FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: wheres the sebago derby results  (Read 3908 times)

joefishmore

Re: wheres the sebago derby results
« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2018, 06:17 AM »
If they are blind how do they feed ?

woodchip1

« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2018, 06:31 AM »
Only good fishermen can catch blind Salmon ( must be sound and Oder)

seamonkey84

« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2018, 08:56 AM »
Lateral line and scense of smell. If they follow the school of other salmon (using its lateral line) they can probably pick up scraps or be able to scense the injured fish from the others hitting the bait school.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

gamefisher

« Reply #18 on: Sep 14, 2018, 10:21 AM »
Thanks!!! That's interesting.

Isn't there a chemical in the alewives that effects the salmons eyesight?

The scars that where on the one I caught where running latterly along its back, I've seen a fish that had been grabbed by a bird and this was different.

Thiaminase from alewives is far harder on salmon than thiaminase from smelt.  Poor growth, loss of appetite, immune system deficiencies, etc. 

stguy

« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2018, 11:10 AM »
Only good fishermen can catch blind Salmon ( must be sound and Oder)

Not sure how sound I am, but I am definitely od

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #20 on: Sep 14, 2018, 11:40 AM »

I'm a retired Maine F&W fisheries biologist. I have seen a few jet-black salmon in my career and some that were totally black on one side and totally normal coloration on the other side. The ones that are black on both sides are blind fish, and the ones that are only black on ones side are only blind on one side. The usual cause is eagle or osprey talons but the bird dropped the fish and the injury caused nerve damage followed by blindness.

that is really interesting, I had no idea.

trout/salmon have some of the best sense of smell out of the game-fish world, better than Bass & Pike I believe.

zwiggles

« Reply #21 on: Sep 14, 2018, 12:16 PM »
that is really interesting, I had no idea.

trout/salmon have some of the best sense of smell out of the game-fish world, better than Bass & Pike I believe.

Don’t the Atlantic’s supposedly find their home rivers with their sense of smell? I would think if they can travel thousands of miles via the smell of a river that they could catch a smelt or two.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2018, 09:28 AM »
Don’t the Atlantic’s supposedly find their home rivers with their sense of smell? I would think if they can travel thousands of miles via the smell of a river that they could catch a smelt or two.

yeah, something like that for sure I remember reading, I think they can sense the unique chemical trace of the water they were born in.

stguy

« Reply #23 on: Oct 10, 2018, 09:00 AM »
So the count on the fish turned in was somewhere around 140, a few had to be "taken away" but where still tagged but not in the final count.

I've had a few people ask what happens with the money raised from the tournament.

It goes towards youth lifetime fishing licenses, this year the club gave away 10 lifetime licenses.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.