FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crawler harness organizer  (Read 2731 times)

fishinjohn

Crawler harness organizer
« on: Jul 15, 2018, 06:33 PM »
I have all sorts of shapes,sizes,and lengths of crawler harnesses.. I'm looking to make my inventory neater and easier to access what I'm looking for.. right now I really dont have a good way to get these organized and keep them neat.. I've tried the organizers that you can wrap around but I dont like those because some of my harnesses are made out of flouro, and over time the memory makes them curly...
What do you use?

gotagetm

Re: Crawler harness organizer
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2018, 06:55 PM »
john i have tons of harnesses i tie
mine are only about 8 inches long ,ive tried everything to store them
all i use are ziplock snack size bags
i put same color ones in same bag and store them in a cheap lock lid container about a foot long by 8 inches wide and 8 inches tall
also when i change mine i hang dry them and when put back in bag dont zip bag all the way so they can vent and hooks dont rust
also in bottom of container i have a bag of "boil in bag "rice and it seems to suck up all moister if any gets in there i just put a new bag in when it looks funky
just my opinion on what i use,ive tryed everything on market
and on a note i tie all mine with a good swivel tied on end and if using a bouncer i just make a leader cause there short
hope it helps
Fish On!!!!!!

boondox

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2018, 07:22 PM »
Why not just get a swimming pool swim noodle?? If planning to wrap them around something?? I made mine .. I  used a long steak knife to cut aprox 12 inch lengths of pool noodle .. by the way hit the dollar stores see what you can find in there?? Found pool noodles at mine last april.. buck a piece for 48 inch long foam cylinders that are about 3 inch round then get those thick plano boxes the 3 inch round noodles fit in.. basically same as Amish ottfitters or just go to janns fabric see if you can get 1/2 thick foam and make the Amish ottfitters version cheaper?? It's your choise??   By the way I use a paper towEl holder and pull leads off while fishing for steel head.. those pool noodles fit my towel holder nicely..

fishinjohn

« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2018, 04:34 AM »
Why not just get a swimming pool swim noodle?? If planning to wrap them around something?? I made mine .. I  used a long steak knife to cut aprox 12 inch lengths of pool noodle .. by the way hit the dollar stores see what you can find in there?? Found pool noodles at mine last april.. buck a piece for 48 inch long foam cylinders that are about 3 inch round then get those thick plano boxes the 3 inch round noodles fit in.. basically same as Amish ottfitters or just go to janns fabric see if you can get 1/2 thick foam and make the Amish ottfitters version cheaper?? It's your choise??   By the way I use a paper towEl holder and pull leads off while fishing for steel head.. those pool noodles fit my towel holder nicely..
I like the idea for sure! Might have to experiment
THANK YOU

reeleyz

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2018, 06:44 AM »
I use a swimming pool noodle for my harnesses, leaders, and flys for salmon. Works great for burying the hooks.

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2018, 07:31 AM »
problem I have is mine aren't all same lengths so those won't work for me I dont think

Mine are all not same length and unit works fine.
Clip them with the little pins on the leader, wrap them, and then stick the hook(s) into the foam pad.

I really like these units.
Not as cheap as noodles, but way less tangles, etc.

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2018, 10:41 PM »
I use a pool noodle also, I start with the hook end buried in the noodle. when i get to the end of the leader,I put a roof nail thru the loop or 3 way swivel at the end into the noodle. This helps me find the end of the harness and less tangles.

Pequod1

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2018, 04:56 AM »
I am just wondering if you guys use a treble hook on the tail end of the harness. I do and even though I wrap the hRness around a store bought spool, on of the three points does not embed in the foam and sticks out.  I tend to stick that point in me a lot and need ideas to. cover the exposed point besides the obvious corks. Anything else out there?

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2018, 06:37 AM »
Maybe a little piece cut off a straw, maybe a cocktail straw depending on hook size.

caribou

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2018, 06:42 AM »
FOAM EAR PLUGS WORK GREAT FOR EXPOSED HOOKS AND THEY ARE CHEAP

iceman260

« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2018, 07:36 AM »
I use foam pipe insulation. Get the smallest diameter, I put the loop end on first and wrap the harness over it then bury the hook when it is tight. These will fit in regular size plano boxes.

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2018, 07:39 AM »
I use Mac's setup. It;s the best I've tried so far. works well with harnesses of various leader length - fluoro or steel. I'm going to order a second box real soon.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

skinny40

« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2018, 01:13 PM »
I would like to just shorten mine all to less than 12" and use a swivel....they would all store nicely....then id have a bad day and be re doing them all to long leaders again....just always a mess in the dark....always hook myself....never run treble hooks cause i smash them off the bottom like a rookie every time....i just wrap them up and put them in old ziplocks.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.