FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Labor Day Pig on a Frog  (Read 3304 times)

westernmas

Labor Day Pig on a Frog
« on: Sep 04, 2018, 08:26 AM »
Since Labor Day turned out to be such a beautiful day my girlfriend and I decided to beat the crowds and heat by taking our kayaks up to Buckley Dunton. It was an easy ten degrees cooler up there with much less humidity. The fish did not cooperate at first so we decided to moved into a shallow cove. After getting a tangle out of tree and breaking the tip of my rod I decided to switch over to a a frog. Annoyed my gf was stuck in yet another tree, I let her deal with her own snag while I fished the surface. After maybe my fifth cast I tossed one right near a stump. I saw a big swirl and set the hook once I felt weight. The line barely moved so I knew I had a nice one. After a fun fight I was able to pull up my second largest bass to date and my biggest ever on the surface at 4.9lbs. It was the only fish of the day but more than made up for a poor start to the afternoon.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Knot there yet

Re: Labor Day Pig on a Frog
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2018, 09:01 AM »
Nice fish. Topwater nothing better

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2018, 09:08 AM »
Nice bass congrats 👍
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2018, 09:10 AM »
Looks to be worth it. At least she didn’t stop the camera in the lake!

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2018, 04:10 PM »
Looks to be worth it. At least she didn’t stop the camera in the lake!

Oh we've been through that during hard water.  It made for a LONG ride home.  I however can't complain when she is asking me to go out in the kayaks.  If I need to deal with some snags then so be it.  The rod was on its last leg anyway and it gives me an excuse to go down to Cabelas and load up for my trip to Saranac this weekend.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Bartman44

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2018, 04:19 PM »
Nice fatty.

bogtrotter

« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2018, 07:00 PM »
Congamond?

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2018, 07:20 PM »
Oh we've been through that during hard water.  It made for a LONG ride home.  I however can't complain when she is asking me to go out in the kayaks.  If I need to deal with some snags then so be it.  The rod was on its last leg anyway and it gives me an excuse to go down to Cabelas and load up for my trip to Saranac this weekend.

The two of you flyfish well together at least.  Nice bass Pat.

manitron

« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2018, 07:35 PM »

Way easier to buy new rod than find a new girlfriend who is willing to fish with you.

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2018, 07:53 PM »
Way easier to buy new rod than find a new girlfriend who is willing to fish with you.

Sound advice Manny.  Hope you're well.

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #10 on: Sep 04, 2018, 09:27 PM »
Nice job Pat. My wife has gotten the saltwater itch this year with my new boat. She can't wait to get out fishing again. LOl. She even got her 1st Canal fish this year. A 5lbs Tatog on a Sebile stick shad. :o seen it all now. She'll never hit the ice though.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #11 on: Sep 05, 2018, 04:28 AM »
Nice fish Pat.
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #12 on: Sep 05, 2018, 08:30 AM »
Thanks gentleman.  Its part of the learning curve.  We were all there at some point.  I went and replaced the rod last night with a St. Croix Premier.  Per usual, I walked out of cabelas spending way more than I had planned.  But at least I'm loaded up for Saranac this weekend.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

« Reply #13 on: Sep 05, 2018, 08:30 AM »
Congamond?

Closer to your neck of the woods.  Buckley Dunton
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #14 on: Sep 05, 2018, 08:35 AM »
Thanks gentleman.  Its part of the learning curve.  We were all there at some point.  I went and replaced the rod last night with a St. Croix Premier.  Per usual, I walked out of cabelas spending way more than I had planned.  But at least I'm loaded up for Saranac this weekend.
LOL I know the feeling. The place is 10 minutes from my house. I call it the $100 store. Very rarely come out of there with out dropping a $100. Got to go there today actually. There goes another $100 :P
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.