FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Heading out to Salmon River  (Read 3260 times)

stripernut

Heading out to Salmon River
« on: Sep 16, 2018, 11:04 AM »
My son is flying in from CO for a visit and I am picking him up in Providence and driving out to Palasky to fish with some guides he knows out there. Reports are good for Kings and Cohos. I hope to fish Monday night and Tuesday morning... This will be my first time out there to fish, I will bring lots of gear, but we plan to focus on fly fishing. We will be fishing the salt later next week and hope to get out for some funny fish...

Any tips on fishing out that way would be great... Especially anything (besides the usual) that I might want to bring?

Thanks and report to follow!

One more thing, is there any spots on the shore of Ontario (in that area) that I might try a few casts at night from? I would like to see what I can get with a Jitterbug from shore out there!

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
Re: Heading out to Salmon River
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Pulaski  ;D good luck
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2018, 02:02 PM »
Pulaski  ;D good luck

I wanted to do that so bad.. 8)
Good luck stripernut.. Might be there myself...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2018, 08:43 PM »
My son is flying in from CO for a visit and I am picking him up in Providence and driving out to Palasky to fish with some guides he knows out there. Reports are good for Kings and Cohos. I hope to fish Monday night and Tuesday morning... This will be my first time out there to fish, I will bring lots of gear, but we plan to focus on fly fishing. We will be fishing the salt later next week and hope to get out for some funny fish...

Any tips on fishing out that way would be great... Especially anything (besides the usual) that I might want to bring?

Thanks and report to follow!

One more thing, is there any spots on the shore of Ontario (in that area) that I might try a few casts at night from? I would like to see what I can get with a Jitterbug from shore out there!
plenty of funny fish around but extremely finicky. was casting into them all day with no takers.

dumbba

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2018, 07:13 AM »
Good luck! Always looks to be a great trip on the Salmon River.

westernmas

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2018, 08:26 AM »
Stop in at one of the local fly shops.  They are always very helpful.  Typically with the salmon you really almost floss the fly in their teeth or get them to hit out of aggression.  I've had the best luck with weighted eggs flys that get down quick to get the fly in the strike zone or I'll throw flesh type flies in bright colors like pink or purple in faster water.  The latter of the two was more successful last year but I usually only go up later for steelhead.  In the end it is salmonoid fishing so a lot of the flies you use for trout around here will work.  Just make sure you are using stronger hooks.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2018, 01:25 PM »
Hope you meant Monday and Tuesday of next week.  There was a big push of fish last night into this morning.

10:30 AM fishing report 19 Sep 18
9/19/2018

10:30 AM River Patrol fishing report:  estuary section reports that the area is "crammed with fish" and "you cannot cast anywhere without hooking fish" - lower and middle sections sections are seeing fish movement throughout those sections - upper section has been active all morning - they're here - what a difference one day makes!

initial fishing report 19 Sep 18
9/19/2018

7:30 AM River Patrol fishing report: constant heavy push of fish into the lower end of the run - mix of Kings and Cohos - fish movement reported throughout all sections of the run - water temperature at 61 degrees as of 6:10 AM - heavy overcast, dead calm

early morning fishing report 19 Sep 18
9/19/2018

yesterday at the 10:30 AM report there was some indication of fish movement into the estuary - last night's updated fishing report confirmed that there were fish moving into the estuary in good numbers - just received a 6:30 AM report from the River Patrol, paddling in the estuary section of the DSR, that there were enough fish moving into the bottom of the run that "they were rocking my boat" - FISH ON!!!  Water temperature at 6:10 AM was 61 degrees.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

filetandrelease

« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2018, 03:38 PM »

Any pics

stripernut

« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2018, 03:46 PM »
Picked up my son at 7 am in Providence and drove out, stopped at a local shop, loaded up on flies and hit the afternoon bite... We did get a few hits but no hookups, saw 3 fish caught, watch a few fish in the water, but they looked tired and beat up. I fished the next morning with even less luck and had to make the drive back. My son stayed and fished a different section and some fresh fish had come in and he hooked and landed a 20lb that jumped 3 times and took him for a swim down the river... I am sorry that I was not there to watch... I think I will go back, but not for salmon and focus on browns and steelhead, more my cup of tea...

filetandrelease

« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2018, 03:55 PM »

Nice

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2018, 05:13 PM »
Nice looking fish.
Congrats

westernmas

« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2018, 09:10 AM »
Picked up my son at 7 am in Providence and drove out, stopped at a local shop, loaded up on flies and hit the afternoon bite... We did get a few hits but no hookups, saw 3 fish caught, watch a few fish in the water, but they looked tired and beat up. I fished the next morning with even less luck and had to make the drive back. My son stayed and fished a different section and some fresh fish had come in and he hooked and landed a 20lb that jumped 3 times and took him for a swim down the river... I am sorry that I was not there to watch... I think I will go back, but not for salmon and focus on browns and steelhead, more my cup of tea...

Thats a great fish.  Dont get discouraged it took me over 5 years of going to the salmon river to finally land a fish of any size.  I hooked many but could never manage to land one.  And I agree, there is something alluring about catching a 20+lb salmon but it also comes with heavy fishing pressure.  If you go back toward the end of October or early November the crowds thin out but there are still plenty of fish in the river.  However, you sacrifice the comfort of fishing 50-70 degree days and have to deal 30-50 degree weather and sometimes feet of snow.  I'll take the cold, snow and less fishing pressure 9/10 times.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Ill be there in the cold!

Knot there yet

« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2018, 10:57 AM »
I go in January and it will still be crowded

westernmas

« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2018, 12:21 PM »
I go in January and it will still be crowded

Nothing like it is for salmon season though.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.