the boat were battery gasses could built up and maybe a arc blew it up?? It happens like on trickle chargers some time kick on and boom ...

https://m.autozone.com/miscellaneous-non-automotive/marine-battery/optima-battery/310356_0_0?location=

boondox

« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2018, 07:29 PM »
This is what I get for searching deep cycle battery at autozone.  I get a regular marine battery the battery should be this model at this price..  I don't think it's worth it unless you do?? 2yr warranty at $271.99 I would just buy the better wally world battery? I think those have 3 yr warranty not sure though been a while since I bought one..

https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneous-non-automotive/marine-battery/optima-battery/310360_0_0?location=

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2018, 08:09 PM »
i have that same battery.... i will have to watch out i guess....

Baitbucket

« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2018, 08:34 AM »
Hope you got a fire extinguisher on borad too cause you said you got 3 more??

I do have a fire extinguisher.

My trolling motor is 24v so i have 2x 12v batteries in series. I have 2 more 12v in series in the front for the trolling motor as well. This allows me to troll all day (8+ hrs) using the trolling motor.

I may look into the plastic housing you can drop your battery into, if it will fit into where i keep my battery

Edit.. Ordered two cases off amazon for 12$ each for the 27 Group Size. The smaller sizes are cheaper. I strongly suggest you guys get one for each of your batteries to contain the acid if there is a blow out.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Jul 08, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Outstanding idea Will. I have also ruined a a couple pair of jeans from the battery acid moving batteries around for my Inverters I use for power back up of my basement fish tanks. Did some damage to the epoxy covered floor too.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #14 on: Jul 08, 2018, 11:30 AM »
I have a 2 bank onbaord charger from cabelas made by Pro Mariner. I bought them last year.

How can you tell if its over charging?

Not sure on that. In my case the battery was on a emergency generator(the battery blew when the generator went to start I was 3 feet away) . The technician that came indicated a over charge of the battery.

Good idea with the battery box.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.