FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Did some scouting this morning...  (Read 8710 times)

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
Did some scouting this morning...
« on: Mar 30, 2019, 10:23 AM »
Got up early to take the hound for a run and check some boat ramps. Found quite a bit of open water but nothing completely open yet, a couple ramp roads were walkable but too icy to get down with truck and trailer. A few more days of warmer weather and rain will have my first spots golden. Now if the state would get my boat registration back to me, sent it in 3 weeks ago and no return yet. Most years I get it back in 10 days or so... Trying to be patient lol.
One of the spot I check has a bunch of trails through the woods that are great for the hound so off we go for some exercise, most of you that know me or seen my past fish pics know I was a big guy at around 300 pounds, over the last year I've got my self down to around 190 with clean eating and lots of hiking and running wooded trails. Never had a spill or a twisted ankle or anything like that in the last year till this morning, I was blasting down a trail trying my damnedest to keep up with Jezzabelle at full sprint and out of nowhere her nose catches something and she puts the brakes on hard right in front of me... I tried to jump over her and went completely ass over kneecap. I get up and brush myself off and all seems well until I feel something warm running down my cheek and neck, wipe my face and my hand comes back soaked in blood... I flip my hoodie up and just keep pressure on for the 3 mile walk back to the car, by then the bleeding had slowed enough to bypass the e.r. and head home to deal with it myself... Not too bad but have had better Saturday mornings lol
Not quite a fishing story but close haha... Something to add to the attempt to jumpstart this page...
Anyone else do something stupid this morning??

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
Re: Did some scouting this morning...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2019, 12:33 PM »
Great report and pics, Stealth. Well, not necessarily the eye one.  :(
That looks almost stitch worthy? Not playing that down, but it was a ways from your heart and if I were you, I'd be grateful I didn't break a bone in that crash.
I was checking a pond the other day, and had a much (actually, two) less dramatic and slow motion (cuz that's how I roll these days) trips. Pretty embarrassing, but the only damage was my pride and some muddy, wet Carhart's.
A huge congrats on your weight loss! You gotta feel better?

FWIW, I would never trust the state with my boat regs!
I always brought them to a local boat shop. Heard town clerks can do it also?
Good to hear you didn't do more damage.
Have a great open water season.

Johnnh

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2019, 12:34 PM »
Looks like you took a good hit. Glad your ok

AquaAssassin

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2019, 01:58 PM »
Congrats on the weight loss that’s awesome! The gash makes you look tougher that’s all  8)
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2019, 07:13 AM »
Thanks guys, the ole noggin is ringing this morning. CD glad you only ended up wet in your stumbles.. slow or fast we aren't meant to bounce off the ground lol. I'm always really careful in my foot placement on the trails, I've already got an ankle full of stainless screws and rods, though dumping the weight has been a huge stress off of said ankle. And yup Frank, chicks dig scars lol... now I just gotta come up with a better story than my dog wiped me out on a trail... Maybe wheel kicked in a bar fight?lol

Roccus

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2019, 08:07 AM »
Scars are our bona fides.
Nice story. The ice going to go quicker than most people think..as I said on shanty, we lost 8 to 10" on a lake I fish, in a single week and it isn't even that warm. .this time of year it gets worked on from both sides..
Be careful out there with the dogs.

jibbs

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2019, 10:15 AM »
Good one slim..I took a brutal left hand at Plymouth years ago from a football player and it left a gash like that one..had too student teach the next day..lol..played it off to a car accident..get it stitched..I waited and it pretty easy to see..take care
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Streamfisha

• Poolguy on IS
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2019, 03:26 PM »
Awesome job on losing the weight Stealth ..keep up the good work 👍🏻   won’t be long before things really open up
The lake I was fishing yesterday lost 6” last week...an the southern edges are opened out about 3’
I’m gettin excited seeing the streams full and running not to high...I have a stream I’ve been eyeing since last year that I’m excited to hit...got permission from the land owner to access his land

bikrsrule

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2019, 05:28 PM »
For what its worth,I rode by sunapee yesterday and they were fishing it on the ice, rode by massabesic yesterday around noon and they were fishing it too (by boat)..ice is gone..quite a difference in not that many miles..

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2019, 07:11 PM »
slow or fast we aren't meant to bounce off the ground lol.
Ain't that the truth! 
And, getting up was a lot slower then it used to be....  :(
Hope your noggin's feeling better tomorrow.

DIW

« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2019, 06:34 AM »
For what its worth,I rode by sunapee yesterday and they were fishing it on the ice, rode by massabesic yesterday around noon and they were fishing it too (by boat)..ice is gone..quite a difference in not that many miles..

Good Morning - please confirm, Massabesic is completely Ice-Out already?  As a resident of northern MA, Massabesic is my closest "Bigger" lake which I try to fish as much as possible.  I too did some area recon on Sunday.  My first stop was Potanipo in Brookline, it was virtually locked-up still with at least 80% ice cover.  I was surprised given so many other small bodies of water in my area are open.  I presumed Massabesic was still icy too and didnt make the trip to investigate further.  <silly wabbit>

Did you notice if the small PVC dock was in place forming the double sand ramp or were folks launching without it? 

Thanks

Roccus

« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2019, 08:35 AM »
Got up early to take the hound for a run and check some boat ramps. Found quite a bit of open water but nothing completely open yet, a couple ramp roads were walkable but too icy to get down with truck and trailer. A few more days of warmer weather and rain will have my first spots golden. Now if the state would get my boat registration back to me, sent it in 3 weeks ago and no return yet. Most years I get it back in 10 days or so... Trying to be patient lol.
One of the spot I check has a bunch of trails through the woods that are great for the hound so off we go for some exercise, most of you that know me or seen my past fish pics know I was a big guy at around 300 pounds, over the last year I've got my self down to around 190 with clean eating and lots of hiking and running wooded trails. Never had a spill or a twisted ankle or anything like that in the last year till this morning, I was blasting down a trail trying my damnedest to keep up with Jezzabelle at full sprint and out of nowhere her nose catches something and she puts the brakes on hard right in front of me... I tried to jump over her and went completely ass over kneecap. I get up and brush myself off and all seems well until I feel something warm running down my cheek and neck, wipe my face and my hand comes back soaked in blood... I flip my hoodie up and just keep pressure on for the 3 mile walk back to the car, by then the bleeding had slowed enough to bypass the e.r. and head home to deal with it myself... Not too bad but have had better Saturday mornings lol
Not quite a fishing story but close haha... Something to add to the attempt to jumpstart this page...
Anyone else do something stupid this morning??

.Btw, congrats on the weight loss. Your knees. Back and hips will thank you for it. .

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2019, 06:46 PM »
Congrats on the weight loss not an easy thing to do. I agree with Seahunt (I like CD better) about the stitching.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2019, 07:29 PM »
Oh wow, that's a rough one. Congrats about the weight loss thing, awesome news, I've been way to heavy for years. What gave you the inspiration? My doctor is getting close to being mine,  I need to work on it now!

bikrsrule

« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2019, 03:58 AM »
DIW. I dont think the pvc docks were there when I went by on Saturday, I would imagine you could launch without them being there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.