FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Another New Critter At The Coast  (Read 2396 times)

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
Another New Critter At The Coast
« on: Sep 09, 2018, 04:45 AM »
A few years ago we caught some black sea bass around Harpswell and at that time the state wasn't aware of them being here, so there was no limit. Since then they have copied the regulations of our southern states. Now another southern fish has appeared on the scene. Check this out.

Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

woodchip1

Re: Another New Critter At The Coast
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2018, 06:32 AM »
What is it  called  ? is it a needle fish

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2018, 06:55 AM »
Caught lots of needle fish in Jamaica....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

GasBlaster

• Welcomes green fish !!

seamonkey84

« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2018, 08:21 AM »
The warm current coming up from the gulf brings all sorts of stuff up. There’s a group that goes out during the fall and collect fish that get trapped in these pockets of warm water and bring home for their tanks or donate them to the aquarium. http://www.neadc.org/lng_tropfishhunt.html
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2018, 08:28 AM »
Ballyhoo ?

Looks like one. It’s really strange that there “bill” extends from the lower jaw. Neat find.

fish wayniac

« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2018, 08:50 AM »
Bob, I am sure that was a surprise! Any Stripers that outing? I have been striking out now that the water warmed. 

Queequeg

« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2018, 09:12 AM »
A few years ago we caught some black sea bass around Harpswell and at that time the state wasn't aware of them being here, so there was no limit. Since then they have copied the regulations of our southern states. Now another southern fish has appeared on the scene. Check this out.

That is an Atlantic Saury, not a southern species at all, distributed across the entire north Atlantic and found in the Gulf of Maine, Scotian shelf, Gulf of St. Lawrence etc.  other species that are widely distributed across the North Atlantic like Atlantic bonito and Little Tunny have also been seen and caught this year in the Gulf of Maine and sometimes because they are not seen often they appear new.  Many of these fish don't always make it in to the coastal margin (which is why people sometimes think they are displaced), but they abundant in the region and throughout the entire north Atlantic. Thought I'd pass the info along.  Good luck the rest of the season. 

Baydog

« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2018, 06:54 PM »
That is an Atlantic Saury, not a southern species at all, distributed across the entire north Atlantic and found in the Gulf of Maine, Scotian shelf, Gulf of St. Lawrence etc.  other species that are widely distributed across the North Atlantic like Atlantic bonito and Little Tunny have also been seen and caught this year in the Gulf of Maine and sometimes because they are not seen often they appear new.  Many of these fish don't always make it in to the coastal margin (which is why people sometimes think they are displaced), but they abundant in the region and throughout the entire north Atlantic. Thought I'd pass the info along.  Good luck the rest of the season.
Holy god! So friggen happy we don't have to get into a global warming conversation on this one!

seamonkey84

« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2018, 07:16 PM »
Holy god! So friggen happy we don't have to get into a global warming conversation on this one!
:w00t: ::)
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Interesting, Bob.  What did you catch it on?

fishless12

« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2018, 01:43 AM »
Half beak. They're super cool, when tuna chase them the whole school goes in and out of the water.

joefishmore

« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2018, 08:29 AM »
Bob, I am sure that was a surprise! Any Stripers that outing? I have been striking out now that the water warmed.

7 schoolies in yarmouth area Sunday.

MG39

« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2018, 06:45 AM »

Hi Wayne. The striper fishing has been outstanding the past couple of weeks. Last trip we got over three dozen on Sunday with Bill (Blueberryman) and his son Craig and when I fished with Jim (fishalot) last week we got at least 30. Can't brag about any monsters but a lot of fish in the old slot. Biggest so far has been a few over 30.
I'm excited about what the next couple of years will bring. A large amount of 18-23" fish.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

MG39

« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2018, 06:46 AM »
Interesting, Bob.  What did you catch it on?
Hi Jim,
I didn't catch it, someone else did.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.