FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Am I the only one fishing in NH anymore?  (Read 5235 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Am I the only one fishing in NH anymore?
« on: Jul 31, 2018, 07:31 AM »
Why is this part of the forum so dead? Thank goodness for the Maine board.

zwiggles

Re: Am I the only one fishing in NH anymore?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2018, 09:43 AM »
For a variety of reasons I have only been a handful of times so far, and nothing really worthwhile to report. A few skunkings looking for stripers, and a few skunkings trying to learn to fly fish.

Hopefully I get a chance to do more this fall.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Have you seen the RI board? I do not even bother in it anymore, just post to MA mostly even though I fish in RI. I think I can say the same for CT.

As mentioned on here many times before, I am sure Facebook is the culprit but I would not know since I do not use it.

Between Ice shanty and MFF there have been some amazing people that opened up their arms to me as if I was family and let me tag along with them on their adventures and I cannot thank them enough. I will continue to be on these forums to pass along the good fortune I have had.
Wicked Wec

Hottuna5150

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2018, 04:42 PM »
I feel your pain zwiggles

Jethro

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2018, 08:50 AM »
Yeah, I agree with FB being the culprit.

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2018, 09:55 AM »
I think a lot of it also has to do with life getting in the way. I know several of the regular posters where my age (early 30s), and I imagine kids/life/work just doesn’t allow for much posting over here anymore.

Jack1972

« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2018, 11:29 AM »
I've noticed & thought the same Jethro.  I can always find the time to post but stories of getting skunked aren't super exciting for others to read.

Jakemanges1

« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2018, 01:08 PM »
I think it’s got everything to do with social media. What keeps ice shanty alive is the constant communication about ice conditions.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2018, 02:15 PM »
I think you're right. A taxidermy forum I frequent is all but dead with all the taxidermy groups on facebook.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2018, 02:28 PM »
Take a second and look at the handful of members on this site that participate regularly. From New England alone I can count them on 2 hands and thats pushing it.
Wicked Wec

zwiggles

« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2018, 06:12 PM »
Take a second and look at the handful of members on this site that participate regularly. From New England alone I can count them on 2 hands and thats pushing it.

There’s more than that on the Maine board alone.

But it is slow. When you read back through some of the old posts you can really see the difference, but some of the long timers are still around.

FB going open to the public really seemed to mark a turn in the activity.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2018, 02:31 PM »
Not just FB but moderation kills participation...people want to be off color, people want to swear.  Im totally fine with the rules here and dont use FB but heavy handed moderation...calling out new users in a new thread for having a swear word absolutely destroys participation.

Instagram kills a platform like this much worse than FB...and heck if you get enough followers you can quit your day job.  (I don't get down with that either) 

NH Trout Fisherman

• MFF Mod Team
  • FISHIN 4 BIG TROUT!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 06, 2018, 09:01 AM »
Not just FB but moderation kills participation...people want to be off color, people want to swear.  Im totally fine with the rules here and dont use FB but heavy handed moderation...calling out new users in a new thread for having a swear word absolutely destroys participation.

Instagram kills a platform like this much worse than FB...and heck if you get enough followers you can quit your day job.  (I don't get down with that either)

I retired as moderator here and on the Ice Shanty. 10 years of people griping and bashing each other. That's the real reason for the decline. Everyone is over on Facebook now... That's because the A Holes are tolerated a little more over there BUT You get twice as much garbage posts to weed through than You do actual posts that are worth reading.

Plus the fact that most smart phones are alot more compatible with Facebook for pictures etc. 

Jethro

« Reply #13 on: Aug 06, 2018, 12:23 PM »
BUT You get twice as much garbage posts to weed through than You do actual posts that are worth reading.

That's for sure. I'm really hoping FB self destructs at some point.

zwiggles

« Reply #14 on: Aug 06, 2018, 12:37 PM »
That's for sure. I'm really hoping FB self destructs at some point.

It will once people wake up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.