FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New Species on the Fly Rod  (Read 2456 times)

westernmas

New Species on the Fly Rod
« on: Nov 21, 2018, 08:42 AM »
Well I had debated posting about this but in looking at other forums/blogs it seems like the cat is out of the bag.  After getting a nice skunking on the Salmon River I had heard rumors of atlantic salmon being caught in MA on the fly rod.  I had last Friday off so me and a buddy decide to try our luck at landing one of the beasts.  We didn't get to the river until about 2 and right when we got to the water we could see huge fish tailing around in the gravel.  I headed up stream and focused my efforts on a pod of about 6-10 salmon with good sized brookies and bows mixed in.  After about an hour of no luck I switched to a small olive bugger and hooked one in the mouth but the hook-up lasted all of 2 seconds.  Next fish I saw go for the fly I set harder but ended up snagging the fish in the back.  After a fight that I let go too long I finally broke the fish off.  I hooked into 2 more and landed both, one on a small bugger and the other on a soft hackle egg pattern.  The strength of these fish along with the acrobatics that they incorporate into the fight is amazing.  I'm glad I brought the 6wt so I could keep the fight to a minimum.  Its a once in a decade event in this state and I'm glad that I got to be a part of it.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
Re: New Species on the Fly Rod
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2018, 09:30 AM »
I may have to head out to that river instead of my normal haunts.

filetandrelease

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2018, 11:53 AM »

Well done 🎣

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2018, 12:06 PM »
Very nice!!!
Wicked Wec

manitron

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Great work Pat!

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Awesome work Pat. That isnt an easy feat.

bogtrotter

« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2018, 09:03 PM »
Congratulations!  That's truly quite an accomplishment.

I'm impressed but puzzled.

I thought the USFWS stopped stocking salmon in the CT River system (the only one in MA that I'm aware of they're stocking with salmon) a few years ago because of the poor return on investment.

I had heard of a few lakes in MA that have landlocks, but wasn't aware of any streams in MA that still have salmon.

Is the DFW stocking them, or are there self-sustaining populations in a few streams.  Either way, it's good news.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2018, 09:25 PM »

I thought the USFWS stopped stocking salmon in the CT River system (the only one in MA that I'm aware of they're stocking with salmon) a few years ago because of the poor return on investment.

I had heard of a few lakes in MA that have landlocks, but wasn't aware of any streams in MA that still have salmon.

Is the DFW stocking them, or are there self-sustaining populations in a few streams.  Either way, it's good news.
Wachusett and quabbin tribs have them.

CMD1987

« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:27 AM »

They can be caught every fall in the tribs of Wachusett. Only in heavy rain years when they spill over the dam into the river at Quabbin. Though I suppose they will be in the quabbin River all winter now and until higher temps in the spring kill them off. So prolly have time to target them for a few months there.

Some nice ones from Wachusett tribs this year (male then female):

Also worth noting the Wachusett population is self-sustaining. The quabbin population is stocked. Very important to catch and release breeding salmon in Wachusett rivers.

Nice fish in the original post! Gotta love the landlockeds!!!

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2018, 01:26 PM »

Pulled this buck out of the same place and lost a giant hen around 6lbs at the net as it wouldnt fit in it.

westernmas

« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2018, 04:01 PM »

Pulled this buck out of the same place and lost a giant hen around 6lbs at the net as it wouldnt fit in it.

Nice work!
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2018, 08:34 PM »

Another one

scooper47

« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2019, 07:55 AM »
As Bogtrotter said, these are landlocked salmon not Atlantic. You can get a serious fine just for photographing Atlantic salmon you catch (check the regs). Landlocked are a different species and can live their entire lives in fresh water.

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2019, 08:30 PM »
As Bogtrotter said, these are landlocked salmon not Atlantic. You can get a serious fine just for photographing Atlantic salmon you catch (check the regs). Landlocked are a different species and can live their entire lives in fresh water.

Since we are going to bring law into this.... ::)

You're more likely to see a ghost than an EPO in mass.  Ive watched guys throw gill nets in front of fish ladders and there were no EPO's on duty to give the 'serious fines'.

Jeff M

« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2019, 10:02 PM »
I believe Feds are still stocking Atlantics in the CT. River. They made a hugh discovery two years ago. They were using well water to raise the salmon until smolts. Then releasing them into the river system. They thought they would imprint once in the river. It turns out the salmon imprint on the river water when very young. Using the well water the did not imprint. The hatchery is now pulling water from the river. This was discovered when some of the salmon stocked into the Winooski River did not return from the lake but other salmon from another hatchery did return. Only difference was river water vs well water to raise the salmon. More info on VT fish and wildlife website. They wrote about five articles covering this discovery. Hopefully we start to see some salmon returning in two to three years with better results.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.