FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: March Highlights and Winter Summary  (Read 2339 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
March Highlights and Winter Summary
« on: Mar 30, 2019, 03:32 PM »
The challenges and opportunities provided by March changed every few days.  Flows were low much of time and fish stayed tight to cover, with downed trees, brush, and woody debris being the cover of choice.

I was able pick up a mix of salmon and brookies by carefully working this cover with small jigs.  The New Moon period seemed to produce the most aggressive takes.

When I talk of small jigs, here are a couple of examples that worked well.  Preferences varied between plastics and marabou, so trial was necessary for success.  I was surprised that I was able to keep most of the fish hooked on the small lures!  The 32* water probably helped.  I doubt I would have fared so well with amped up fish in 50* water ;D

Mid-month had a long stretch with night time temps down to 10* or so, which expanded skim ice along the shorelines.  I'm always leery of wading around the edges of the skim for fear of slicing my waders.  The ice edge also led to precarious camera work and less than optimal pics.

The combination of rain and snowmelt late in the month bumped flows, opened up more water,  got fish moving into mid-stream areas, and willing to chase spoons or tube jigs fished with a swimming retrieve.  Pink and chartreuse were popular tube colors.

Late month also brought more browns into the mix.  This guy wasn't huge, but was a welcome strike where a brook tumbled into a legally open stretch of river.

The month closed out with a nice push of respectable browns not too far from a tributary mouth. 

As a whole, the first 3 months of 2019 were a PB for me on open water for any January through March.  Historically, these months (particularly February and March) have been low points for open water fishing.  If  2019 is the new "normal", I'll gladly take it 8)

zwiggles

Re: March Highlights and Winter Summary
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2019, 05:18 PM »
Those last few browns look like they have some “shoulders”!

Awesome pics and a great story as always!

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2019, 05:49 PM »
Nice fish Jim, I'll second the nice browns, they looked healthy.

Won't be long and you'll be seeing rises. ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

Jim C.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2019, 07:31 PM »
I have seen a few rises, Bob.  Not enough to target yet and they were in spots where a flyrod would be darn near impossible. 

Nice fish Jim, I'll second the nice browns, they looked healthy.

Won't be long and you'll be seeing rises. ;D

fish wayniac

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2019, 06:27 AM »
Jim, You had a great winter of open water fishing while most of us were standing on ice. Great description of what enticed the bite. Beautiful fish!

deerhunter

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2019, 06:53 AM »
those are nice pics and them brookies and browns are nice lookin fish

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2019, 11:38 AM »
wow,  I need to fish with you next winter! those salmon make me jealous! lotta males/kypes, looks like the brown at the end even has one!

but i'm really surprised that you're still catching stocked brookies this "late" in the winter, i always assumed (at least in my area) that the fall yearlings don't "last" very long post-spawning season.  You really have winter fishing figured out...

franklin fisher

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2019, 04:05 PM »
Great mix of fish. I like those small jigs. Similar to what I use ice fishing.

Jim C.

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2019, 07:20 PM »
Thanks, Randall.  That last brown had a bit of a cross kype.  Neat fish.

Definitely finding some brookies that are lasting the winter.  Also some pretty clean ones that may be multi-year fish, plus on occasional small one that is likely wild/native.

I'm learning, but have a long way to go.  Mother Nature always has the upper hand.  The fish movements are interesting and when I think I have them figured out, a curve ball is thrown ;D

wow,  I need to fish with you next winter! those salmon make me jealous! lotta males/kypes, looks like the brown at the end even has one!

but i'm really surprised that you're still catching stocked brookies this "late" in the winter, i always assumed (at least in my area) that the fall yearlings don't "last" very long post-spawning season.  You really have winter fishing figured out...

Jim C.

« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2019, 07:23 PM »
Thanks.  The small jigs just plain work most of the time.  Great lately since I think the fish are starting to trigger on naturals like black stoneflies.  As an added bonus, they are cheaper to use around brush and snags than spoons and crankbaits. ;)

Great mix of fish. I like those small jigs. Similar to what I use ice fishing.

caught_the_fever

« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2019, 05:59 PM »

I'm learning, but have a long way to go.  Mother Nature always has the upper hand.  The fish movements are interesting and when I think I have them figured out, a curve ball is thrown ;D

If you have a long way to go, I must have just taken my first crawl in a journey of 10,000 steps!   Impressive report - way to get after them.   I don't wish to play a spoiler, but given a beautiful day today, I'm almost willing to bet April has already been crossed off if you were able to get out today.

Jim C.

« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2019, 06:56 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  And yes, April is in the books even if today didn't play out the way I expected.

If you have a long way to go, I must have just taken my first crawl in a journey of 10,000 steps!   Impressive report - way to get after them.   I don't wish to play a spoiler, but given a beautiful day today, I'm almost willing to bet April has already been crossed off if you were able to get out today.

caught_the_fever

« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2019, 12:10 PM »
Congrats Jim!  I'm looking forward to another monthly recap. 

Jim C.

« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2019, 02:02 PM »
Thanks, Mike. I took a skunking today!  First one in about 4 months.  April can be rugged on open water....tougher than winter :P

Congrats Jim!  I'm looking forward to another monthly recap.

caught_the_fever

« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2019, 12:03 PM »
I guess it's the uncertainty (more for some than others!) that keeps us coming back for more.   I'd like to get out for a brief period this weekend; however, the search for a house will take priority over the search for fish.   With the little guy a bit more mobile, I'm looking forward to exposing him to some fishing though he won't be participating per se.  Goal 1 is to keep him out of the water with showing him a fish being a very close second.   He's already developing an appreciation for being outside and I'm loving it. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.