FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sandy Neck Fishing ?  (Read 2246 times)

Koissu

Sandy Neck Fishing ?
« on: Sep 20, 2018, 11:30 AM »
Hello friends to the south (Vermont here)! I am camping with some buddies at sandy neck beach this weekend and am wondering if there are any good fishing opportunities right now. I was thinking of just bringing a heavy rod and casting out into the ocean with a slip sinker rig and worm, but I have no idea what type of fish there are there. I won't be fishing on the way or elsewhere on the cape, so really just wondering if 'beach fishing' is possible or just a waste of time lugging extra stuff 3 miles in. Thanks!!

westernmas

Re: Sandy Neck Fishing ?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Bring the gear.  There are plenty of stripers in that general area.  Mostly schoolies but the cape cod bay is still fishing pretty good.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Koissu

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2018, 02:21 PM »
Bring the gear.  There are plenty of stripers in that general area.  Mostly schoolies but the cape cod bay is still fishing pretty good.

Any tips for fishing from shore? Better off casting and retrieving w/ a swim bat / crank or some sort of stationary setup?

Are striper any good to eat?

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2018, 03:02 PM »
Any tips for fishing from shore? Better off casting and retrieving w/ a swim bat / crank or some sort of stationary setup?

Are striper any good to eat?

Very good to eat.  Please check the regs on size and creel limits.

I've never fished that area so hopefully others chime in.  Typically you can catch them with both methods.  From my experience people mostly soak bait (chunk bait, clams, worms, eels, etc.) unless they see fish breaking or know exactly where to fish during the tides.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Chunking at night with cut bunker will give you an opportunity to land a brown shark. Eels or bunker during the day for bass and blue fish. seaworms for scup. As mentioned, check out the regulations.
Wicked Wec

200fisher

« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2018, 05:49 PM »

You will need a saltwater fishing license...
“Half the people I know are below average"  -Steven Wright

bootstrap

« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2018, 06:48 PM »
and some beer

Koissu

« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2018, 05:34 PM »
and some beer

ha bootstrap! Nice to see you on the summer forum in MA.

Koissu

« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2018, 05:35 PM »
You will need a saltwater fishing license...

Got that. My question is the regs say 28" 'size limit'. Is that actually the maximum size you can keep? Never seen limits by max and not min. Also what does 'The discard of dead legal sized striped bass is unlawful.' mean..

CMD1987

« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2018, 07:18 PM »
Got that. My question is the regs say 28" 'size limit'. Is that actually the maximum size you can keep? Never seen limits by max and not min. Also what does 'The discard of dead legal sized striped bass is unlawful.' mean..

28” MINIMUM size limit

That phrase means you cannot throw away a dead striped bass to keep a larger one.

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2018, 12:30 PM »
If all else fails use a Ploover for bait. Plenty of them around to shut down some of the beach area. Good luck you can get some nice fish there if they are around.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2018, 08:45 AM »
If all else fails use a Ploover for bait. Plenty of them around to shut down some of the beach area. Good luck you can get some nice fish there if they are around.

LMFAO
Wicked Wec

Knot there yet

« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2018, 04:46 AM »
You may want to put a float in front of that worm to keep off the bottom away from the crabs.With the Price of worms these days.

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 AM »

With how many rangers there are in the Cape you'd be caught instantly...fun fact...don't let them catch you taking a nap.  They will give you the boot.  Even with an oversand permit...in your own vehicle.

Also avoid the worms. Waste of time and effort for stripers now. Scup will pick you clean.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2018, 09:10 PM »
Chunk a small bonito. That seems to be the ticket recently.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.