FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 1st time to Erie for me and 11Yr Old  (Read 1101 times)

satyr36

1st time to Erie for me and 11Yr Old
« on: Sep 18, 2018, 05:58 AM »
We're going with a seasoned friend for a camping / fishing trip. Just wondering any pointers you veterans could give to help the trip be successful with the boy? I want him askin mom next time to go so I need him to love it :D  He's been camping many times just not out on a bigger boat / lake for hours! He is a fishing freak also!

Any meds you recommend so we both stay healthy feeling and dont get seasick ?
Is it wise to keep hydrated / drink a lot of water while out? Or that make things worse?
Snacks / cooler items?  Take his iPod?
What do you not leave home without?

tater140

Re: 1st time to Erie for me and 11Yr Old
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2018, 08:31 AM »
Sounds like a good time to me.  It hear the perch bite is picking up a bit again out there.  They walleye has been some of the best fishing in years. 
Where are you planning on camping/fishing out of?
I haven't seen people get as seasick out on Erie... Not saying it can't happen, i just haven't seen it happen as much as I have on boats out on the gulf, etc... I don't know, but suspect that maybe setting in the bottom of the boat playing on an ipad may setup someone to potentially get seasick as opposed to looking out over the edge of the boat.  If he gets bored perch fishing put a casting harness and a nightcrawler on for him and let him practice casting and reeling back in (constant casting action always entertained me as a kid).  That should keep him entertained and there is always a good chance he could hook a big sheephead for a good tussle, or maybe even a walleye depending where your at.
As hot as it's been lately I think it's always wise to stay hydrated.  Snacks are always good to bring along with kids while fishing... Heck who am i kidding I like snacks too.
As of now it looks pretty windy on friday and saturday... I hope that changes for you, I know it's a bit early to tell just yet. 

satyr36

« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2018, 09:14 AM »
Thanks Tater.

We're staying at East Harbor State Park - the fishing "depends where the fish are" is what my buddy says..

Its the weekend of the 29th so hopefully this weekend is windy and the next isnt :D

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Keep the young one on fish,you have to keep his interest. Fish for anything that will bite and hope you mix in what you really want. Hopefully your seasoned veteran can put you on fish. You should plan on having some other interest on board as a time consumer so you don't start hearing are we done yet or can we go back. Good luck and enjoy the memories. Time well spent regardless of success.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.